Why We Love Args

Discussion in 'ARG Support' started by Santiak, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Santiak

Santiak MIA

Heyho folks,

It occured to me that there was a connection to be made between our love of ARGs, and those unfamiliar and unsure of what ARGs are, and more specifically, if it's something for them.

While it's all good explaining what ARGs are, especially in the (relative) absence of anything more involved than Fan Missions, sharing why we love ARGs, is something that's arguably easier to convey to newcommers, and it's information that newcommers can more easily relate to.

So, for example:

• Why are you hooked on ARGs?
    • What is it about the genre that keeps you coming back for more; what is it that you yourself get out of ARGs, that you arguably couldn't find in any other genre?
    • What are some of the greatest moments you've had playing ARGs, and why do you think they were great?

Remember, this isn't meant to be a sales-pitch, but more of a window into why we are as fond of ARGs as we are. :)

(Albeit the two are awfully close.)

5 people like this.
  2. Sonne

Sonne Division-79

Well, I suppose it depends what kind of ARG you're talking about. Lets narrow the question to ARGs similar to what we see in Black Watchmen's archives...
    1) working to solve a devilish hard ARG puzzle is more satisfying than any Sudoku.
    2) research, finding the connections, is my favorite. I learn so much stuff about things I wouldn't normally be exposed to.
    3) it is a real rush finding story content that other people haven't seen, often this is due to a different point of view afforded by different skills and experience. which leads to ...
    4) working with a lot of other really great and smart people who bring their experience and skills.

5 people like this.
  3. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Active Agent

For me ARGs are so special because they take our real (and often boring world) and make it much more eventful and exciting. Than there is also the community, being a part of something, sharing a... secret for the lack of a better word. My favorite ARG moments usually involve making choices because that way you can leave your mark on these story worlds and change them for the better or the worse. This is something no other media platform can offer.

7 people like this.
  4. Rowyne

Rowyne Division-79

For me ARG's are unique magic. Walking down the street with a quick glance over your shoulder and that man in the funny white hat who seems to duck into an alley seemingly as you look suddenly becomes sinister/important/not so random. It takes you from the mundane and transports you to a place where you do not know what lurks behind the corner or as Agent Rowyne might say the truth behind what scratches so deliberately at one of her windows every night. It lets your imagination take flight in ways you only dreamed possible.

Factor in puzzles. Lots of puzzles. Where every thread could be a lead or a dead end. And you are working to solve it and you are never alone. Everyone is working on it. Ideas are flying. Leads are popping up everywhere, and no matter who you are you can contribute! It is a giant think tank on steroids. There is a real world urgency! The adrenaline pumps, you wake up in the middle of the night and race to the keyboard to search a lead that came to you in a nightmare (alright that might only happen to me but...) and you have a AHA moment. Whether it pans out or not in that very moment your heart races and you have to catch your breath as your fingers tremble and your palms get just a little bit sweaty.

What other media platform gives you that? Most games I simply turn off at the end of the night and walk away knowing its there as it was the next day. But an ARG is real, ever moving and nothing ever shuts off to wait. There is nothing to compare it.

Just my point of view!

5 people like this.
  5. Zerosh

Zerosh Sleeper Agent

Why are you hooked on ARGs?
    There is nothing like hunting mysteries. That feeling of wanting to know more, to uncover all the secrets, is what steals the sleep from me and keeps me glued to the laptop for hours. And as @MoPono says, working on a twisted ARG puzzle is far more satisfying than any other type of puzzle.

What is it about the genre that keeps you coming back for more; what is it that you yourself get out of ARGs, that you arguably couldn't find in any other genre?
    The challenge is what keeps me coming back. And not only that, I personally feel that with an ARG you can hone your skills, you can become more sharp-minded, more observant and quicker on your thoughts, you can learn to work your ass out under tons of pressure and work as part of a team of like minded people. All of that is not only great but also can help you in your daily life.
    But the best part is that suddenly your life becomes more exciting and you see potential clues in every corner xD

What are some of the greatest moments you've had playing ARGs, and why do you think they were great?
    I'm an ARG newbie, but I've been investigating and I've seen the potential of ARGs. And so, I suspect that moments are still to come ;)

2 people like this.
  6. Kle

Kle Senior Agent

For me the thing I enjoy most about ARGs isn't the puzzles or the sense that this is blending into my real life. It's the community.

I've been a part of a number of ARGs from the obvious (inFamous Papertrail springs to mind) to the fairly vague (It was a while into the ARG for Heavy Rain before I realised it was for a game) and the one thing that has always impressed me was the communities. Seeing them grow from a few people beavering away to full fledged communities that help each other to solve the clues to progress. The community is make or break and The Black Watchmen has a community that outshines any other ARG I've been part of.

I may not be the guy who breaks the codes or figures out the clues but watching the story unfold and knowing that in some small way I'm helping to shape the outcome is what keeps me coming back for more!

3 people like this.
  7. Asariel

Asariel Division-79

As for myself, what I love most about ARG's is feeling like I am really part of something. We ARE the game. I don't have to have the best gear, or a special kind of mouse, or a certain number of points in this, that or the other thing to play. No one looks down on me or disparages me for throwing out mad ideas, because it might BE a mad idea that pushes the puzzle forward. The community also keeps me coming back: just spending that much time with a group of people creates bonds I am usually unwilling to forge or incapable of forging in my daily life. I like the puzzles (even when they make me feel incredibly stupid) because they are complex, interesting and multilayered.
    As for greatest moments: The Wall of Paper, getting yelled at by same wall of Paper, all the ARG inside jokes, The Church of Paper (A4!), going slightly mad from watching paper, arguing about oranges and lemons, being able to say "I was there" when the gun guy showed up in the Livestream, and truly agonizing over the choice of whether or not to open the gate or save Astrid.
    ARG's make me feel like life is enhanced, less boring, like I am surrounded by mystery. I look around me now for signs of other Agents, hoping one day, in a store, I will see someone with the Black Watchmen logo and know we are part of the same special thing. It's like finally, finally being not only invited into an exclusive society, but actually being treasured and valued in that society. I don't fit in anywhere...but I fit in HERE. And let me tell you, that is a POWERFUL thing for me.

9 people like this.
  8. LampostSamurai

LampostSamurai Active Agent

From my experience, ARGs get people working together. You start tearing apart all these sparse connections, building up this nebulous web of connections that starts to look more like it belongs in some crime drama or Superhero tv show. It's fun to try and figure out what's there, what's not, and what was intended, and what is allowed.

2 people like this.
  9. Typhoon Jim

Typhoon Jim Senior Agent

I like the idea that I can be doing the same normal stuff I do on the computer all the time, except have it invested with strange occult significance.