New Shop And Pre-order

Discussion in 'General' started by Anashel, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Anashel

Anashel Puppet Master Staff Member

Hi everyone.

I have to talk about money, and I know it's always a sensitive subject. During the last 1,450 hours of testing with the beta, we managed to gather a lot of data. We realized that 80% of the beta players did not participate in the kickstarter campaign, and therefore had no way to pre-order or buy the game.

We updated our shop to accommodate these players. You can now pre-order the game and buy extra side mission packs. We will send a newsletter tonight to invite them to buy a copy of the upcoming Black Watchmen.

Rest assured this does not mean we will kick anyone out of the beta. We are thrilled with the new attention we have been getting from people, and we simply want to give them the means to buy the game. We will continue to produce beta content for the community until the game is ready to launch.

Later next week we will introduce a 'gear' section to the shop where you can order physical item of The Black Watchmen for those of you who missed out on the Kickstater campaign.

Best!

13 people like this.
  2. Khalm

Khalm Gold Member

Awesome, I want more bits than I got originally :)

3. Asariel

Asariel Division-79

Ooooo, fantastic! And I now actually have a bit of dough to spend!

And now a dumb question: I went to $75 on the kickstarter, does that mean I get the basic game? Or do I still need to buy that separately? I'm assuming I don't get any mission packs, though.

4. Anashel

No, you have the season 1 already as a backer on KS, you don't have to buy the game again. Mission pack are indeed extra mission we will release later.

5. Asariel

Asariel Division-79

very cool, thank you! Now I can budget that money for more goodies.

6. Gaudin

Gaudin Active Agent

I like this very much - makes it feel so much more alternate (at least for me) - should also get a lot of attention to lure some more agents - physical stuff always helps - to have something in hand, to wear, to light fires with, etc.

as there are obviously a lot of none kickstarters, make it big - the Shop announcement :)

3 people like this.
  7. Anashel

I updated the Dashboard and added a shop KPI (for paid order). Of course the number is low since it's new. We will be able to track live the conversion rate between beta testers and potential TBW members.

In case you lost the dashboard link, here it is:
    http://bit.ly/1AWH4RE

8. MERCury

MERCury Senior Agent

Great, waited for that as I was a late arrival ;) stumbled over the kickstarter mission video by chance as everything was already over...

And do not be afraid to talk about money: you deserve it for what you are giving to us addicted fluke fishers!

3 people like this.
  9. Ugly

Ugly Senior Agent

Very nice. Now I can be tempted by the swag all over again! Does the in game stuff tie into the whole gold/senior stuff on the forums or is that just a forum thing (and could we get clarification on what those will actually mean going forward)? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2015
    2 people like this.
  10. MERCury

MERCury Senior Agent

It is me again... Does the "Field Agent" pack include 50$ dog tags or have I missed something else in contrast to the 35$ basic season one access?

11. Santiak

Santiak MIA

It might be worth mentioning how much game-time you anticipate for each Mission Pack, and how much you anticipate for the main game.
    Given the 15$ difference between one Mission Pack and the complete first season, people might expect rather substantial Mission Packs - in which case, if they're "just" one or two side-missions, it might create some negative backlash later on.
    Adding an estimate of how much game they're getting with each Mission Pack, would at least prevent anyone from claiming they were mislead.

Granted, such a thing as anticipated game-time might be hard to estimate, given the nature of ARGs, but I imagine even a rough estimate would suffice, i.e. "Anticipated time for newcommers to ARGs" vs "Anticipated time for Nikel".
    (Well, maybe not the last one, people might get the wrong impression about how much they're actually getting for their money ;))

Beyond that, noticed a few typos:

Molybdenum pack:

"A raid on a covert lab uncovered evidence of a(?) bizarre series of experiments involving Moly_denum"

Now, if you'll have me excused, I have a wallet to torment.

6 people like this.
  12. Anashel

Hi!
    Season 1 pricing is low for early pre-order. We will be in the 40$ range on steam. (3$-4$ per month) We plan to have bi-weekly update throughout the year. The mission pack are add-on of a 5 missions series. Our global rules of thumbs was to give in average 1$ per hours of play, so you should solved the mission pack in 20h for example.

That said, in your case, you may solved them much more faster. =)

PS: Thanks for the typos!

2 people like this.
  13. Jarobi

Jarobi Puppet Master

And you have not missed something @MERCury, the Field Agent is the season 1 access plus dog tags.

14. Santiak

Santiak MIA

Good to know :)

Stray thought, considering a large part of what the mission packs are about - I assume - is the lore of them, will they have a seperate section on the forums? So only those who've bought access can see them - as anyone would otherwise be able to participate in them without having bought them, with the exception of getting a badge, and seeing the mission in the client.

In addition, how do you plan on badges working? Will you only be able to showcase one at a time, or do each one alter your.. agent role icon or what not.. in some way?

15. Anashel

1. Mission pack: We will create forums but to limit the access we have to investigate how we can link the forums with the game. That said, reading part of spoiler and not seeing the clues and the in-game interface may become more of a teaser than a way to play the mission without paying.

2. Badge: We plan to have an agent profile page in game that sow all your badge of honor and, again depending with xenforo, would also unlock a title.

3 people like this.
  16. Silverfox

Silverfox Senior Agent

Oh I'm so in. I was Silverfox over in TSW beta and in the game. My question is when you order, is that when you decide the level of immersion or will that be at launch..and where do we send our medical records :)

17. Anashel

You can change your level of immersion after, don't worry. =)

18. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

Does this mean I can get a discount?

(joke)

But my real question, have you thought about bundling the sidequests into a sort of "season pass?" If I imagine myself as a new steam user, completely detached from your business end, I see high prices, at over $100 for the "full game". Steam users are often either turned off by high prices (when the internet hype machine is not backing up the game) or become actively hostile towards the game/developers. Planetary Annihilation had its steam price set high to match the early access tier in kickstarter, but that didn't stop steam users from posting all over the internet about what a "scam" it was. It could lead to a pretty bad downward spiral in PR having dlc for sale (especially day 1 dlc) at a high price regardless of intent...

6 people like this.
  19. Anashel

Hi Nikel!

Sorry, i'm not sure I follow.

The game is 35$. Season 1. That give (around) 30 missions and span over 3 months with probably a ratio of 1$ per gameplay hour. Then you have options, like the mission pack, that you can choose to take or not.

Now all of this is early since we are in the beta phase. But your concern is that our Season 1 could be too expensive, especially on steam? What do you mean by a season pass? (Is it a fix price that unlock all the game for you on a monthly fees?)

20. Santiak

Santiak MIA

I think Nikel refers to the fact that, when people see the game on Steam, they'll see:

Season 1: 35$
    Mission Pack 1: 20$
    Mission Pack 2: 20$
    Mission Pack 3: 20$
    Mission Pack 4: 20$
    Total: 115$

And read it as the complete game that costs 115$, rather than a complete game for 35$, and optional packs for 20$ each, which'll quickly give birth to the "Why wasn't this included in the game!?" argument, I imagine.

If, say, the Mission packs were bundled in a season pass, all 4 for 60$, for example, then people get the impression that it's not content that's released with the game, but content that will come down the road, and they get a discount by purchasing the Season Pass now, rather than the individual Mission Packs later.

So the list above becomes:

Season 1: 35$
    Mission Pack 1: 20$
    Mission Pack 2: 20$
    Mission Pack 3: 20$
    Mission Pack 4: 20$
    Season Pass (Mission Pack 1 - 4): 60$

In which case, the fact that the "Season Pass" is there, means that people jump to the conclusion that the Mission Packs aren't "Day 1 DLC", but later "Expansions", thus avoiding the "Why wasn't this included in the game!?" argument.

4 people like this.