Mission #17

Discussion in 'Missions Center' started by dylanamite, Jan 14, 2016.

1. dylanamite

dylanamite Moderator

Use this thread to discuss Mission 17 of Season 2.
    Feel free to post theories, clues, hints, or anything else, as long as you DO NOT POST THE ANSWER.

I will keep this thread updated as more gets posted.

2. Aquilas

Aquilas Senior Agent

I had some challenges on Mission 17, but overall enjoyed it looking back.

Here is the live stream to follow along with. Be aware...this contains answers through out the video.

3. Arhoolie

Arhoolie Active Agent

This was a really fun mission until the last part. Spent about 2 hours digging around trying to find what I need. Turns out the map with all those locations is gone, possibly removed on purpose for political reasons by the city council (there seems to be a cottage industry of FOIA requests for this info across England).

Near as I can tell, the mission is unfinishable without watching the solution video. OK, I guess you can brute force this one, but where's the fun in that?

Big Thanks for the video, it's nice to get unstuck. I really didn't want to have to file a FOIA request...

2 people like this.
  4. Jarobi

Jarobi Puppet Master Staff Member

We created this mission with multiple ways of finishing the last puzzle without using the map. However, we will revisit the mission if more players report having difficulty. Thanks for alerting us to this change @Arhoolie!

5. Arhoolie

Arhoolie Active Agent

Actually, I take it back. I was curious about another way to do it, as I'm pretty certain a web search is impossible (even if you know the answer and search on it). It turns out
    a thorough street map crawl
    does the trick. Daunting, but definitely possible.

6. DrNoodle

DrNoodle Senior Agent

That's how I solved it. Web searches were fruitless as noted above. Brute force might have gotten me the solution faster, but where's the fun in that?

7. Krazek

Krazek Active Agent

Just finished it, and yeah, it's doable without web searches. I was probably just being dumb but a small quality of life improvement might be useful.

I didn't pay attention to the XXX's so I kept trying to enter the grid reference without the 0. Might be nice if the 'short' answer is accepted as well. I'm assuming Agent Grisha wouldn't have any difficulty understanding it. Although, I can also totally live with the idea that Agent Grisha is being obtuse on purpose to get revenge on me for interrupting his vacation...

8. berzerk0

berzerk0 Active Agent

C17 - Lockdown

Nudges

17-1 Safe House
    What do our scientists need? Resources, meteorological resources.
    If we are moving them into the US, what organization plays the biggest role in this field?
    Who Administrates Oceanic and Atmospheric resources in the Nation?

What SPECIFIC weather do our scientists need to study?

Bigger Nudge
    Poke around online, it might turn out you already know a a organization like this

17-2 Tamper Proof
    Read the prompt carefully. I spent time entering in names of hashing algorithms and wondering why I was wrong.

Make sure you don't include "MESSAGE TO ENCODE>"

The requirements for our system are pretty clear - do some research and you will understand them. You are looking for a hashing algorithm to apply to our message, and then the right output to enter in.

Bigger Nudge
    We are looking for a Hashing Algorithm, but it can't be weak. We need one that is Secure.
    Take a close look at our output bit size

17-3: Solutions

No, I am not giving you solutions. That's just the name of the mission.
    Supercomputers aren't built like average ones. They don't use all of the same design principles and file systems. For this mission, we can use the term "architecture" as a drop-in replacement for the term 'File System.'

What information has Agent "Sunshine and Rainbows" Grisha (who I think actually is a big fan of ours under his prickly exterior) given us about what we are looking for? Do we know exactly where we are looking? We know we are looking for information about a supercomputer - maybe you can fill any knowledge gaps you had about them with some research. I know I had to.

Additional Wordplay Nudge that I hope makes sense!
    I thought I knew something about computers since building one, but it seems my knowledge isn't what I thought it was. If only there was some idiom that I could use to describe when something used to seem really glitzy and top-of-the-line, but then seems less appealing with time. Maybe it has lost its certain something? I don't know, buster.

Man, forcing wordplay clues makes me sound like a cornball.

17-4: Dead End
    The networked 21st century is a well-surveilled place. We are so confident that there is a camera we can use that we don't even need to go visit our target location to find one!

Are there places online we can find live camera streams? I mean, don't answer that with too much depth, how you spend your 'me-time' no one else's business. Some municipalities allow you to view live traffic cameras (here is a live Times Square feed), and some hotels provide a live stream of their picturesque views (a hotel in Amsterdam) - are we in one of those places?

We might not be looking for a camera that is streamed to the public - in that case it would be harder to find. There might be no alternative for live, in person, 'boots on the ground' shoeleather reconnaissance. Fill out Requisition Form 127F for travel to Exeter and in 6-8 weeks the Watchmen will send a car provided you carry two forms of identif...

What methods do we have that simulate walking on the streets themselves? Is there a method we have already used?

Bigger Nudge
    Our camera can't be too far from the target location, or else we couldn't see anything.
    Cameras are often placed at good vantage points to get a better view of their surroundings, so you may want to search high and low.

Some some CCTV cameras look like glass domes, and some others have the classic metal-box-with-a-lens-sticking-out shape.