Operation Nightfall

Discussion in 'Archived Missions' started by thatangryviking, Sep 15, 2015.

1. MidDipper

MidDipper Division-79

If you have a minute to come into the IRC I'd be happy to give you a run-down there. Otherwise I'll write it up in a spoiler real quick :)

2. Santiak

Santiak MIA

MediumSizedDipper beat me to it. ^^
    By Baup do I love this community. <3

3. satyreyes

satyreyes Senior Agent

By my count, we have 103 image fragments out of 1,028 -- we've broken 10%! But the document is still a long way from readable, and the deadline is what, tomorrow? Is there a way to reach out to inactive agents and get their codes?

4. Eternimus

Eternimus Gold Member

F9F24C5 = DC575FC for me it seems. Just added.

5. Killkeny

Killkeny Active Agent

Hello,
    I,ve managed finally to decrypt my portion:
    51CD327-->342245E
    Keep up the good work!!

6. Lang

Lang Active Agent

I have been contacted by a Sarah McPherson. Doesn't happen to be any of you guys does it?

7. MidDipper

MidDipper Division-79

Not that I know of. What'd she want?

8. RezLar

RezLar Senior Agent

Added Code. 9C3621C=7f9b343

4 people like this.
  9. Lyrah

Lyrah Senior Agent

Hi guys, just read up on what's going on. I'm still on the road, have access to email but no much else. Here is my code if anyone can decode and input for Ime.
    187ED4B go team!

10. MidDipper

MidDipper Division-79

Okay, I said I'd do it, so here it is! Progress as of 9/8/15 at noon EST!

Update #1

Briefing follows:
    MISSION FOR: ALL ACTIVE AGENTS
    MISSION No: 207055 [Operation NIGHTFALL]
    AREA OF OPERATIONS: WORLDWIDE

1. Action required:
    We have identified abnormal activity surrounding a cult under the name “Church of the Dark Sun”, their New York chapter appears to be undergoing a radical change. Information came from a public blog maintained by a former journalist and documentary filmmaker. The blog of Ted Benwall can be found at http://www.secondlookdocs.com and his Twitter herehttps://twitter.com/TedBenwall. He has been tasked with monitoring and heavy surveillance. The cult he is documenting has exhibited possible signs of interacting with occult energy, we cannot allow him to give the public credible evidence of any ritual activities.

2. Background:
    Church of the Dark Sun is a U.S. based cult with chapters all around the country. We have been aware of them for some time, however there has never been a need to target them with any action. The cult was relatively benign and we did not see hostile intent from them. Ted Benwall was also investigating the cult, intending to create a film about their New York chapter. The latest postings from his blog suggest that the cult is getting ready to undertake some kind of ritual.

3. Recommendation:
    (a) Read the presentation on manipulating reputations online, prepared by SET 6 at the following link:http://bit.ly/1OVADHo

(b) Commence an online smear campaign to discredit the journalist Ted Benwall, ensure that any public facing communication channel he has is flooded with comments implying his information is untrustworthy or completely false. Continue this campaign daily, every new post should have negative comments attached to them for maximum effectiveness.

(c) Monitor the blog and Twitter of Ted Benwall. Watch for key information regarding the cult, notify Dispatch [[email protected]] of any developments.

(d) Be prepared to give mission updates daily to Dispatch on IRC at 8:30 PM UTC until mission conclusion
    • Smear campaign against Ten Bernwall began, focusing on his blog (http://www.secondlookdocs.com) and twitter (@TedBernwall)
    • At this time, only the first two entries on the blog are posted. Trolls begin trolling. A couple people begin playing ‘supporter’ roles in order to gain his trust, and more effectively get him off-balance later.
    • MidDipper(me!) made a fake podcaster persona to try and gain his trust that way. Smillia made a supporter persona who had been affiliated with the Church in the past and wanted to reconnect. He didn’t seem interested in engaging ANYONE in any sort of meaningful conversation.
    • Markoff went a different route, claiming to represent an order similar to the Dark Sun, and alleging that the Church didn’t exist. Ted didn’t seem phased.
    • All the shit-flinging from trolls seemed to discourage Ted a little, though.
    "We are requesting a mission update regarding the deception operation against subject known as Ted Benwall"

Agents told Dispatch how Ted was being discouraged.

"SET 6 has found that his latest discourse does indeed indicate he is losing motivation"

"We want to maintain the current strategy and aim to keep his desire to continue the investigation low"

"His investigation introduces the possibility of revealing actual proof of occult energies not yet known by other agencies or government bodies."

"We believe that the group he is investigating may be dealing with actual occult energy forms we have encountered before"

"If he reveals this information online, we need to be certain that anyone outside this agency is immediately doubtful of the information being presented."

"Any communication that has the possibility of moving him away from his investigation is of interest"

"We are still performing an analysis of the cult and reviewing the files in our archive, we expect to have new information for all active agents soon."

"We are still investigating the actual signatures, if we find any developments we will notify you "

"New information will be delivered via agency email servers "

"Additionally, we believe that the cult may have a communication list they use for contacting their members, if you find an opening we need you to insert a honeypot phone number that will inform one of our interception agents."

"The number is 888-724-1143. Do not attempt to add any other phone numbers to this list if you find it."
    COOL, we got a honeypot number. Now how do we plant it?

Around this same time, Ted posted a link to a website for the Church of the Dark Sun (http://darksundawn.com/). At the time, the only links available were ‘Home’, ‘About’, and ‘Receive Contact’. We focused on that last one.

>Seek the new and trade the monster in your pocket to sunbrother with your friendly number (123-456-7890 → 1234-5678-90XX)

So, breaking it down…
    ‘Seek the new’—Neoseeker, a popular pokemon forum
    ‘Trade the monster in your pocket’—pokemon trade, obvious in context
    ‘sunbrother’—literally the username of a user on neoseeker w/ a Dark Sun user avatar
    ‘friendly number’—friend code, duh! The numbers show how to format a phone number as a friendcode! Since the honeypot number is 888-724-1143, formatting it as described yields 8887-2411-43XX. This was messaged to sunbrother, who was looking to trade some sun-themed pokemon(hilarious).

Dylanamite was the one to send the message.
    Response yielded: "Hello Brother!
    I am so glad you are interested, I'll add you straight away."

SUCCESS!

Also, Ted updated the blog in the midst of/maybe slightly after(can’t recall) this puzzle portion.

Update #2

Black Watchmen - Operation NIGHTFALL

1. Action required:

New information has been produced by our analysts, the predictions of the Church of the Dark Sun speak about the coming Abyss. Analysts have researched the possible interpretations of this prophecy, and the following text was found in our database of the Church’s activities:

"Should you face the Abyss and it is not yet time, heed the words of the signal. The instructions for the banishment are repeated at thirty second intervals endlessly at two points across the globe: on C MHZ at the base of H. Straumer’s copy of the famous tower, and the base of Morrow and Gordon’s version on M KHZ."

This text suggests that there is a banishment ritual available at the two points mentioned, given to members if they needed to reverse the process as a fallback. You must first determine the location and means of delivery of the message. When the location and delivery method is found, send this information to Dispatch [[email protected]] and await orders to deploy active agents into the field to gather information.

2. Background:

Church of the Dark Sun is a U.S. based cult with chapters all around the country. We have been aware of them for some time, however there has never been a need to target them with any action. The cult was relatively benign and we did not see hostile intent from them. Ted Benwall was also investigating the cult, intending to create a film about their New York chapter. The latest postings from his blog suggest that the cult is getting ready to undertake some kind of ritual.

3. Recommendation:

(a) Perform an analysis on the passage found in the archives regarding Church banishment ritual communications.

(b) Send any location/delivery method leads to Dispatch [[email protected]] and await deployment instructions

(c) Continue the smear campaign against Ted Benwall (http://www.secondlookdocs.com, Twitter: TedBenwall)

(d) Be prepared to give mission updates daily to Dispatch on IRC at 8:30 PM UTC until mission conclusion
    We pretty quickly figured out that the towers being described were the Funkturm Berlin and the AWA tower, in Germany and Australia respectively. C MHZ and M kHZ were determined to stand for 100 MHz at Berlin and 1000 kHz in Sydney, radio frequencies. Agent WhoAmI went to the AWA tower in Sydney and got pictures and recorded, which was sent to Dispatch for analysis.

In the meantime, LamppostSamurai found Ted’s email address. So that was fun.

Shortly after we submitted the radio information to Dispatch, Ted posted another blog post.

Not too long after THAT, Agent 4TRE got a call from Dispatch concerning the honeypot number we planted.

99 108 121 112 105 116 51 48 109 109 105 105 121 52
    We seek title brother, there are some things which retain virtue only while they are living, others even after death. If a live duck be applied to the belly, it takes away the pain, and the duck dies.
    This isn’t useful to us… Yet…

In the meantime, Dispatch showed up again.
    ~Div66_Dispatch | We are requesting an update on the current mission
    ~Div66_Dispatch | Understood, we will include this new intelligence in the ongoing investigation into the cult
    ~Div66_Dispatch | Our technical report on the radio transmission from Sydney will be released today, we expect it to contain actionable intelligence.
    ~Div66_Dispatch | That is an accurate assumption, Berlin is not needed at this time.
    ~Div66_Dispatch | We are also aware of the Saturday ritual, we expect that the cult is attempting to organize members to attend. We need a location for our strike team before the ritual occurs.
    ~Div66_Dispatch | We suggest all agents monitor the cult website disclosed by Benwall for updates and watch for any information that may lead to the meeting location.
    ~Div66_Dispatch | Further updates will follow as needed.

Then, the Church’s webpage updated. Jantsop found a link hidden in the ‘Meeting’ page source code.
    The ‘Meeting’ page refers to a ‘key’—and the audio from the honeypot phone call data is titled ‘key’. Great! They fit together somehow.

The audio from the honeypot phone call appeared to be from a book, called the Magus. Eventually it was determined the password was
    themagus
    , thanks to Dotensomerville. We cracked it open and got this:

http://i.imgur.com/t3JIsDk.png

Existing but forever closed, we find only ghosts travelling here now beneath the hall.

It didn’t take too long for Smillia to determine that the location indicated was an abandoned subway station in NYC.

Dispatch was contacted and confirmed they'd have the strike team at the location at 11:30PM UTC on Saturday, the time marked on the webpage.

SUCCESS! AGAIN!

While we were solving the cryptobin puzzle, another update was pushed out, with a puzzle in tow.
    Black Watchmen - Operation NIGHTFALL

AREA OF OPERATIONS: WORLDWIDE

1. Action required:

Black Watchmen Technical Labs has provided us with a thorough inspection of the captured audio signal from the Church of the Dark Sun banishment ritual broadcast location. Agent WhoAmI was deployed to Sydney and improvised on site to obtain a recording of the transmission. Agent Kakuzen then sent in the photos and spectrogram to our labs. The data found within seems to be encrypted using a Church cipher wheel. The bulk of the encrypted signal data has been split up and divided among our agents for decryption.

You may find the portion selected for you to decrypt here:

(This was a 7-digit alphanumeric code, different for every agent)

We must uncover the key the Church is using to encrypt their signal and then submit the decrypted text to our Data Composition Service here:

http://cryptography.blackwatchmen.com/

2. Background:

3. Recommendation:

(a) Read the prepared guide for Cipher Wheel Encryption/Decryption here:

http://archive.blackwatchmen.com/search/99BBF2

(b) Work with the Global Agent Network to find the key the Church is using to encrypt/decrypt their signal data and submit your decrypted text to the Black Watchmen Data Composition Service

(d) Send any major developments to Dispatch [[email protected]] and await further instructions once Data Composition Service has received all decrypted data.

(e) Continue the smear campaign against Ted Benwall (http://www.secondlookdocs.com, Twitter: TedBenwall)

(f) Be prepared to give mission updates daily to Dispatch on IRC at 8:30 PM UTC until mission conclusion
    Puzzle while we puzzle? Okay!

The ‘Signs’ page on the Dark Sun website gives seven links to news articles. Each of these links contains something in the headline like ‘5 left’, etc. If you put them all together in order, you get the code to solve with the cipher wheel.

2R, 5L, 3L, 1R, 4R, 2L, 4L

If you’re not used to using a cipher wheel, here’s a helpful guide that Santiak made!

http://i.imgur.com/7a1PBOV.jpg

And as of right now, that’s where we’re at! Trying to decrypt codes as we get them, and continuing to harass Ted.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
    11 people like this.
  11. Lang

Lang Active Agent

TRANSCRIPT FROM MCPHERSON FOLLOWS
    Hello,
    I know that this is a dangerous method of communication, but I'm desperate. I haven't been able to attend meetings of the Church regularly, because I feel like I am being watched. Every time I turn a corner, I feel a looming presence near me, and strange things keep happening. I've been following a man on twitter that claims to be part of the Church as well, and many things he speaks of line up directly with what I've experienced. I have dreams of otherworldly beings, and of a vast emptiness. Sometimes I am allowed to serve them and do their bidding, and I feel very content, and other times I feel as if my very life force is being drained. Every morning, I wake in a cold sweat. Recently, I experienced a theft of a prized family heirloom as well. It was a beautiful silver tea service, and it was taken from my apartment in Brooklyn. Nothing was damaged, nothing else was missing, and there was no forced entry. As soon as I realized it was missing, the same feeling of being observed came over me. I just don't know what to do, and I feel like I have no guidance or support. When I first found the Church, I felt safe, and like I found a place where the truth would unfold. Now I feel so disconnected, like I'm drifting alone. What should I do? What do these things mean? Please help.

-Faun

12. Maurna

Maurna Gold Member

Code received, apologies for the delay, empathy induced migraine. Huge thank you to the person who put the images of the wheel together.

F7FAA74C > DA5F873 accepted and submitted.

13. Dotensomerville

Dotensomerville Active Agent

You got that as a message from someone else? The McPherson person?

14. L3g10N

L3g10N New Agent

1582BAA-F8E7CD1

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2015
  15. Smillia

Smillia Senior Agent

That's me!

16. Smillia

Smillia Senior Agent

You'd posted as Brother Something to Ted's blog before we determined that you were one of us, so I emailed you. :)

17. Lang

Lang Active Agent

Quite the convoluted mystery you concocted for me.

2 people like this.
  18. dylanamite

dylanamite Moderator

Wait wait wait, we need 1028 of these pieces?

19. bljkr

bljkr Gold Member

We don't need all of the pieces, just that there are 1024 pieces available to agents (picture looks to be 32x32 pieces). More then a few of them will be edge pieces. Like one of mine is in the top corner, blank showing a bit of the background that is below the parchment.

20. Lang

Lang Active Agent

E8B7406 DECODED TO CB1C53D
    LOGGED INTO CRYPTOGRAPHY.WATCHMEN