New Theme - Your Vote

Discussion in 'General' started by Anashel, Jul 9, 2014.

?

What theme do you like more

Poll closed Jul 16, 2014.
  1. The Black Watchmen

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  2. The Black Watchmen v2

18 vote(s)
    62.1%
  3. TBW - Comic Book

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Active Agent

My vote also goes to V1. ;)

2. Santiak

Santiak MIA

While I don't know if this will be a binary yes/no vote, it might be an idea to list the reasons why we prefer one over the other, so that, in case this isn't the final-final versions we're voting on, alterations can be made, and a nice common-ground theme can be found, instead of the near-50/50 split we have now. :)

Just to sum up some of the issues posted in the thread thus far (forgive me if I've misunderstood the points you might've tried to make, it's hell-degrees outside, so my mind is working at low efficiency):

Black Watchmen V2:
    Cons:
    - Teal colouring on Staff posts interferes with white text
    - Comic elements undesireable, i.e. a more "clean" theme.
    - Orange text/button preferable to Teal (Split opinions on this; some prefer teal, some prefer orange)
    - Comic elements unaligned on cellphone (It's actually the woman from the comic you see when using a cellphone, on my end at least)

Pros:
    - Visually unique
    - Unique colour-pairing (Tan/Teal)

Black Watchmen:
    Cons:
    - Disconnected from the game, nothing uniquely TBW

Pros:
    - "Standard" colouring suitable for a base theme.

General wants:
    - Balanced colours, vis-à-vis "base theme".
    - Unintrusive yet unique.
    - Something TBW-esque, but not necessarily over-reliant on comic elements.

I've likely missed some aspects, so feel free to remind me of them, or expound more on your own reasons as to why/why not. ;)

That being said, my own elaborations:

Black Watchmen V2:
    I very much like the colour-pairing; it feels unique, and gives a nice "pop", for lack of a better phrase. The dot-line matrix is also a very nice touch, and gives it a slightly more unique feel than merely the city-scape background.
    As for the comic elements; I'm somewhat indifferent. I can see it working - even being a boon to the feel of the forums, but I can also see it becoming "too much", and turn the focus of the forums towards the comic, rather than the "secwet orgwanisaishon" aspect of TBW.

Black Watchmen:
    For me, it primarily feels a bit uninspired. The cityscape is - at first - inspiring, of course, but as has been mentioned, I feel there's a lack of context as to what makes a cityscape uniquely TBW; we're not proverbial super-heroes, saving damsels in distress (Hi, EVE!).
    The colour-scheme (Black/Orange) is "okay", but feels a bit too plain for me. I agree that the colour scheme should be basic, but I also feel basic can be determined by how the other themes will turn out (i.e. Black is so often the basic colour in a pairing; what if it turned out Tan was the base colour for all themes, and Teal was the variable?)
    In short, this themes greatest strength is also its greatest weakness, for me, at least; it's quite plain, so it is unintrusive and easy to read; but it's also a bit "forgettable".

TBW - Comic Book:
    I think the comic-book theme is a bit "overboard" here; it's more or less the manifestation of what I fear might happen with Black Watchmen V2 - it seems that the entire focus is on the comic, not the game.
    In addition to that, the colour scheme is a bit unfortunate; the high brightness of the background colour, even with the opacity of the text boxes, is so bright that reading while using it feels uncomfortable.
    It would also need some more work, for example the "The Black Watchmen" text when viewing the front page of the forums, just above "From the Dev" section, is white on a white/grey background, and the section titles are also somewhat out of place, given they're the only teal colored text - if not items - of the entire theme.

Right-o, think that's the crux of what feedback I have to give. ^^

4 people like this.
  3. Anashel

Anashel Puppet Master Staff Member

Well, looks like V2 is taking the lead!

4. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

Well, don't let v1 make a comeback! Let's end this poll!

2 people like this.
  5. Vismal

Vismal Gold Member

I'll never quit you orange...
    *single orange tear*
    ...I'll wear orange tinted glasses.

5 people like this.