Kali Linux

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kakuzen, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Kakuzen

Kakuzen Gold Member

Well, since NITE Team 4 Kickstarter being near completion, I am going to try my hand at Kali Linux! Now, I know absolutely nothing about UNIX or anything like Debian or Gnome, or how to use the terminal. So I am going to try to learn by starting with Ubuntu, etc... Any tips from a Linux buff? :D VirtualBox_Kali-Linux-2016.1-vbox-amd64_11_10_2016_21_42_07.jpg

3 people like this.
  2. codex-13

codex-13 Senior Agent

Tip: There's lots of online documentation. USE IT! So helpful.

3. exibition

exibition Senior Agent

All I know is that I have Ubuntu 16.04 and Steam won't start because of the video card and I don't seem to be able to fix it... :mad::(:confused:
    Anyway, I agree that there's a lot of online documentation.
    It is helpful, you just need to be aware of the specificities of Linux, especially profile authorizations (dear "sudo"), use of terminal, locations of folders.

4. Balamung

Balamung Senior Agent

Well, I think the most helpful tip is to not hesitate about googling anything and everything, either to figure out how to do something, or even if you know how to do it, to learn how it works, which will help you understand most issues you can face =D
    Been using Debian at work for a few years now, never would have made it without Google =P

5. crux

crux Special Adviser

There are a lot of good books written about how to use Kali Linux, one that I'm reading is Web Penetration Testing with Kali Linux. Once you learn how to use Kali, you'll probably want to try out some of the hacking tools. But, obviously you want to do so legally and not go to jail for experimenting. Pentesterlab has free virtual machines you can install and use for testing hacking tools on, they're really good for learning.

Good luck and don't do anything illegal!

2 people like this.
  6. Kakuzen

Kakuzen Gold Member

Don't worry, if I do hacking, it'd be all white hat :)

2 people like this.
  7. Jimbo9

Jimbo9 Special Agent