Mission #2

Discussion in 'Archived Missions' started by Zerosh, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Zerosh

Zerosh Sleeper Agent

Use this thread to discuss theories and keep track of clues and hints.
    Also, please post here the link to any document (or similar) created to cooperate on the mission.
    Meanwhile I'll try to keep this post updated with useful info and hints.
    Note: It's recomended to download all images and files in order to work with less difficulty.

Hints
    Part 1
    All you need is http://www.asciitohex.com/ and the coded message
    Decimal
    105 110 32 112 111 115 105 116 105 111 110

Part 2
    All you need is http://www.asciitohex.com/ and the coded message
    Remembert that you are being asked for a location

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2015
  2. Alex Potter

Alex Potter New Agent

hello everyone i am 100% stuck with this

so i had to youtube the answer to get it they went on a website off cemera so i don't know what one it was but i have the answer ..... i will not post it here i entered it at least 4 times but it won't let me please sent me a private message with what do to as it's not fair to give the answer to the those who want to play without youtube thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2017
  3. zaelong

zaelong Moderator

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  4. raul_ct

raul_ct Moderator

Merging threads and adding spoilers tags

5. King Merrygold

King Merrygold New Agent

Anyone figure out the code hidden in the Overview of Codebreaking? Do we need to wait for other pages from the Division 79 Basic Training Manual before it can be decoded?

6. berzerk0

berzerk0 Active Agent

In this mission, we are going to get you situated with the Archive.
    Our archive is a treasure trove of important information all conveniently organized by call number.

To visit a certain document, simply go to https://archive.blackwatchmen.com and enter in your call number.

http://www.asciitohex.com/ is a convenient tool for converting commonly used representations of data. If you want to encode a piece of plaintext, simply enter it into the Text (ASCII/ANSI) box and press the Convert button attached to the ASCII/ANSI Box.

To decode a piece of ciphertext, enter it into the appropriate box and press the CONVERT button attached to that box. As you learn the ropes, you'll be able to tell what type of converter you will need. If you are unsure - try converting a known plaintext (such as the word hello) into all other formats and seeing if any match your ciphertext.

Nudgery

I've tried to write this in such a way that you can get progressively stronger hints.
    Working it out yourself is the fun part, and where you really learn.
    Try the little nudges before moving on to the big ones.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1-2.1 Voice in the Ether

AND

1-2.2 Orders from HQ

Nudge:
    The first step to decrypting ANY cipher is to attempt to understand what type of cipher you are looking at. This will not always be obvious, but in this case, the Agency has given you the tools needed to convert your ciphertext into plaintext.

Slightly Bigger Nudge
    Here are some tips to recognizing a few common ciphers/representations of data:

• Binary - only uses 0's and 1's. A single binary digit is called a bit. Binary is most often grouped into bytes, which are sections of 8 bits.
    • Decimal - only uses numbers. Decimal is the number system you are most familiar with. It uses base ten, meaning each "place" of a number is a power of ten.
    • Hexadecimal - hex can be most easily recognized by the fact it only uses the symbols 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, a, b, c, d, e, f. It can often be broken into "pairs" of these symbols.
    • BASE64 - base64 uses symbols A-Z a-z 0-9 + /. In most cases, a value encoded into base64 ends in the equals sign (=)
    • ROT13 - uses only letters. ROT13 is the most commonly implemented version of a "shift" or "Caesar" substitution cipher. In ROT13, you take a letter of the alphabet, and replace it with the letter 13 places down in the alphabet. A becomes N, B becomes O, C becomes P, and so on. Why 13 places? Simple - ROT13 is its own reverse.

Note that as far as your computer is concerned, there is ONLY binary. Most of the time, binary isn't viewed as 0's and 1's but in hexadecimal. Each hexadecimal character is shorthand for 4-bits - so one hex pair represents one byte.

Decimal is not assigning the letters in your cipher their values in the alphabet, A is NOT equal to 1, B is NOT equal to 2, etc. Decimal actually automatically converted from the hexadecimal value, which is decoded from binary.

b2 = binary, b16 = hex, b10 = decimal (normal numbers)

ASCII: BWM

Binary: 01000010 01010111 01001101
    Hex: 42 57 4d (0100 b2 = 4 b10, 0010 b2 = 2 b10, 01010 b2 = 5 b10... etc.)
    Decimal: 66 87 77 (42 b16 = 66 b10, since (4 * 16 = 64, + 2 * 1 = 2)

ROT13: OJZ

Note that in this instance, the Base64 representations does not end in the equals sign. This is because our plaintext is purely alphanumeric. Had we included any punctuation, our ciphertext would end in an equals sign.

7. Ryumit

Ryumit Active Agent

Thought I'd post this here as it seems the most relevant place. Because Iv has alot of time on my hands this week I have looked into something.

The spelling mistake in 3.2.2 and the extra binary numbers give us the letters TDA. Because the puzzle pieces gave us
    Thallium and Cadmium. (I haven't check M3 yet but I'm positive it will be similar. ) both have significant use within the nuclear science/medical areas. When looking for anything with TDA I have found the Matrix Element TDA which is linked heavily to nuclear and atomic physics. Could be a huge coincidence but one I thought worth mentioning. Hope that's interesting to someone. Would be great to know.

8. Kemis

Kemis New Agent

How are those binary numbers giving you D and A? They're ASCII values for carriage return and line feed.