Mission #15

Discussion in 'Missions Center' started by dylanamite, Jan 14, 2016.

1. dylanamite

dylanamite Moderator

Use this thread to discuss Mission 15 of Season 2.
    Feel free to post theories, clues, hints, or anything else, as long as you DO NOT POST THE ANSWER.

I will keep this thread updated as more gets posted.

HINTS

Part 1:

Recall Mission 14. You're doing something similar to what you did then.
    The password is all lowercase. Use the text and the image to help figure it out.
    You're looking for a hidden message.
    The context of the text itself isn't important. This could be done with any text.
    This site will help you. http://www.grimmstories.com/en/grimm_fairy-tales/the_three_snake-leaves
    Click the German translation on the above site.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2016
    2 people like this.
  2. Wojteknology

Wojteknology Active Agent

Is anybody else having trouble with the paste? It says "not found, this paste may have expired."

3. zaelong

zaelong Division-79

works fine for me
    note the number of characters after a regular cryptobin link

does anyone have problems finding the passcode for the second part?
    i got the encrypted part, but my codes dont fit....

update:
    found it
    caps are important

4. PapaD

PapaD Senior Agent

ok, got so far and hit a wall and seem to have gone in a circle so...
    I have a familiar website decoded from the text given,but that doesn't seem to be the answer
    I also think the jpeg name is relevant for something else but not sure what
    am I on the right lines?
    EDIT
    O k I was just had to jiggle the text to make it work

5. dylanamite

dylanamite Moderator

The wesbite is the right track. Make sure you type it exactly as you decoded.
    (xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx)

6. Aquilas

Aquilas Senior Agent

I took 2.5 hours to solve Mission 15..... just saying. Here is the Live Stream video footage for those wanting to watch and follow along.

3 people like this.
  7. PapaD

PapaD Senior Agent

8. DeiDhena

DeiDhena Senior Agent

S2 mission 15: one of the best missions for me, big story, a lot of investigation, code cracking and head scratching!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
  9. zaelong

zaelong Division-79

And a lot of agent bashing... why can't you just send in a postcard or something...

10. DontLaugh

DontLaugh Active Agent

im having troubles with 15.2. Please help me...
    The code in agent azuro's image is different now. not like the one in agent diesal or aquilas's video. I thought the capitalized "missing part" is the password to azuro's pdf, but it's not. now im stuck.

11. codex-13

codex-13 Voynich

Hi! I'll try to offer some help, for you and for future agents.

Remember how we used the map photo in 15.1?
    There's more to the image than the Archive Reference # contained within.
    There are some differences between the image that Azuro sent us and the original version of this crest.

12. DontLaugh

DontLaugh Active Agent

Thank you very much. i finally got it right

because i've been looking into the wrong version of that original image.

codex-13 likes this.
  13. Sanner

Sanner Active Agent

15.1 - why fluid? did not find any connections to this word

14. berzerk0

berzerk0 Active Agent

EDIT - Solved! See below for nudges

Here's a hint and a request for help

Nudges:

15.1 - Map

Getting through Azuro's first communication to the second
    Azuro's Primary method of communication - you know how to deal with this by now.

Do you know the names of the states of Venezuela? What color have the states been highlighted? What information has been provided to you? What could have a "high risk of transmission" in these areas? Transmission by what means? In that part of the country - what would you describe the terrain as? Could that type of terrain be associated with anything that has a "high risk of transmission?"

and then my trail goes cold...

Here's what I have tried so far - a nest of spoilers within spoilers so I can tell those who have solved it what I have done without giving anything else away to those who don't want to - it came out kind of silly but I don't want to spoil the magic for anyone!

To read the whole thing at once, just hit each spoiler button.

I've read all other clues in the thread, so I know that I am looking for
    a hidden message, not a translation
    With the hints that
    "any text could have been used"
    and that
    "there was more to the image than previous missions"
    I guessed that the document was to be used as a
    book cipher with the key coming from the image somehow. I noticed that the title of the image file did not have any letter past F in the alphabet, so I guessed that it was written in hexadecimal. I used ascii-to-hex to translate it into decimal and then listed the corresponding words.

I got what seems to be nonsense. I did this for
    both the original and the English translation (not from google translate) of the document and got what seems to be nonsense. I have started at the beginning of the story, and from "Der Konig hatte eine Tochter...' in both English and German.
    From the thread so far it seems this mission was changed, so there isn't much in the way of hints since it was at its most active. I saw the hint from codex-13 that
    possibly contained a typo/hint to tell me to look at a Crest. Colonia Tovar's coat of arms has the founding year 1843 on it, but the 18th and 43rd words didn't amount to anything in either version of the document - starting at either point

Can someone provide me with a nudge here?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  15. codex-13

codex-13 Voynich

Look at the German again.
    That's just a portion of the story (not even from the start if I recall correctly).
    I wonder where you could find the full story?
    There's a way of passing messages that involves using a pin to poke out letters from newspapers. I was fascinated with this as a child when I first got into my 'spy phase' (which to be fair I haven't quite left even now)
    Try comparing the version that Azuro gave you of this story with the original version you've found online.

16. berzerk0

berzerk0 Active Agent

Thanks codex 13 - I had accomplished everything up until the 4th Spoiler, that and my new copy of Cryptography: The Science of Secret Writing by L. Smith circa 1943 should help me

And of course none of us have left our spy phase, that's why we play this game!

EDIT - Solved it!

Of course, the answer contains something I came across in research but had no reason to enter in.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    codex-13 likes this.
  17. berzerk0

berzerk0 Active Agent

Nudges:

15.1 - Map

15.1 Part 1 - Getting through Azuro's first communication to the second
    Azuro's Primary method of communication - you know how to deal with this by now.

Do you know the names of the states of Venezuela? What color have the states been highlighted? What information has been provided to you? What could have a "high risk of transmission" in these areas? Transmission by what means? In that part of the country - what would you describe the terrain as? Could that type of terrain be associated with anything that has a "high risk of transmission?"

15.1 Part 2 Azuro's Second Communication
    What is this message? Sprischt de Deutsch? Maybe you can find another version of this message somewhere online.
    Why would the group post this message somewhere in its entirety when another version can be found so easily?
    Is there something special about this copy of the message? Look very closely, try proofreading it even.

This spoiler isn't a nudge, it is me taking you by the hand and walking you down the path to victory.
    I was trying to compare the messages, but I kept getting what felt like an incomplete solution out of it. I chalked this up to human error on my part.
    So, I took out the potential for human error and wrote a script for what I was trying to do.
    You can find it here-link
    Mods, if this is against the rules, I apologize.

15.2 - Coat of Arms
    I made a blood pact for my first born with the Witches in Order to solve this one. In reality, there was a glitch that somehow allowed me to...
    access the password-protected PDF without a password? I don't remember typing in a password attempt and having it open, it just sort of opened when I unminimized it.
    Spooky!
    EDIT -- Originally, this meant I didn't have a nudge here. Now I do.

15.2 Part 1 - Azuro's First Communication
    Azuro could use smoke signals or maybe carrier pigeon. No one would suspect a pigeon! Instead he uses the same method that we process the same way we have before.

15.2 Part 2 - Accessing Azuro's Second Communication
    The witches helped me out here, but here is a nudge.
    What was the image Azuro sent us? Can we find something similar to it elsewhere? In these images so far, our agent has given us a little hint to what part of the image to look at - where is it placed here?

Are there any differences between our image and similar images found elsewhere? Where has this leg of our journey been taking place? What would its citizens call it?

Spoiler - A part I don't understand
    Venezuela and all of the territories that used to be Gran Colombia honor Simon Bolivar. Venezuela's currency is even called the Bolivar. On their shield, we find two references to General Simon. One is obvious, one is a possible allegory. You will only need to consider one of them to find your answer.

15.2 Part 3 - Following Azuro's Directions
    It's the 21st century, of course our Coven uses the internet. They have held on to tradition and their history, however.
    Have you read their website? It might provide a little context about their origins.

Convenient that they speak English, and not German or Spanish.
    "Kirche" and "Iglesia" mean "Church," and our Kirche is actually a relic of the old country - what can you find out about it? Could that lead to any hints about the history of the Coven?

On the contact page, what is in front of you? Look at everything, Germans are known for being efficient and might not include anything that wouldn't be useful to you. Read between the lines and look beyond the words. Consider this - What were we looking at an image of in the last part of the mission

Spoiler - a bigger nudge
    Why did the witches leave Wurzburg?
    Our church is a replica. Where's the original?
    What connection would that location have to our coven and Wurzburg?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  18. hotwaterltd

hotwaterltd New Agent

It looks like this mission has been updated---specifically, the password on the file in 15.2. I've tried all the obvious things and I'm not sure where to go from here.

19. berzerk0

berzerk0 Active Agent

If it has been altered since I did it two weeks ago, I would be very surprised.
    Sometimes things are so obvious that they don't seem obvious.
    If you want to talk it through live, shoot me a PM and we can go through it.