Operation DawnBloom

Discussion in 'Live Events' started by zaelong, Dec 24, 2016.

1. zaelong

zaelong Moderator

Mod note
    ---
    This is an ongoing operation, and as such spoiler tags are not required to be used in this thread. Additionally, please follow our live event etiquette when working on this operation.

A casefile is being maintained by codex, dylanamite, Woozlez, and zaelong. If you would like to contribute to the casefile, please PM one of these Agents. If you are just joining this operation, the above casefile will help to catch you up to current events.

There is a page on the Game Detectives Wiki for this operation, maintained by Agent codex. It will be kept up along with the casefile, but it may be easier to read for some.

Most discussions about this operation are taking place in our Discord server in the #ops_dawn_bloom channel.
    ---

(okay, im not sure where i actually would have to put this, so i placed it here)
    I just found an archive file regarding operation Dawnbloom.

apparantly we are being asked for help regarding the decoding of some weird radio signal.
    the funny thing is, when i contacted the mail adres from the file, i got a replied by a confused agent who didnt even know we had acces to it already?
    (who am a to question him.. i just to stuff without asking questions)

either way i just finished the transcription of one of the recordings and am wondering who else has access to these files?

initial findings:
    words used are colors, moonphases or directions
    and all lines can be formatted in three words (some exaptions are spring green, which can be considered as a single word/color, and "south west", as a single direction)

the noise in the background also needs some investigation; when opened in audacity, the spectogram shows a 'straight' line and there might be some binary properties in it?

Dylanamite found a pattern in the word ordering (there is some sort of cycle in it) every found three word combination results in a letter.
    The voices spel out the words "hello you are the most perfect world"

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2017
  2. zaelong

zaelong Moderator

I made transcripts for the audio files
    one of them already is accesable in pastebin through my 'status' (note that ive 'encrypted' them to base64 (sorry, i dont want them to turn up for the first person who actually wanted to google certain colors or moonphases)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2016
    Virago and Dawn Bloom like this.
  3. Dawn Bloom

Dawn Bloom Special Ops

Thanks for the hard work Zaelong!

4. zaelong

zaelong Moderator

okay, here are the transcripts i made;
    oegfe5kx
    cenhim41
    both are in base64, so they arent 'easily found'
    (yes i couldve used a vigenere autokey, but we all now how easily those are cracked...)

Dawn Bloom likes this.
  5. Dawn Bloom

Dawn Bloom Special Ops

We've converted and saved your transcripts to plain text, but what do you think the message is?

We are having trouble determining what is broadcasting, and the properties of the wave itself are not normal.

The False Point and Hampton Bay recordings are the best quality after trial and error... most attempts only resulted in seconds or horribly distorted recordings.

Beyond solving the riddle of the content, our team also needs help deciding whether to attempt to contact the sender?

6. zaelong

zaelong Moderator

i am still determining the method of encryption; the distortion in the messages also appear binary of nature; @codex-13 if you are reading this, can you determine if there are any hidden messages in the audio files?
    my primary objective is to determine what the keywords represent.
    as of yet i can not give any advice whether or not to contact the sender.

7. codex-13

codex-13 Senior Agent

Haven't had a chance to look, I downloaded the file and will be giving it a once over possibly later tonight but obviously I'm quite busy today and tomorrow.

8. Dawn Bloom

Dawn Bloom Special Ops

The 'noise' that starts in the middle of the broadcast?

It helped us piece those two recordings, False Point and Hampton Bay, together.

After comparing interference, static, and other 'noise' associated with the signal we found that only the interceptions taken underwater off the coast of Montauk New York had a consistent pattern.

Any other instance of this broadcast, in any size, across the western hemisphere did not contain that string of interference.

So we determined that it was not a second source interfering but somehow related, and of course it proved true when we heard the speaker.

It was a very high frequency broadcast for the 'noise' compared to the rest of the broadcast.

We do not believe it is meant to be heard, but is a method of sending data somewhere.

9. codex-13

codex-13 Senior Agent

@Dawn Bloom I agree. The spoken words sound like a meter of sorts, whereas the high pitched noise sounds like encrypted data. You can actually hear some fluctuation in the frequency, I think if I have time to play with it I should be able to tease something out of it. Audio encryption is a hobby of mine.

Dawn Bloom likes this.
  10. zaelong

zaelong Moderator

im not sure if i understand what you are trying to explain, but because it appeared to be binary in nature, i suspect it to be created artificially and maybe even as some sort of baseline, used for decrypting some hidden message inside the audio?

11. codex-13

codex-13 Senior Agent

@zaelong, what I'm saying is the spoken words that you transcripted may or may not be part of the actual message. More likely they're intended to be used to ensure that the received data is intact, and the recipient of the data has a list of words that should also appear. The high pitched beeping/trilling sounds like the data itself that needs to be decrypted. Variations in the frequency indicate, to me, that there is data encoded within the audio there.

12. Dawn Bloom

Dawn Bloom Special Ops

You think matching the voice to a 'true' version would render the 'noise' in correct format?

13. codex-13

codex-13 Senior Agent

@Dawn Bloom It's possible. If you have a 'blank' copy, that could be used. Or we could attempt to use repeats of words with no noise overlaid to cancel the words under the noise.

@zaelong if you have time, this seems a possible avenue, since you said the signal looked binary in your preliminary investigating. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency-shift_keying

EDIT: At the very least it provides a jumping off point for you.

14. zaelong

zaelong Moderator

yeah that was what i was talking about, though i only know the very bare minimum of this.... i think its time to actually learn how to do this stuff ^_^

edit: just to make sure im correct on this; i am supposed to substract the "noise free words", from the similar "noise words" to create the 'actual baseline'?
    and then try to remove the 'carrier signal'
    so only the data/encrypted message remains?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  15. Dawn Bloom

Dawn Bloom Special Ops

Short Version: We have those three audio files, the other recordings we have are the same but with additional interference we ruled out as relevant.

Long Version: The signal is behaving abnormally, and seemingly against all known behavior with our current technology. It can be captured by most antennae, but only for a second before curving to a different frequency.

We have to adjust for this live, and perhaps worse then that it is not behaving like a radio wave locally either. It acts more like a magnetic force moving and only affecting devices directly in position with it.

So we have an underwater series of receivers attached to a fast moving drone that attempts to get as much data as possible while we chase it's movement. Those recordings were our two successful attempts because the high frequency signal unique to that area allowed us to create any semblance from an enormous amount of theoretical positions.

16. codex-13

codex-13 Senior Agent

Zae, what I want you to do for starters is try to isolate the encrypted data signal. That in and of itself is going to be a huge task. So the spoken words and the high pitched noise, consider them as two separate signals being broadcast in unison (I know this isn't the case but it helps when thinking about isolation). There are tools online to isolate noise, see if you can get any usable results from one of them. Then, take the high pitched noise and try to decrypt it. The 'carrier signal' is the high pitched noise with a change of 0. You'll notice, listening to it, that sometimes there is a change to the way it sounds. I don't think you need to isolate the data from the carrier, there are tools that will take care of that for you provided you do the first part correctly. Do some research into how these things work, and find recordings of how they tend to sound using youtube etc until you find something that sounds similar to what we have.

17. jen-jen

jen-jen Active Agent

Hi Zae, from your transcript, all are to do with moon cycles

Gibbous, full, new. cresent

18. dylanamite

dylanamite Moderator

Audio decrypted.

"HELLO YOU ARE THE MOST PERFECT WORLD."

Cardinal Directions, Moon Cycle and Colour Wheel could be combined to form a giant cycle of 36 items. Every triplet or items encodes a letter.

Decryption Table

Full Cycle

I am going to be adding to my Case Files throughout this entire operation - it may be a good place for Agents to catch up with everything that's been happening.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    DrNoodle, themadhuman, UNLorD and 3 others like this.
  19. dylanamite

dylanamite Moderator

Reply from the Taskforce:

Yes we have been watching the IRC,

We have a spread that an agent made mapping the cycle code.

Q98A66 wishes to determine how to broadcast a signal back, but we haven't contacted Division 66 on how to move forward.

We require information on what type(s) of wave form to broadcast, where to broadcast from, what orbital body to bounce off of, and then we can proceed.

Q98A66 Special Task Force

20. Dawn Bloom

Dawn Bloom Special Ops

We have determined that the signal was a coded message,

"Hello You Are The Most Perfect World"

Along with a second Mhrtz SSTV Signal that has disturbing images that have yet to be identified,

Q98A66 wishes to broadcast a message to this sender if possible. We need the following information to proceed.

1. What wave forms are we broadcasting to them?

2. Where should we broadcast from?

3. What orbital body (We believe a satellite, it has to be the same one the signal used) should we use to 'bounce' this signal to the target?

4. What time will that orbital body roughly be in position relative to our Broadcast to mirror the broadcast of the original?

5. What message should we send them?

6. Do we dare or wait for more information to become available?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sm1b5zp67w1gq8p/AACk7eWgyOOlPzgGXcIAz6Nra?dl=0 this is where we have been storing agent data gathered for this operation.

Thank you Agents, please post questions here or message Dawn Bloom

Virago and dylanamite like this.