The Ganzfeld effect

Discussion in 'Dream Discussion' started by baktic, Sep 22, 2016.

1. baktic

baktic Active Agent

Recently I learned about a really peculiar thing the brain does known as the Ganzfeld effect.
    To experience this you need to trick your brain into searching for patterns where there are none. Your brain always wants to find patterns, this is why you see colors and stuff when you close your eyes. You basically hallucinate.
    If you want to try this, you need to cover your eyes with something so that all you see is that color, but light needs to be able to pass through the cover. You also can listen to white noise if you want to experience auditory hallucinations as well. I have not tried this myself as of now, but I am planning to in the near future.
    If you have tried this and want to share your experiences, feel free to comment. I would love to learn more about this.

Wikipedia if you wish to do some reading yourself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganzfeld_effect

3 people like this.
  2. Mr. Wokboo

Mr. Wokboo New Agent

Apparently you can induce this effect pretty easily with a pair of headphones and some ping pong balls. That sounds so easy, I might just try it.