Game won't load on MAC Book Pro

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by GeekyD, Feb 28, 2017.

1. GeekyD

GeekyD Active Agent

Hi. I've been playing the alphas on my PC and they work fine (good work, by the way). I've not been able to get any of the alphas I've tried (.3 and .4) working on my Mac Book Pro.
    It's a fully up to date Mac:
    Mac OS 10.12.3
    Mac Book Pro 13" circa 2013 with a retina screen
    2.8GHz Core i7
    8GB of Ram

When I run the game it behaves as follows:
    1- Nite Team 4 Configuration loads
    2- I choose an appropriate res & quality (which doesn't change the outcome) and press Play!
    3- Hivemind network online appears correctly
    4- Alice and Smith logo replaces the Hivemind screen
    5- A&S log disappears and replaces with dark background and slowly spinning small pyramids
    6- Nothing else happens. Pyramids keep bouncing around and the login screen never appears

What I've tried:
    1. Restarting Mac
    2. Installing latest MacOS patches
    3. Various resolutions and qualities (but not exhaustive)

Of note, TBW works fine on this Mac.

Any ideas?
    Ta. David

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  2. GeekyD

GeekyD Active Agent

Sorry. Just seen this is essentially a duplicate of the 'Floating Triangles' thread - Sorry.
    I have no special firewalls. Just a Asus wifi router. My PC works fine, on the same network.
    I also tried running NT4 in Parallels (on the same Mac) and it works fine. Also TBW works fine, so there must be something more...

3. Anashel

Anashel Puppet Master Staff Member

Can you remove the client from the download folder and put it on your desktop and let me know if it works?

4. GeekyD

GeekyD Active Agent

I'm running it from the desktop already. I've never had it in my download folder. Downloaded the .Zip to desktop then extracted and ran it from there.

5. GeekyD

GeekyD Active Agent

Anyone got the alpha working on a MacBook Pro? I'm no further with this problem.

6. bladedraconis

bladedraconis Moderator

This probably will not be helpful at all but I have it working on my very old mac book pro and my latest one as well. I wish I knew how to fix the problem :(

7. Anashel

Hi GeekyD, I am running it on 10.12.3 (13-inch early 2015) and I am unable to reproduce the problem. I did try it on a couple of mac also at the office also. Out of curiosity, are you able to run The Black Watchmen on the same computer?

8. GeekyD

GeekyD Active Agent

Hi Anashel. Yes, The Black Watchmen works fine on the same computer (though I bought it via Steam).

I have also tried a different user account on the Mac, with the same result - just floating pyramids

9. Athene Noctua

Athene Noctua Active Agent

Perhaps if people could elaborate a little and list the version of MacOS (formerly OS X) they're using? Macs are z bit different architecturally to PCs and quite old Macs can run quite new MacOS versions. There's also a mid-2012 vintage MBP in the house, running El Capitan (10.11.6) but I've not tried it on there yet.

I'm attempting to run it on a new MBP running macOS Sierra (10.12.3). I see 'WELCOME TO HIVEMIND', then the A&S logo, and then this, forever:

Attached Files:

10. Athene Noctua

Oh there's a swirling triangles thread...? Feck! I sincerely apologise for not searching...

11. Athene Noctua

What version(s) of MacOS/OS X they running (if you don't know, Apple logo menu > About This Mac)? Thinking it would be helpful if MacOS versions were mentioned as it may help narrow down the cause of the issue.

12. Joris

Joris Active Agent

I don't have a mac so I'm not able to test this myself, but this may help:
    Windows has feature called compatibilty mode where windows emulates an older windows version. I expect mac to have a somewhat similar feature.
    This is the closest I got: https://support.apple.com/nl-nl/HT1730.

13. Athene Noctua

You might want to learn about Rosetta https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_(software). It had nothing to do with emulating older versions of MacOS and was discontinued with the introduction of OS X Lion (10.7.x). The current version of MacOS (formerly OS X) is Sierra (10.12.x).

14. Joris

Joris Active Agent

That explains why the article is no longer updated. But still, do you know if mac has such a feature?

15. GeekyD

GeekyD Active Agent

Since 0.5, this problem has gone away. 0.5 is working fine on my Mac Book Pro now.
    I'm a happy bunny.

Anashel likes this.
  16. Anashel

Awesome, 0.5 run on the latest version of Unity, so it was probably something to do with MacOS and Unity. Really glad we made this update! :)