Alpha 1.1.2 - Pc & Mac Edition

Discussion in 'General' started by Anashel, Nov 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pyrusette

Pyrusette New Agent

Hello,

I downloaded the client to try out the alpha puzzle. I attempted to register an account within the client, but it just loads for a few seconds and then goes back to the registration screen. Then I made a forum account on the website and tried to log in that way, but get an "Unknown error" message when logging in. Any thoughts? I am not a backer, if that's relevant.

Screenshot:
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

It sounds as though you haven't registered an account in the client. They're handled through separate systems, so you have to click the 'Register Now' button inside the client to create your account. I don't know how not being a backer interacts with the alpha at this point.

3. Hyhtplega

Hyhtplega Senior Agent

I'm in, it is loading on Mac, haven't tested PC yet.

Situation room
    Nothing much seems to be happening at the moment, screens showing static, 3 with other stuff on, but no interaction. I have no idea what I'm doing though.

Star Tab (I'm new okay)
    Fades out and back in when clicked. That's about it.

Map
    Isn't finding my location.
    Has patchy response to touch pad multitouch controls (soon in-out, pan, etc), does respond to scroll wheel on mouse.
    I see 3 more of us here in the cold dark North of England.

Browser
    Seems to be working fine.

Options
    How do I switch classes?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2014
  4. rand();

rand(); Active Agent

5. Hyhtplega

Hyhtplega Senior Agent

6. Santiak

Santiak MIA

At the moment, most of what's going on is primarily to help test the client, so you won't find much in terms of useability or things to discover, but there are a few (take a gander at the "Alpha Mission" thread in Ongoing Missions).

Agent Map:
    Do you mean the Sierpinski triangle that appears at the center of the screen when you go to the Map? Can't see an icon in the top right-hand corner on my side, mind adding a screenshot? :)
    As for your position, it should be logged once you register, your position should be marked by a white circle with a tag on it - it might be obscured if you're in a more populated area, so I'd suggest try zooming in if you can't find it.

Situation Room:
    But there are things to be found via those 3 monitors ;)
    Other than that, there's no interactivity yet, though.

"Current Mission" (Star Tab):
    It's tied to the current Alpha mission - keep in mind it's all for testing purposes, so the "mission" is likely very, very slow burn - or we've been missing something obvious thus far. ;)
    For more information, visit the Alpha Mission thread.

Options:
    For now, there's no way to change class or clearence level, it's all placeholder at the moment. :)

7. Hyhtplega

Hyhtplega Senior Agent

The Icon I was referring to is the same as you mention, it appears in the centre of the screen before moving to the top right corner.
    You would not see it as, I preume, the client has located you.
    After some waiting (between my previous post and now) it has located me also, and the Sierpinski triangle (thank you) is now absent.
    The location that is shown, if it is meant to be accurate, is about 50 miles Southwest of my actual location.

Aaah, and I shall enjoy digging.

Fair enough, I look forward to it becoming more populous.

I wonder, will the psych eval have any influence upon available classes? It would make sense to, successful playability and avoiding player frustration wise.

8. Santiak

Santiak MIA

Ah, good point.
    The displacement was an earlier issue as well, seems it wasn't entirely ironed out.

It's been discussed, but I think a final decision has yet to be decided upon.
    I imagine that it might generate suggested classes - which would indeed be interesting - but outright impacting which classes you can choose I'm not so sure of.
    Granted it would make sense in terms of verisimilitude - i.e. that an organisation which hires you only wants you for a specific task based on your merits - but in terms of gameplay, I can also imagine some players might become frustrated if they had their eyes set on "Cybertech", but got stuck with "Soldier" and "Sniper" as their only options.

Maybe some middle-ground where you get a bonus of some sort if you pick a suggested class? So you're encouraged to pick a class that suits your psychological profile.
    A whole other aspect is whether or not it would have an impact on what Clearence Level you could "join" in at, so if, for example, the evaluation shows you're rebellious and suspicious of nature, you only get Red and Orange as initial options - and conversely, if you're authoritarian and reliable; Red, Orange and Yellow. Although such a system would carry the same issues as the aforemention class-selection one.
    Perhaps the encouragement for picking a Suggested class would be entry Clearence level?

Anywho, I'm drifting off topic. ^^

2 people like this.
  9. Hyhtplega

Hyhtplega Senior Agent

Surely we are all here because we are suspicious of nature... if not necessarily rebellious. Otherwise it would seem you would have me constrained to Red/Orange. Otherwise I agree fully with your sentiments.

The topic that never drifts is deceased.

10. MERCury

MERCury Senior Agent

Hi Agents... Is there a "How to" Report issues with the Alpha?
    I have had a crash while using the ingame browser (is there an automatic logfile I could send?) and my location in the map is not found. Sierpinskie Triangle in the Upper Right corner stays there for several minutes (5+) with Scanning for Location Info.
    Perhaps I am too close to a rupture Site - Interferences are annoying ;)

Update 1: The "scanning your location" issue remains persistent after reboot and new login. The animation (blinking, turning of tiles) of the Triangle stops after a couple of minutes, "Scanning your location" text and Triangle logo are still there, the map remains interactive (zoom in out), map room can be left, after return and reload of map animation restarts.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2014
  11. Santiak

Santiak MIA

In the client folder (where you installed/unzipped the client) you should find a file named "output_log.txt", send that to either [email protected], or in a Convo to Anashel. :)

As for the constant loading, I'd write up as many details you can on the matter, as it seems to be a recurring issue - however, from past experiences, I believe it will eventually find your location.

Blasted Ruptures ;)

2 people like this.
  12. Conartist

Conartist Gold Member

Finally got around to testing it :)
    On the map it keeps scanning for my location.
    Also in the in-game browser the back button does not take me to any of the previous pages i've been looking at.
    Minor edit. The back button works but cannot take me back to the black watchmen forum page it started on

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2014
  13. MERCury

MERCury Senior Agent

Coming back to the constant loading issue: no change yet - my position is not found. In the logfile there is the following info:
    Javascript: XMLHttpRequest cannot load http://freegeoip.net/json/. Origin http://cms.blackwatchmen.com is not allowed by Access-Control-Allow-Origin. 0 http://cms.blackwatchmen.com/game/map/?me=new
    (Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)
    Javascript: error 0 Javascript Alert
    Could that be linked to the problem?

14. Anashel

Anashel Puppet Master Staff Member

We have a new positioning system that may render the current one less reliable. I should give you a new client shortly. =)

11 people like this.
  15. Catalyst

Catalyst Gold Member

You say client, I see "toys" :rolleyes:

16. Asariel

Asariel Division-79

I am late to the return here but I wanted to futz around with the Alpha Mission and my star button is locked. What am I doing wrong?

17. Khalm

Khalm Gold Member

Have you downloaded the latest release?

18. Asariel

Asariel Division-79

I thought I had...the link posted is the most recent, isn't it? The one at the top of this thread? I need a real robo spider to help me with this stufff...

19. Khalm

Khalm Gold Member

The link on the first thread yeah. I only asked because I downloaded the latest client and first time I tried it had the same problem because I was still starting the older client!

20. Asariel

Asariel Division-79

See, I thought so...I guess I can try redownloading? Which scares me, but I don't know what else to try...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.