Table 3

Discussion in 'Missions Center' started by baktic, Dec 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. botherer

botherer Active Agent

Argh. Desperately need a significant nudge on

the Bonfire of the Vanities one. I figured it all out nice and quickly, but I absolutely cannot fathom what specific word it is they're after to describe what goes on the fire. I've waited a day to unlock all the clues, and they only tell me what I already know. Even ploughed through a thesaurus to no avail. Which flipping word do they want?!

2. Bateleur

Bateleur Active Agent

Make sure you're looking into
    the historical event and not the book or film of the same name. There is a specific phrase that was used to describe them.

Orion likes this.
  3. botherer

botherer Active Agent

Thank you. I was looking at the historical event, but somehow skimmed over that phrase in the Wikipedia page, then didn't find it in any of the 2094842 different articles I found elsewhere : )

4. suinicide

suinicide Active Agent

Could anyone give me a hint on the table 3 connections, marie part. I know I'm suppose to look at broad connections, but I don't really have anything I can think of.

5. suinicide

suinicide Active Agent

I'm pretty sure i know what it is now, but I can't find the exact wording, could someone toss me a clue?

6. bladedraconis

bladedraconis Senior Agent

@themadhuman Hey, I don't remember the Marie connection. Can you help?

7. themadhuman

themadhuman Division-79

If something not on this plane, like say a demon, wants to effect something on this plane they use this to control a host. Homonym--Something I own is my______?

Nisbett and Orion like this.
  8. suinicide

suinicide Active Agent

That's what I thought! But I couldn't figure out a way to spell it on the wheel. I'll take another look, thank you.

Edit: Is the wheel suppose to go off the screen? Because that's the only reason I can think of for why I'm having such difficulty with this. I even went around and tried every selection to try and fill in the missing letters.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  9. themadhuman

themadhuman Division-79

I'll take a look and get back with you.

10. themadhuman

themadhuman Division-79

OK, so I restarted my game just to verify-in case something was changed or there is fault in my memory, happens a lot. But it was as advertised.
    marie connection - Copy.jpg
    I just now noticed your comment about the wheel going off the screen, try playing in windowed mode-not full screen and try it in different resolutions...

Mr.Anderson likes this.
  11. suinicide

suinicide Active Agent

Ah yes that did it! Thank you very much!

themadhuman likes this.
  12. [KZK] sammi

[KZK] sammi Active Agent

I am stuck on Texts. A nudge would be helpful. And appreciated. And could someone explain to me how the spoiler links work? I can't seem to figure those out. I feel pretty stupid right about now.

Thanks,

~sammi

ETA:
    Nevermind, I solved it, and I figured out the spoilers. Does no one read the forums anymore?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  13. exibition

exibition Senior Agent

Hello, I need some help on the
    Bonfire of Vanities
    puzzle.
    I researched everything on
    Savonarola and the Piagnoni/Weepers
    , but I cannot find for the love of God anything that fits the Sigil.
    The hints in the puzzle are:
    original sin, Savonarola, Dominican Order, mirror, bonfire of vanities
    but I cannot translate it in anything useful in the Sigil.

14. themadhuman

themadhuman Division-79

external circumstances--whether of things or persons--which either because of their special nature or because of the frailty common to humanity or peculiar to some individual, incite or entice one to sin.----you could just google that definition

15. berzerk0

berzerk0 Active Agent

Look closely at what is mentioned in the text clue - a fire uses fuel

16. exibition

exibition Senior Agent

Thanks a lot!!
    However, it baffles me how we are supposed to cling to such flimsy connections when all the clues and hints of the puzzle point somewhere else... the only connection is the first sentence of the wikipedia entry...

17. Atryx10

Atryx10 Active Agent

I've solved the bottom one for "Charlotte Perkins Gilman" and the 2 bottom ones for "Marie Laveau".
    The rest I will never figure out. Please help.

18. berzerk0

berzerk0 Active Agent

What you are looking at is the final puzzle - and it's meant to be tough.
    • Each clue you enter right is only valid for a certain period of time, wait too long and the card will change.
    • However, each position has only 4-5 possible cards
    • This allows you to break up the puzzle into bite-sized pieces that can be handled one at a time.
    • When you close and re-open the puzzle, it can reset and the cards on the table will change.
    This leads us to my strategy:

1. Go around each position solving as many cards as you can - when you solve one, write down the answer. You're going to have to input them quickly to make the best use of the time
    2. Your first go-arounds you will not necessarily be trying to solve the whole puzzle, just certain cards.
    3. Accrue enough answers until you can solve the majority of the cards in each position - if you get stuck you can try to get strategic.
    4. Get strategic - there will be a point where you can close and re-open the puzzle over and over trying to get cards you know how to solve. By definition, the more solutions you have, the more likely it is that solved cards will be on the table. If you keep resetting and getting unlucky, your chances aren't high enough and you need to solve more cards.
    5. You don't need to solve ALL the cards - some appear to be a lot tougher than others. But you can reset as many times as you need to to get "friendlier" cards that you've already solved.
    Here is an ARG Trick borrowed from another Alice and Smith Game - not a spoiler per se but it may "spoil the magic" for some puzzlers
    A trick explained in the Black Watchmen is to use reverse image search. Taking a screenshot of a card's art and using that image as an entry in a search engine will provide new avenues of information. There are some tricks that are outright explained in The Black Watchmen, another Alice and Smith game, that aren't explained directly in Ahnayro but are still very useful

19. berzerk0

berzerk0 Active Agent

I just realized I wasn't talking about what you meant Atryx10, but I'll leave the last post up for posterity (assuming our benevolent and attractive Mods don't mind)

Now I don't remember the puzzles exactly, but I can view the answers and throw some helpful information or thought processes in to help out

Charlotte Perkins Top Left Clue:
    That group of women have a family resemblance, perhaps they are sisters. The only clue that seems out of place here is a picture of a Fox - but it is placed right next to these women.
    Charlotte Perkins Top Left Bigger Clue:
    Vulpes Sororibus

Charlotte Perkins Top Right Clue:
    Only two things in life are certain, and I don't see anything about accountants in this game.
    Charlotte Perkins Top Right Bigger Clue:
    Quod tu es, ego fui, quod ego sum, tu eris.
    Or at the Cappela dos Ossos: "We bones, lying here bare, await yours"

Marie Laveau Top Clue:
    Who is Deimos' twin? Greek dieites are often used as the root of words - is there a word, or maybe a prefix or suffix that seems to come from this entity?
    Look at the images, listen to the voiceover - Where are we? What type of surroundings?
    Marie Laveau Top Bigger Clue:
    Why do kids need night lights? Are some places scarier at different times of the day? What are our surroundings again? What time of day is it?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Orion likes this.
  20. Atryx10

Atryx10 Active Agent

I'm watching.
    Thank you, Though you might want to fix your spoilers a bit.
    I also don't get anything useful from using the TLBC in my searches.
    What I have gathered before coming here is
    Three fox-sisters
    But I haven't found any word that can be used in the sigil.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017