TBW FAQ

Discussion in 'General' started by codex-13, Mar 29, 2017.

1. codex-13

codex-13 Senior Agent

GAMEPLAY
    WHAT IS TBW'S PRICING MODEL? IS IT SUBSCRIPTION BASED?

No, the game is not subscription based. There is nothing you subscribe to, you buy the game content for a season or special operation and then you own it. The pricing model more accurately reflects those of episodic games such as Telltales’ The Walking Dead, where packages of content are released regularly that build on the main story. Whether you continue to buy additional episodes or seasons when they are released is up to you.

HOW DO “SEASONS” WORK?

The game is broken up into sets of “missions”, which are discrete units of puzzles & narrative content. There is a specific number of missions per season and you advance through the game by completing these missions. Mission sets are released every two weeks during a season and allow for player actions to affect the storyline.

WHAT DO YOU GET WHEN YOU BUY A SEASON OF THE GAME?

When you buy a 'live' season, you have bought all of the content for that season in one purchase. No monthly subscription fee, only regular releases of paid content. To give an example of the amount of content you can expect for each season, the contents of Season 1 included:

● 25 Missions
    ● 25 Hidden Puzzle Pieces (secret answers to puzzles)
    ● 5 Hidden Missions
    ● 5 Live Events

If you buy a season that isn't live (that is, one that all the content has been previously released), you get all the same stuff minus the live events, because those take place in real time and can't be replicated.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Nioreh, closer.Now, Joris and 5 others like this.
  2. codex-13

codex-13 Senior Agent

LIVE EVENTS

WHAT ARE “LIVE MISSIONS”?

Live missions are timed events that try to engage with players outside of the game client and tell a story through real world interactions (phone calls, external websites, location based puzzles, interactions with actors, etc). They happen intermittently throughout the current season. Players are notified that live events are occurring through email and in-client messages. The amount of enjoyment you get out of a live event is dependent on how much you put in. Live events are designed with activities that don’t require a large time investment to participate in, however there are also deeply immersive experiences within the event that will be tailored for people who want to really lose themselves.

LIVE MISSIONS HAPPEN IN REAL TIME, WHAT HAPPENS IF I COME IN LATE?

We never want someone to feel left out just because they have a schedule that doesn’t fit the game. The real time nature of live missions does mean that you will inevitably miss certain developments in the story, but our community does an amazing job of making sure people are kept up to speed on what is happening. We have a dedicated thread on the forums per live mission and player-generated guides/rundowns have appeared in many past live events to aid newcomers.

WHAT IS A TYPICAL LIVE MISSION LIKE?

Live missions consist of a series of objectives given to the entire community, spanning across several days. The narrative structure of a live event changes based on the completion of objectives and choices made by the community as a whole. The players then collaborate to solve the objective(s) and when a solution is found, it is encouraged to be shared immediately with the entire community. The collaborative effort can then move on and the objective can be completed. We encourage anyone curious about the live mission experience to ask members of our community directly on our forums or Discord.

DOES WHERE I LIVE AFFECT MY ABILITY TO TAKE PART IN A LIVE MISSION?

Some live event objectives can be done online while others require real world actions. These real world actions can be localized to a specific city (go to the Empire State Building and take a photo) or be generalized to anywhere (go and take a photo of a metal statue). The devs try to plan a good balance of localized activities and global activities to provide the most inclusive experience possible.

Nioreh likes this.
  3. codex-13

codex-13 Senior Agent

CLEARANCE LEVELS
    I HEARD I CAN GET CALLS AND PACKAGES, WHAT’S THE DEAL WITH THAT?

During an active season, players have the option to apply for various levels of game-to-player interactions, in the form of receiving phone calls and packages (with no additional charge to players). These are called “Clearance Levels” and refer to the level of immersion you wish to have with our game:

● Red Level (Default): You’ll get emails from the game.
    ● Orange Level: You may get emails and phone calls from the game.
    ● Yellow Level: You may get emails, phone calls and packages.
    ● Green Level: Once a season, a player is selected by the community to take part in a day long, fully immersive experience. You can see an example of this process from Season 2 here. If you are selected, you must submit a full medical exam and sign a personal injury waiver. Please note that during the offseason, calls or packages are not be guaranteed.
    ● Black Level: granted from a Kickstarter backer reward, and as such is unobtainable for current agents.

Phone calls or packages do not affect your ability to play the game and should be thought of as optional side content that we try to provide as a way to deliver a true ARG experience. This content is not guaranteed for all players.

DO I NEED TO GIVE OUT MY PERSONAL INFORMATION JUST TO PLAY THE GAME?

No, players are not required to give this information to play the game and can lower or raise their Clearance Level whenever they choose. They can also decide to opt out of any Clearance Level and their information will be deleted from the TBW database.

WHY CAN'T I UPDATE MY CLEARANCE LEVEL?

Because we're currently between seasons! The seasons of the Black Watchmen are only active for a few months at a time. Season 3 is just beginning to be teased (check the announcement about our 15 year anniversary!). When season 3 is released it will be live, and you will be able to update your clearance at that point. Live events have traditionally been open to all agents regardless of whether or not they have purchased the most recent season's dlc, so even if you aren't ready to start in with the new missions you can still participate!

With that in mind, however, the live events will be following the plot of the missions of the live season. During a live season missions are released in blocks of 3-6 or so, like the groupings you see in the client now. Think of them like chapters of a story. Between every couple of mission sets we generally have a live event, culminating in a green level event for the finale. There is also sometimes an ongoing mail based puzzle that begins about halfway through the season. If you aren't playing along with the in-client missions, there's probably going to be some stuff you won't quite understand in terms of lore. As a community, we're usually pretty good about bringing players up to speed on that sort of thing-- so don't be afraid to ask!

WHEN CAN I EXPECT MY CALL OR PACKAGE?

If you have registered for an Orange or Yellow level clearance, you may receive phone calls or packages from the game during an active season. While the game is in the offseason, calls/packages are not usually sent out.

BUT WHAT ABOUT OPERATION DAWNBLOOM? DO I NEED TO HAVE A CERTAIN CLEARANCE LEVEL FOR THAT?

Operation DAWNBLOOM is a 'Special Operation'-- meaning that the usual rules about live events don't quite apply. DAWNBLOOM is open to everyone-- and I mean it. That includes Agents who don't even own the Black Watchmen, Agents who have not yet completed training, Agents of every clearance level and every experience level are welcome (and encouraged!) to assist in the operation. The only requirement for participating in DAWNBLOOM is that you are interested. So jump on in!

I HAVE A QUESTION THAT ISN’T ADDRESSED HERE! HOW CAN I ASK SOMEONE DIRECTLY?

● You can chat with the (very helpful) community on our Discord server.
    ● There’s also these forums, where you're welcome to post questions.
    ● To get in touch with the devs, just speak with Anashel or Jarobi either on the forums or Discord.

Nioreh likes this.