Alpha 1.1.0 - Pc Edition

Discussion in 'General' started by Anashel, Nov 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bats

Bats Division 93: Covert Grammatical Ops Battalion

Is this just due to the way things are set up for the alpha, or is it an inherent problem with PlayFab?

-Bats

2. Erebe

Erebe Senior Agent

(j'ai été sur le site de playfab, ils n'ont pas reconnu mon adresse mail... :/ )

3. Santiak

Santiak MIA

Just as a service announcement, games that might've caused you to already set up a PlayFab account, include:

• Loadout
    • Planetary Annihilation

And a plethora of smaller mobile games, it would seem. (Overview found here).

However, I noticed that the game affecting me (Loadout), used the exact same username, password and primary email, as those I'd attempted to register in the TBW client with - so I used my secondary email for TBW.
    After changing the email connected with my Loadout account from my primary to secondary (note that now both my TBW and Loadout accounts used my Secondary email), I was able to create an account in TBW using my primary email address.

I've never played any of the other related games (Planetary Annihilation, for example), so I do not know whether or not the same issue arose there.

But I do hope it can be worked around, as I can imagine it becoming an issue further down the road, either as a result of people being quite attached to both their nickname as well as e-mail - or would rather not use an alternate address, at the least, or because it is a bit confusing.

(Realising the above is a bit finnicky, let me try and give a short overview:

1. (TBW) Primary email unavailable; "In use" -- Used Secondary email (Account TBW1).
    2. (Loadout) Using my Primary email. Changed to Secondary (Account Loadout1 == Account TBW1)
    3. (TBW) Created new account using Primary email (Account TBW2)
    = Both TBW1 and Loadout accounts use the same email. TBW2 now uses my primary email.

4. Santiak

Santiak MIA

essayez de changer votre mot de email utilisé avec "Loadout" ou "Planetary Annihilation".

*Eyeballs Google Translate, and his own lack of concentration during Middle School French classes*

5. Erebe

Erebe Senior Agent

Thank you santiak but it's too late ^^
    I have take an other email adress for TBW.
    ^^

6. Catalyst

Catalyst Gold Member

Good news: It runs in Windows 10.

I'll be playing around with it on my work computer sans-VM because the VM doesn't like graphics processing.

7. Ugly

Ugly Senior Agent

Sexy! Couple things I didn't see in a quick look at the thread.
    • Dragging the window during the intro logo video causes it to stutter. Probably just a "if it hurts don't do that."
    • I hit exit game and nothing happened. When I hit it a second time the app crashed. If this is new, let me know and I'll upload the crash log folder.
    • Left/right screen select always chooses smack dab in the middle across both. I did see this above, but it amused me.

8. Khalm

Khalm Gold Member

Not sue if it has been mentioned, apologies if it has, I notice scrolling down the page with my mouse wheel is slower in the in game browser.

9. Bats

I was happy to see this option, but it definitely doesn't work quite as expected. If you're using fullscreen mode, it does - at least on my system - place it on the correct display, but in windowed mode it just lands in the middle of the center monitor. On systems with an even number of monitors, this would probably land right on the border between them - which sounds like exactly what you're seeing.

It'd be nice if windowed mode could be made to behave in line with the stated preference... if not, aiming it for Windows' 'main display' would probably be a viable alternative.

-Bats

10. riningear

riningear Division-79

Just gave it a quick run in class, the "ESC" does nothing. Which isn't a fun issue in class, thank goodness for ALT+TAB. 1366 x 768, Fantastic settings.

11. Deepthroat

Deepthroat Guest

I was in windowed mode 1920x1080 (OS Windows 8) and the game froze when I ESC.
    I got the message "program doesn't respond" in the title bar.

12. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Active Agent

I am kinda missing a kickstarter update on this btw. ;)
    Edit: Video screen below the joker isn't working.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2014
  13. Rowyne

Rowyne Division-79

Was really excited to try the alpha but my computer committed suicide. New system should be received by weekend, will try then.

Can't wait to see.

14. TheChosenOne

I feel your pain. No gaming for 3 weeks here. ;)

15. Catalyst

Catalyst Gold Member

I would edit my previous post, but I'd feel it'd be easier to just sum things up afterwards to make sure it's seen:
    • The game launches and runs on Windows 10, just as well as Windows 7.
    • Functionality
      • Using windows 7:
        • The in-game browser has the typing cursor set to black. This makes it hard to see on dark-themed websites such as the forums
        • The in-game browser has some issues with detecting mouse-up, which leaves my mouse still controlling the scrollbar when I've already released it. I have to click on the scrollbar to fix this.
        • The in-game browser very quickly forgot who I was on the forums, and refreshed/logged me out while I was reading the known bugs.
      • I'd like to be able to, if nothing else, manually set my location. The blip on the map says I'm roughly 40 miles nne from where I actually am. It'd just be easier for me to input my zip code for when location services fail.
    • Aesthetics
      • I feel that it would be smoother to have the esc-menu slide in from the side, instead of fading my entire screen.
      • Is there any plan for being able to click agent blips and get their username so we can message them directly?
    I may think of more in the future.

16. Bats

I think that may be deliberate. On IRC Anashel had discouraged the idea of posting about it on the TSW forums, and I got the impression that this was more along the lines of "we want to try this out with a handful of people" rather than "hey, everyone! come pound on this!".

At the same time it's good to keep backers in the loop, and it's been a couple weeks since the last update...

-Bats

17. TheChosenOne

Yeah I wasn't expected to see the actual v1.1.0 (or even a link to it) posted there, but maybe just a quick kickstarter update that we are on V1.1.0 and a screenshot or something. ;)

2 people like this.
  18. Bats

I've noticed that this also happens a lot if your cursor leaves the window while dragging the map. Speaking of the map, any chance of giving momentum to the dragging, so that (like on google maps) you can 'throw' the map while moving it around?

I think what you're seeing here is a display or map generation problem, more than a geolocation one. In terms of geolocation, it'll be showing (or trying to show) your IP address's physical location, not yours - for home/small business users, usually your ISP's nearest point of presence. But, taking that into account, it still seems to display agent dots offset by (from very limited testing) some 40-50 miles to the north.

Being able to manually enter a location might be helpful (especially since geolocation can occasionally get things entirely wrong - my VPN has an NJ outdial that shows up on some services as being in Iowa, while I'm physically in neither location), but it will also cause problems if there's any content or functionality that's designed to be limited by agent location or proximity.

Anashel: I don't know whether it's a fixed offset or if it's something that scales based on Latitude/Longitude, but if you haven't already isolated the issue & don't mind me creating a bunch of new accounts, let me know - I can hop around the world & poke at it a bit tonight.

-Bats

19. Catalyst

Catalyst Gold Member

I'm more used to seeing my location positioned over Onondaga County, NY, seeing as that's where Syracuse is. Watertown is a bit farther north than is normal. Plus it was roughly in line with another report earlier in the thread. I figured it was enough of a confirmation to include it.

Side note: Does anyone know if the blue blips on the map now are static textures and inter-player networking is NYI; or are those actually other players?

20. Bats

They're all locations other players have connected from, and based on the way the relative size of the dots changes when I zoom in/out, it looks like they're being dynamically drawn. The current result is fairly static, though. A player's location is only detected/plotted once - either at registration or at their first login. If you change IPs while logged in, or log in from a different IP, you'll still show up in the same location as your first time. It also doesn't display online status - once you register/connect, your dot is there to stay - It doesn't go away if you log off.

-Bats

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.