Mission #28

Discussion in 'Missions Center' started by crux, May 6, 2016.

1. crux

crux Special Adviser

Use this thread to discuss Mission 28 of Season 2.
    Feel free to post theories, clues, hints, or anything else, as long as you DO NOT POST THE ANSWER.

Spoiler tags are your friend!

2. PapaD

PapaD Senior Agent

Is the link broken or meant to be like that? for part one anyway, managed to sort it
    Well the first part appeared broken for me but did show a list, I used that list to create a google map then searched for hidden imagery in that area, fairly straight forward

3. PapaD

PapaD Senior Agent

Part two

I spent more time looking for the right Char codes to replicate the clue given than it took to solve.
    A google search on a direct translation of the code given worked for me

4. urnammu

urnammu Active Agent

Logic would dictate that it's not that far from the end point of the trail, but
    I couldn't find anything closeby which has a name which fits the required pattern. There's a parking which does not fit, and an appartment building/shopping complex without an apparent name.
    Should I look further afield?

5. codex-13

codex-13 Senior Agent

Look closely at what you are asked for.

It likely won't have a name that is listed on the map. You're looking for gaps or pasted-in fake images in the map.

6. bladedraconis

bladedraconis Senior Agent

Could you give me a nudge? I don't seem to find anything...

7. zaelong

zaelong Moderator

@bladedraconis i wonder what
    the 4 could mean.... its referred to as being a method...

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2016
  8. Jarobi

Jarobi Puppet Master

Thanks for your comment @zaelong, please remember to put hints as spoilers.

9. zaelong

zaelong Moderator

sorry, i thought it was cryptic enough for not being a true spoiler...

10. urnammu

urnammu Active Agent

So, I've been
    looking at Panoramia fotos in Google Earth and at the 'imagery' tab in Google maps, both at the end point of the track and near gaps in the route
    Nothing seems to stand out, though...

11. zaelong

zaelong Moderator

try to reread the report your given;
    big spoiler/hint!!
    it advices you to look for a list of places that are shielded

12. urnammu

urnammu Active Agent

OK, I found it 'by accident'. Still not sure I like this puzzle design, though.

There are no obvious gaps in the gps track, and it turns out I had to look much farther from the track then what I was originally doing. but hey, it's a veteran mission :)

13. Ravenhold

Ravenhold Senior Agent

Figured out the method used. figured out the keys. Figured out the format. worked the problem several times. Arrived at the same answer each time. emailed Omicron. Got the same method used in the same format. arrived at same answer. Tried entering the answer different ways. Still hasn't worked. Any ideas?

14. Natalia X

Natalia X Active Agent

Have you tried
    reversing your method?

15. Ravenhold

Ravenhold Senior Agent

That worked! Thank you ^^.

16. No Name

No Name New Agent

Can't quite figure out where to start with the method and keyword after I've gotten the sheet from OU. I don't even know which of the four to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

17. zaelong

zaelong Moderator

the method and keywords are described in the initial briefing.
    and in the cheat-sheet you got from the omicron unit the keywords are already implemented.
    the key in getting the right code, is knowing/understanding what 'encryption method' is used

note the 4[square] thats written behind, 'method'; thats a big hint

18. No Name

No Name New Agent

I think I've gotten farther, but this is still breaking me down here. I've erased nearly through a piece of paper trying to do this, but I just can't get it. The thing has gone forward backward OC's sent help and everything. Also every piece of help you've sent has been paid attention to. Still I can't wrap my head around it. Will you please help me with one more?

19. zaelong

zaelong Moderator

ill try to describe the steps you must take to decrypt the message
    it might look a bit chaotic, but as soon as you get the method, it will make sense... sort of
    as you mightve noticed by now, this is a four square cipher
    i works a bit like playfair but with a twist.
    to encrypt a message with this grid, you look up your first letter in the upper left grid and look for the second letter in the lower right grid.
    then you go horizontal to the right looking for the letter thats right above the second letter (from the lower right grid), this should be your first encrypted letter. than you go left from the second letter till you are right below the first letter, to get the second encrypted letter.
    you repeat these steps until you have encrypted your message.
    note that when you are decrypting a message, you work with the top right and the bottom left grids, to get the original message

20. No Name

No Name New Agent

Thank you very much. That helped a great deal.