[sandbox] Operation Violet Sunrise

Discussion in 'Fan & Sandbox Missions' started by Felicity, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Felicity

Felicity Senior Agent

TOP SECRET//SI-GAMMA/TK//REL TO DIV 66

(U//FOUO) Operation VIOLET SUNRISE​

(TS//SI//REL) Good morning/afternoon/evening, agent. You have been called here because of your previous expertise in guiding and supporting field missions from the safety of your desk. Agent Grisha has given glowing, if also inappropriate, recommendations for your work.

[​IMG]
    (U) RQ-4 Global Hawk
    (TS//SI-G/TK//REL) The Black Watchmen's SIGINT and COMINT divisions, clandestinely operating from United States and United Kingdom reconnaissance aircraft, have identified a number of important artifacts currently being held in western Pakistan within the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA). They are currently under capture by a number of insurgent entities with assumed followership to Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), the primary insurgent group in the area.

[​IMG]
    (TS//SI-G/TK//REL) TTP leader, Baitullah Masud, center. TBW plant third from right, in back.
    (TS//SI-G/TK//REL) While we have confirmation that these artifacts exist, we are unsure as to the exact nature and potential of them. With the recent public confirmation of the Taliban Supreme Leader Amir al'Muminin Mullah Omar's death and the growing number of IS entities in the region, we believe that now is the best time to make a move and capture the artifacts without drawing undue attention from either insurgent or Pakistani authorities.

(TS//SI-G//REL) We will require your expertise in planning, researching, and executing the mission to keep our agents safe and ensure we are successful. You will have briefings from the Agency's subject matter experts and as much information as we can provide to give the best environment possible for precise and timely decisions.

Derived from: NSA/CSSM 1-52, TBW 4-12
    Dated: 20150829
    Declassify On: 50X8-HUM​
    TOP SECRET//SI-GAMMA/TK//REL TO DIV 66

2. Lyrah

Lyrah Senior Agent

Totally stuck on part 3 of the mission here...can anyone point me in the right direction?

3. Anastas

Anastas Active Agent

Whoever was in charge of giving us our (relevant) documents tried to shorten the Archive Call Number, which clearly didn't work. The call number that does work only gives us a list of language codes.
    We also have a reference to Genesis 11, which contains the story of the Tower of Babel, beginning by mentioning that, when construction began, all of humanity spoke a single language.

This suggests to me that we're looking for a universal language (or at least a language intended to be universal) and append that language's code to the faulty shortened call number. Unfortunately, we naturally don't know the Original Language, and I'm almost certain I've tried every constructed "international auxilliary language" on the list, plus English and the most widely spoken languages of Afghanistan, so I'm just as stuck as you are.

Spoilered for safety's sake. I'm not quite sure how much of my thought process I should expose without warning.

4. MidDipper

MidDipper Division-79

That call number is correct, it's just not needed right at the very moment it is given to you. My advice/nudge to you is:

Look for things other than the Tower of Babel that may have to do with Babel, if you're looking for a lead. When you find what you're looking for, it will be quite obvious what the string of apparent nonsense is for.

5. Anastas

Anastas Active Agent

Thanks, I'll get right on that and see what more I can dig up.

Never mind, that didn't help. I've got a mess of translators and translation services, which only helps to restate the obvious fact that languages are key; a GPS file format converter I'd never be able to make heads or tails of; a chemical modeler; an "internationalization library for Python", which looks interesting but is wildly out of my depth; and piles and piles of complex-looking computer programming doodads which may as well be in the Original Language for all they do me.

And in the "Somewhat Less Likely to be What I Need" pile I've got a phone book full of uninteresting tiny towns and provinces irrelevant to Afghanistan and the Cloak of the Prophet, science-fiction books, TV show episodes, a couple space rocks, a billion different songs and albums, an entire record label... Oy vey iz mir.

Not much of anything that could probably extend "M4J9F" back into something I can use.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2015
  6. MidDipper

MidDipper Division-79

I didn't see your edit until now, did you figure it out? There's a hint as to how to use that code, it's not an archive number.

7. Steelgramps

Steelgramps Gold Member

I'm stuck in this mission. I really need a nudge.
    So i've found the text in the library, but i don't know what to do with the three codes.

8. MidDipper

MidDipper Division-79

Reread the passage. Where do we usually put alphanumeric codes like that, to get information?

9. Mr.Fear

Mr.Fear New Agent

Hi fellow agents.
    This may appear that I am an inexperienced agent but,
    I seem to gotten stuff on the first mission, that being the artifact identification from the letter.
    Any nudges would be helpful!!

10. themadhuman

themadhuman Division-79

focus on the name of the terrorist who has passed on

11. themadhuman

themadhuman Division-79

I myself am stuck hardcore on 1.3, I have
    an alphanumeric string followed by some sort of book code
    and
    a language verification list
    ... not sure what to do with these.

12. themadhuman

themadhuman Division-79

ok... found the
    library referenced in the div88 link
    and I have the
    3 files
    not sure if I'm just having a formatting problem for the answer to 1.3... yep it was a formatting problem-this mission is a trip!

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2016
  13. Dago1989

Dago1989 New Agent

I need help! perhaps it is the quality of my pc but if i try to enlarge the message in the first mission the image quality gets worse and I read with great difficulty. Someone can transcribe the names mentioned because I can not understand , for example, the first is by chance Maksud Sahib?

14. themadhuman

themadhuman Division-79

If I remember the mission correctly the name you have is close enough, the important name is Mullah Omar.

15. Enix

Enix Active Agent

I am right where you are and I am currently stuck. Help would be appreciated.

16. codex-13

codex-13 Senior Agent

Disregard the language codes until you deal with the alphanumeric string. Don't let the 'book' code throw you off. Don't miss the forest for the trees.

2 people like this.
  17. tristano

tristano New Agent

I'm stuck on Mission 3 as well:
    I have the three 5-digit call codes from the library message, but no idea where to input them (they don't work in the usual archive place)
    Any help here would be greatly appreciated

18. Drakhan

Drakhan Senior Agent

LOL. I still can't figure out what to do with M4J9F.

19. tristano

tristano New Agent

Yes, that took me a little while as well. This might help
    The Div88 shortener mentioned in the original message is a good starting point

20. codex-13

codex-13 Senior Agent

The two of you and @mrbanks should work together. I've been attempting to give him nudges over PM but a solving group is more fun!