NT4 USB pen in the mail

Discussion in 'Missions Center' started by Day, Aug 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Day

Day Active Agent

It has a paper with a mission as well, an email address in a QR code and a request for some data to be sent.
    But it is a gmail account with no known PGP key and it is not answering when a PGP key is requested (wrote yesterday)

USB key contains a boot / live disk of Tails (Linux)
    Booting up tails it has an encrypted partition set up already, I tried the code on the slip of paper in the package, it did not work.

So we may have to wait to get the key another way.

If you have a windows PC with Secure boot, here is a guide + warning on how to start up the operating system (OS) on the USB pen:

You have to disable secure boot in order to launch the USB OS as it is not signed, even if you allow for 3rd party CA it will not launch.
    To boot from the USB:

WindowsKey+I , search for "advanced start-up" and press "Restart now", then it will give you the option to boot from USB

This will work if Secure boot is off.
    Try it, the worst that can happen is that the computer just restarts, telling you that secure boot has blocked the USB from launching due to lack of a certificate.

Disabling secure boot:

DISABLING SECURE BOOT MEANS THAT YOU NEED YOUR BITLOCKER BACKUP KEY
    to start up windows after this
    Meaning either the 48 number long reactivation code, a USB you made or going to your Microsoft account.

WindowsKey+I , search for "advanced start-up" and press "Restart now"
    then press "Troubleshoot" > "Advanced Options" > "UEFI Firmware settings" > Restart
    This will load up your BIOS /EFI setup
    Where you can disable secure boot.
    The menus are different depending on who made your computer, but you can google "disable secure boot" and the name that appears in the BIOS (HP, Acer, Asus etc.)

2. tictaktoe333

tictaktoe333 Active Agent

Thats really cool, was it like an early backer reward or something?

3. zaelong

zaelong Moderator

its a kickstarter reward, and theres been a lot of silence regarding this

4. tictaktoe333

Oh cool, I mean its nothing new but its a bit of inventive merch for once!

5. zaelong

zaelong Moderator

its not the first time something like this happens
    during the blackwatchmen kickstarter there also was an option where people could get an USB key; on that one there was a file locked with a password, and an old nursery rhyme
    ive been told that one of the unlocked files, was whitechapel reading "ex oblivione" (the same sound you can now find through the TBW client)

its just that distributing USB keys is very time consuming/expensive and the devs have a lot of bad experiences with 3rd party distrubtors

6. tictaktoe333

Oh I mean that's cool too.. but distributors can be a pain!