How Long Will Tbw Servers Remain Up?

Discussion in 'ARG Support' started by Nightbreed, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Nightbreed

Nightbreed Active Agent

By that I mean the servers that host the websites needed for many of the missions.

I never played Majestic back in 2001 but read that the EA servers hosting the websites created for the game were decommissioned about a year after the release. This rendered the game unplayable since it was played out on the web. Although I know it isn't an EA title, I'm just wondering if The Black Watchmen is likely to suffer the same fate. Can we expect the back-end of the game to be operational for a good long while?

If I had to guess, I'm inclined to think it'll be around for quite a while. From what I can tell it looks like much (all?) of the back-end is hosted using AWS. I'm pretty sure the overhead and cost for running TBW compared to Majestic is considerably less.

I just got into TBW but so far this week have logged over 30 hrs. It's quickly become one of my favorite games of all time. I just don't want to see it go anywhere.

3 people like this.
  2. themadhuman

themadhuman Division-79

I'm sure the devs will chime in, but I doubt that the websites will be going anywhere. Furthermore I hope to be playing TBW from the nursing home when I am ancient. Welcome to the forum NightBreed! You are going at the same pace I did when I started in January-at that rate you should be done with season 1 and 2 when season 3 starts. You are getting here during an exciting time, while the forum is kind of slow since it is between seasons, The Black Watchmen Universe has expanded to include an early release and a greenlit game. With TBW, Ahnayro and NiteTeam4 I am such a fan of these devs it is kind of my holy trinity.

2 people like this.
  3. Nightbreed

Nightbreed Active Agent

Thanks for the welcome, and the info! I think I'll be done with season 2 by the end of next week. Can't wait for season 3! It looks like I have plenty to keep busy with though, since I still have to figure out what's up with the puzzle pieces, secret missions, and sandboxes. Looking forward to diving into a new season with you guys!

I also picked up Ahnayro and it looks to be as promising as TBW. Haven't tried NiteTeam4 yet, but it's next on my list.

4. dylanamite

dylanamite Moderator

I feel confident in saying that they'll be up for as long as possible. If, for some reason, a website has to be taken down I'm sure the Devs will find an alternative so that the game is still playable.

Also, those puzzle pieces will take you a good while and the sandboxes are very creative so I'm sure you'll have plenty to keep you occupied :) welcome to TBW!

2 people like this.
  5. Anashel

Anashel Puppet Master Staff Member

Hi there!

This game is indeed like an MMO and not a stand alone game, we need to keep the server running (and the money coming) to support it. That said, as you pointed out, we are hosted on AWS. This mean that, if the traffic get lower, we can lower the instance capacity to a minimum hence reducing the cost.

2 people like this.
  6. Kakuzen

Kakuzen Gold Member

Hey Nightbreed! Good to see you on the forums! Glad my review helped influence you to help buy the game! But yeah, like any MMO, the servers will stay up as long as there are people to pay to keep them up. It'll be up for quite a while, but it may go the way of the "Year Zero" ARG. The ARG went down, and after a few years, the websites went down.

Year Zero was led by 42 Entertainment, who made the ARGs "I Love Bees" for Halo 2, "Human Preservation Project" for 5 Gum, and "Flynn Lives" for Tron: Legacy.

Now, hopefully, this will be way dIfferent, because this is a PARG, where it will last way longer :) If you have any questions, let me know!

2 people like this.
  7. Anashel

Anashel Puppet Master Staff Member

It is also possible to think that The Black Watchmen could become open source in the future so tech savvy people could use the tech to create their own ARG universe. :)

3 people like this.
  8. Kakuzen

Kakuzen Gold Member

That is an amazing idea! Open-source ARGs for the mainstream market? Shoot, that sounds awesome!

2 people like this.
  9. Nightbreed

Nightbreed Active Agent

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, with all that considered I probably easily have another 70+ hours of gameplay to go, especially if I don't get tempted to look at the hints. :)

10. Nightbreed

Nightbreed Active Agent

Thanks for the info! That's great to know. I took some AWS administration courses earlier this year and was even more impressed with TBW (and AWS) after I started playing. Incredible work!!

11. Nightbreed

Nightbreed Active Agent

Hey man! Yeah, I can't thank you enough hehe. That review of yours was what sold me on the game. After I read it, and you confirmed that it's playable in between seasons, I couldn't get the game off my mind. Not only is TBW as good as I hoped, it's even better!

I've never played the other ARGs you mentioned, and unfortunately looks like I won't have the chance. But TBW already has more longevity than Majestic, for example, so I take that as a good sign. :)

2 people like this.
  12. Kakuzen

Kakuzen Gold Member

I appreciate the enthusiasm! Just merge all replies into one post next time ;P Saves the mods time and decreases spam. But yeah, this game is unlike any other imo. Definitely made me appreciate all of A&S's hard work. Glad to have you aboard, Agent Nightbreed!
    [​IMG]

13. Nightbreed

Nightbreed Active Agent

Thanks very much!
    And sorry about the multi-posts...my bad!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.