Situation Room - Since When?

Discussion in 'Suspected Missions' started by MERCury, Apr 6, 2015.

1. MERCury

MERCury Senior Agent

Hi Agents,
    After some restrictedtime on mobile devices I downloaded beta 3.0.7 today and visited the situation room. Has the screen in row 3 column 4 always been lit? It literally hits my head ;) Link is to wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia_Agent which absolutely fits from its title to my personal feelings. Should be not much behind it but I have not read about this before...

2 people like this.
  2. Catalyst

Catalyst Gold Member

According to my data, this screen has been lit and linked to that page since March 28th at about 8 PM. (I believe EDT, GMT-4.)

2 people like this.
  3. MERCury

MERCury Senior Agent

And no discussion on this? Or do I have to screen the IRC archives to know what this is about?

4. Catalyst

Catalyst Gold Member

I briefly mentioned it when I first saw it, but I don't think there's been much discussion into it as of yet.

5. Zekh

Zekh Dimensionaut

It says it all.
    Paranoïd Agent, it's to make us paranoid.
    Besides, probably a wish from Anashel for us to discover an anime he likes :)

3 people like this.
  6. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

The "out of game" context for the picture is that anashel was streaming and I noticed that the TV had a little blue light on but nothing on the screen. Anashel decided to change that, but whatever was going through his mind at the time is a mystery.

2 people like this.
  7. MochiInvasion

MochiInvasion Senior Agent

my guess is it's a joke - after all, are we not all paranoid agents :p

8. Ugly

Ugly Senior Agent

2 people like this.
  9. Greenstarfanatic

Greenstarfanatic Senior Agent

So we've got Paranoia Agent, Trading Places, and likely The Master and Margarita, considering that's a picture of Mikhail Bulgakov, and that was his most prominent work. Not sure where to go with it atm, but it's definitely not just a coincidence anymore.

EDIT: And now it's all gone, replaced with 13 screens of static.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
    2 people like this.
  10. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

2 people like this.
  11. Greenstarfanatic

Greenstarfanatic Senior Agent

Hmm...Something I should point out, is that a side effect of high doses of Barbiturates is Paranoia (Maybe a tie to the Paranoia Agent link?). On that note, in Trading Places, a suicide attempt is made from a pill overdose, although there's no way for me to tell whether or not they were barbiturates.
    This is just speculation of course, I'm just throwing a connection I thought about out there. There's probably a much more meaningful connection to be found somewhere. And perhaps we don't have all the answers yet.

3 people like this.
  12. Maurna

Maurna Gold Member

New gifs

Bottom Left - applaud (found by searching for creepy children clapping gif in color)
    Middle left is a pile of pills
    Top left looks like 4 "men" walking to the left in greyscale, possibly shadows although reminds me more of desolation. (Not having much luck with creepy shadowmen walking)

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2015
    2 people like this.
  13. vigatron

vigatron Senior Agent

Bulgakov was a physician, and was initially assigned to Smolensk as the provincial physician. That might be a connection to the pills? Also, searching "russian puppet children clapping" returns a black and white version of those creepy kids, so the image is probably older than the color lets on.

I'm guessing it's something to do with Bulgakov's life rather than any particular book. For quite a while he was censored by the Soviet government, but Stalin's influence protected him from harm. At one point he wrote a letter to Stalin, who was about to let him leave the country if he desired. Most of his family fled to Paris after the revolution, so it's possible that "trading spaces" could be related to his desire to flee? Or perhaps is tied to his leaving the medical profession after a time in the military and becoming a writer?

Just throwing some ideas out there.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2015
    5 people like this.
  14. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

New image and link (In Flanders Fields poem.)

I have a feeling we're supposed to start digging.

Barbiturates and Opiates/opioids are not the same class of drug, but have similar effects. Just a note with the addition of the Poppies in Flanders Fields.

4 people like this.
  15. vigatron

vigatron Senior Agent

Also, Bulgakov had a well known addiction to morphine for several years. It was due to injuries received in WW1. He stopped using in 1918.

2 people like this.
  16. Maurna

Maurna Gold Member

Wikipedia Summary: Flander's field was written during WWI by an "English Canadian" and the poppies actually come about as they are one of the few plants that will grow in the lime heavy soil, post-WWI Battle, and thus one of the few that will grow on a newly dug grave.

The new image has 2 gentleman digging (up?) a grave in a cemetery. There is a Flander's Field American Cemetery and Memorial near Waregem, Belgium. It does not have the statue pictured

17. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

New image (Black and white swimming fish) and link (Raghavendra, 2002 "Neuromuscular blocking drugs: discovery and development")

None of the doctors, current or previous, at Rosenberg Clinic specialize in drugs, nor in anesthesia. The closest being N. Lacoste who studied sleep while at the clinic. A bit of a stretch though.

Also, I would like to note that Neuromuscular blocking drugs, barbiturates, and opioids/opiates (heroin, morphine) are three distinct classes of drugs, although all are depressive.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015
  18. vigatron

vigatron Senior Agent

I think that essay in the link is more important for its history of neuromuscular drugs. Everything else we have hints back to opioids and WW1.

Curare seems to be the important thing this link goes to, at least in its connection to morphine and anesthesia. I'm of the mind we're being pointed toward the drugs:
    - Bulgakov was a doctor and morphine addict
    - barbituates, neuromuscular drugs, and opiates are different but serve similar purposes
    - the essay talks about the history of neuromusculars and their development as a replacement for morphine/opioids.

Don't know where to go from there.

19. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

New link: genius.com

On gif of a rather happy looking pig-man

20. vigatron

vigatron Senior Agent

Le Cochon Danseur
    Could it be connected to the Bulgakov book Heart of a Dog?

2 people like this.