Week 5, Irc And Other Things

Discussion in 'General' started by nikel, Jul 24, 2015.

?

Would you like individual IRC rooms for week 5 missions, like in week 3?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    76.0%
  2. Yes, but... (please elaborate below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No.

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  4. Something else... (please elaborate below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

Hello all! It's me! nikel, an unofficial Op* in the #division66 IRC.

With week 5 imminent (halfway through season 1, too, I guess) I just wanted to know a couple things.

First, my question: Did you like the #missionx chats for week 3? If not, I would like to hear why, to see if we as a community can improve on it. If you have an idea that you would like to put forward as a replacement, I would love to hear that too.

My thoughts:
    Those in the IRC on the release of week 3 expressed a desire to keep #division66 a spoiler free zone, thus I grabbed a new channel for each mission to allow for larger group collaboration. 1-on-1 collaboration remains possible in IRC through direct message, groups of 4 in the Calls for Help in the client (though it seems that CFH is rather underutilized), and there are many other methods of communication such as steam chat to permit one to follow one's preference.

My observations were that it did complete the goal of keeping #division66 spoiler free, but some felt ignored or disregarded in the #missionx channels, or in #division66 itself. Also, there were idlers in the channels who were not active to help people who came in seeking aid after 'the group' finished.

The lack of logs for the channels meant people are unable to read back, though I did keep a log to send to the devs to let them see the research and process players in the group took.

Please let me know what your thoughts are on this. If you want to send me a message privately, I will take that too. I would also like to hear if there's anything you think we can improve upon within the IRC itself.

*Disclaimer: This is a volunteer position with no official capacity. I am a player with no affiliation with A&S. If Ops status in the IRC is something we want to talk about as a community, I recommend a separate thread for that.

2. Tutsie

Tutsie Senior Agent

It's a difficult one to balance I think. I certainly hopped in to the channels that you made for the puzzles I was working on whilst I was working on them...well the ones I got stuck with at any rate, and collaborated quite a lot with various people in them. I felt that this built up some bonds with people I may otherwise not have interacted with in the IRC channel directly. I think that they are a good idea, but I appreciate that some people may have felt the main channel was too quiet with people preoccupied elsewhere. I think it's better to keep the main channel spoiler free.

I think I might have been guilty of being an idler after I had moved on, but my intention was to stick around for a bit and to help others, although I think that didn't happen as much as I'd planned as I got caught up elsewhere. :)

3. Daedalus

Daedalus Division-79

The big problem I see, is someone on mission 16-1 heading into the mission 16 channels and immediately getting spoilers for 16-1 through 4 because everyone there is on 16-5.

4 people like this.
  4. Tutsie

Tutsie Senior Agent

That's a fair point, I popped in to the mission 7 chat and from the comments in it, I managed to guess 7.2 without even looking in to what I should have looked in to.

I can't think of a way round it though.

5. Eveningfall

Eveningfall Senior Agent

The seperate channels for each of the missions clearly helped in making it easier to get in touch with other members of the community and helped contribute to teamwork.
    However, I do see the problem with spoilers...

6. Ohforf

Ohforf Active Agent

I may of missed it but how do you access the separate channels?

7. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

I agree that this is a concern. It seems that it might be a bit excessive to do 16-1 through 5 though. Could really be anywhere from 5 channels to 12 for this next set if we do for each mission part.

You access by typing /join #channelname. The ones for this next set aren't made yet. If we go this route I'll set the bot up with a command with that in it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2015
    2 people like this.
  8. Zerosh

Zerosh Sleeper Agent

I see the usefulness of the separate channels for each mission for the people who's there at launch time but, without logs the latecomers have a handicap. (And even with logs, with the rise in the number of agents it is quite difficult to catch up)

I'd vote for keep it all in #division66 where anyone can do a search in the logs for hints (no spoilers) and anyone can ask for help with a specific part of any mission. However, since the Call For Help is limited to 4 people, I understand why some agents like the idea of different channels.
    As long as everyone have this in mind I think it's okay but there's a number of agents that are starting to feel left behind.

5 people like this.
  9. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

Do you think it would help if I got a few volunteers to post their hints on the forums, with each mission getting a thread? If everyone is posting on #division66 then it may end up somewhat difficult to search the logs effectively for mission hints.

3 people like this.
  10. Zerosh

Zerosh Sleeper Agent

Yes, I think it would be very helpful for those agents not so active in the IRC :)

11. Maurna

Maurna Gold Member

I liked the individual channels but I think putting the channel names in the greeting text or mission status would help. Given the way IRC works, we're going to have to be okay with idlers in the channels, that's the way IRC works. I know people are feeling left out when they join at IRC in offtime and see a list of people but don't get a response.

They can reach out on the forums, they can reach out via call for help. Due to their time zone, sometimes help takes a little longer to get unfortunately.

12. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

I'll get Sitroom_Alpha set up with links upon mission release. The next question is whether:
    • Each mission gets a channel (i.e. #mission12)
    • or each part gets a channel (i.e. #mission12-1)
    I've gotten two votes for the latter on the IRC already, but I'd like to hear if anyone else has an opinion on this.

13. Zerosh

Zerosh Sleeper Agent

Spoiler-wise I'd say a channer for each part, but if agents are careful enough I think a channel for each mission could work.

2 people like this.