[sandbox] Oakcottage

Discussion in 'Fan & Sandbox Missions' started by Zerosh, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Zerosh

Zerosh Sleeper Agent

MISSION FOR: ALL AGENTS
    MISSION No: 125993 (CODENAME: OAKCOTTAGE)
    AREA OF OPERATIONS: Worldwide

1. Action Required
    Investigate an old document found in the agency archives and discover the name of the location hinted in it.

2. Background
    While I was archiving the past missions I remembered the stories of a cat loving senior archivist. One of those stories talked about an old document buried deep inside the archives that had to do with a special breed of cat. I managed to find this document and, if it contents are authentic, we should try to obtain some specimens and study them. It is highly probable that we could make some advances in the study of BDNF gene by doing so. Moreover, if we find something in those cats we could even surpass the results of the Morpho Medical experiments. The only problem is that the exact location where this type of cat lives is not mentioned. However, I strongly believe that we can found it by analyzing the contents of the document.

3. Recommendations
    Do not take the contents of the document at face value, they seem quite cryptic and esoteric. Also, by the looks of it, we are going to need an Ancient History expert in the team.

23 people like this.
  2. Zerosh

Zerosh Sleeper Agent

Well... I'd better start making the mission, thank you all for your votes :)

3. AgentPurified

AgentPurified Active Agent

Love me some ancient history

4. themadhuman

themadhuman Division-79

I translated the inscription
    one can not... (goddess name)
    what am I missing? nudge me please someone:cool:

5. Zerosh

Zerosh Sleeper Agent

@themadhuman there are more clues in the letter, in plain sight :p
    Look for "interesting" details.
    The date is a clue

6. bilogis

bilogis Active Agent

Can I have a nudge on the hieroglyphics? I'm completely stumped.

2 people like this.
  7. themadhuman

themadhuman Division-79

It took a while for me to find and translate it too.
    Bastet
    One can not kill the cat.
    remember Hebrew reads right to left

4 people like this.
  8. jen-jen

jen-jen Active Agent

I'm stumped on the first section of the location? Any hints?

9. codex-13

codex-13 Senior Agent

Try getting drunk. That's how I solved it. But really, use google and keywords extracted from the document. It's all about keywording and context.

2 people like this.
  10. Albiinosaatana

Albiinosaatana New Agent

So it turns out that alcohol and google haven't helped me to figure this one out.

I figured that as the inscription includes Hebrew, it might have something to do with Jews around Caspian. Egyptian influence sounds likely, as there's a reference to an Egyptian god in glyph. I've been googling for hours anything having to do with Jewish nations, Egyptian influence and anything with cats on all the coasts of the Caspian. At the moment I'm desperate enough to simply type in random cities, ancient and contemporary, within a 100km radius from the coast.

Some one mentioned that the date is supposed to be a hint. But as we're looking specifically for an ancient place, I fail to see the connection. Only relevant event around that date was establishing trade agreements between Iran and England, and I don't see any connection between Anglo-Irani tobacco business and mythological cats.

11. zaelong

zaelong Moderator

brute forcing this one, using only a map or a wiki article isnt going to help you, im afraid...
    its a place referanced in a book