Idea For Recruiting New Agents?

Discussion in 'General' started by Lone Wolf, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Senior Agent

So lately I've had this idea tossing around in my head as an interesting way to recruit agents. Given the clandestine nature of the agency, I thought of using business cards (or something of the sort) and give them to possible recruits in a discrete way. Here's how it would work:
    Step 1: Make a few cards (They will probably have the TBW logo on the front, and something about saying how this person has caught the attention of the agency)
    Step 2: Locate possible candidates (What do you guys think makes an effective agent?)
    Step 3: Slip the card into a place he/she will find it (i.e. A backpack or jacket pocket)

I was thinking of starting this in my school to start a little agency cell. The card may direct them to my steam username so they can talk to me for questions.
    So, what do you think? Is this a good idea, or is there a chance I may get into trouble for this? If you like it, feel free to drop some suggestions below, as I'm still fine-tuning this concept. What should the card say? Who should I give them to? How would you recruit new agents? I wanna hear your thoughts on this.

3 people like this.
  2. MidDipper

MidDipper Division-79

I 'recruit' people in this way already! I have business cards that I take to gaming conventions etc that have contact information for me on the front (steam, email, twitter), and a one-image puzzle on the back that will direct them to message me about the Black Watchmen specifically. :) I need to get new cards made to reflect a change I made in the puzzle recently though.

2 people like this.
  3. Castilion

Castilion Senior Agent

I do this with Ingress glyphs. Dont judge me.

2 people like this.
  4. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Senior Agent

What kind of puzzle?

5. MidDipper

MidDipper Division-79

6. Castilion

Castilion Senior Agent

I quite like those, mind if I nick them?

7. MidDipper

MidDipper Division-79

@Castilion the answer is pretty specific to me (has my email in it), I can walk you through making something similar for yourself though.

8. Castilion

Castilion Senior Agent

Oh damn, woops. Id be cuirous what your method is though...

9. MidDipper

MidDipper Division-79

Ping me on IRC and I can give you a breakdown of how the puzzle works :)

10. Vortex209

Vortex209 New Agent

I might make posters with a simple binary encryption

11. Castilion

Castilion Senior Agent

Premix some brown and print out the Watchmen logo as the label...

3 people like this.
  12. zaelong

zaelong Moderator

For starters, I wouldn't use my own personal mail a dress on these things and especially not unencrypted (I'd put it at least through a rot13 or atbash)
    And seeing the clue I guess the key contains a Capital Letter in it, which is just hell. I'll try it in a minute though, when I'm on a computer

3 people like this.
  13. OmegaSeven

OmegaSeven Senior Agent

It's a bit... yellow? I mean, our Agency colours aren't exactly... bright... Maybe go stark with the colours like MD's, some white text on black (and make it bold white text and avoid script fonts like that because they're just painful to look at - especially on yellow :p )

3 people like this.
  14. themadhuman

themadhuman Division-79

Ok, thanks for the input Zaelong and OmegaSeven! This is version 3.0...
    blackcard3.0.jpg
    going to bone up the design soon-this is not for print-feedback on puzzle would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2016
    3 people like this.
  15. Castilion

Castilion Senior Agent

I finally jumped on the bandwagon: http://imgur.com/t8nNXcv
    Im not done with all of the puzzles but for a trailhead that could *look* worse...

7 people like this.
  16. themadhuman

themadhuman Division-79

Sharp looking, Castilion.

17. MidDipper

MidDipper Division-79

Both of them look great! :) @themadhuman let me know if you want help adapting it for print.

3 people like this.
  18. Aquilas

Aquilas Senior Agent

So I said this in IRC, but will post it here.

In terms of recruiting new agents I think we have to look at this as a grass roots recruitment. There is no simple way to just recruit people and hope they stick, instead the members of this community need to integrate themselves or work with communities that they share interest with.

We can't expect recruitment in the form of advertisement or spam posting on forums etc. We need people who are or want to become a part of other communities of varying interests to integrate themselves enough to convince people to come to The Black Watchmen instead without being spam advertisers.

There are many type of interests that we can observe and integrate into (become spies for the organization) and identify and invite new recruits to the agency. Be on the lookout for any of the following communities...some of you may already be a part of them.

• Interactive story telling
    • Sci-fi
    • Alternate Reality Games
    • Secret Agent / Spy
    • Paranormal
    • Mystical
    That is really just a small list of interests and I am sure there are tons more that could be listed and there are probably too many communities to even think about for each interest.

The idea here is to go back to your other communities or your interests and find new people to come over. Different people need different things to interest them. A cryptic message might work in some locations, but a story about a personal experience with the game might do better elsewhere.

You have to understand the interest and the community in order to reach out to them and bring them into the fold properly.

7 people like this.
  19. Castilion

Castilion Senior Agent

Thankfuly, most of my nerd friends get REALLY curious if I start unveiling mysterious curios. Buisness cards are actually rather effective in my case \O/

20. zaelong

zaelong Moderator

okay, im defenitly not a graphic artist, but i got something
    [​IMG]
    it might have some spelling errors in it though

2 people like this.