Forum Issues/eccentricities

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Bats, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Bats

Bats Division 93: Covert Grammatical Ops Battalion

This can also serve as a general thread for forum problems and suggestions, but there are a couple specific things that've been bugging me about the forums (aside from "why doesn't everyone shower me with adoration, like all my posts, and jump to serve my slightest whim?"), and I'm curious if anyone else is running into the same problems (or if anyone else actually sees them as problems at all)...

Missing Thread Titles
    This is mostly a convenience issue - when reading a thread (public or private) the only place the title appears is on browser tab - it's not shown anywhere within the page text itself. If I'm running with a lot of tabs open or using pinned tabs, that means I have to actually mouseover the tab for the tooltip to see what it is I'm reading. Could this be added either to the breadcrumbs or at the top of the thread?

Undone by Undue Undo Oddities
    This one I find far more frustrating, but that may just be because I'm terribly indecisive and constantly going back to edit what I wrote earlier (does anyone else do this, or am I just a freak?). The undo function in the forums is... problematic. It's been bugging me since the beginning, but for a long time I wasn't actually sure just what it was doing.

While in most editors Ctrl-Z will undo the the last character changed, or word, or the last X characters, or even everything from the past second, as best I can tell the forum editor makes the odd choice of undoing everything up to the last carriage return. When typing, this is possible to work with (or work around - just use delete)... but when going back and editing, it's a nightmare.

As an example, type in a few paragraphs (without hitting enter after the final one), then go back and rewrite a sentence or two in each, fix a few spelling mistakes, and then delete an image (after all, you can only have two... can we have that limit raised a bit?). Now notice that, oops, you were sloppy and took out a couple lines of text along with it, so you'll have to hit undo... And it restores the picture and deleted text as expected... and undoes the entire series of edits and the deletes the final paragraph you'd typed. Awkward.

-Bats

2 people like this.
  2. Anashel

Anashel Puppet Master Staff Member

Freeeeed!!!! =)

3. Bats

Bats Division 93: Covert Grammatical Ops Battalion

I haven't figured out how to repro it yet, but earlier I was also running into some combination of circumstances that caused a ^X cut to delete everything from the beginning of the selection to the end of the message, while only the selected portion ended up in the clipboard. I'll follow up if I can get it to happen reliably.

-Bats

4. Forgues

Forgues Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Bats! Do not hesitate to post if there is other issues, we'll have a look at all of this and deploy a batch of updates soon, including visual and functional fixes.

4 people like this.
  5. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

Not a huge deal, but is there a way to turn off the orange "unread messages" notification for individual sub forums? I can't deal with the notice but in probably not going to read the Japanese forum at all ;(

3 people like this.
  6. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Active Agent

For some reason the website doesn't allow me to post in this thread. It doesn't matter what it type, it just doesn't post it. All the other threads work fine, it's just this one. :confused:

Edit: Logged out and then logged in again, but that didn't change anything.

Edit 2: I am also able to post on other posts in General, but just not this one.

7. Santiak

Santiak MIA

I belive this is an issue with adblocker, try turning it off (if you have it installed) and see if you can post then. :)

8. TheChosenOne

Worked, thanks! ;)

9. Zerosh

Zerosh Sleeper Agent

Yup, same here.

10. Santiak

Santiak MIA

Just to add a few to the list:
    • Megalomanic Link applier: From time to time, I find that the link applying tool will link the entire paragraph - from the highlighted text to the last time one .. pressed enter (the term escapes me at the moment). It seems this often occurs if you link a piece of text that has been wrapped to the next line. In addition, if you highlight the very last bit you wrote, before writing on, it will sometimes continue linking the text you write afterwards.
      For now, the best workaround I've found is to seperate the text you want to link (press enter just before it), apply the link, and move it back. In the cases where the link function is applied to subsequent text you write, the best bet is to continue writing a bit, and then go back and then apply the link to appropriate text.
      • Likewise, if you attempt to remove the link from part of a sentence that was linked by mistake, it will often remove the link from the entire sentence, rather than just the highlighted section of that sentence.
        Can't find a workaround other than reapplying the link to the appropriate text.

• Megalomanic text formatting: Much like above, if you, for example, underline something, the effect will sometimes show as not being applied as you resume to write, but as soon as you start writing, it will be re-applied.
      You can either opt to write a bit ahead and then go back and format the text you want underlined (for example), or you can write on and let it apply the formatting, and then go back and remove the formatting from the wrongfully formatted text.

11. Anashel

To me it happened only when I try to link a long link, and not a text. Especially at the end of a paragraph. I don't know it's a pattern or not.

12. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

On the mobile layout of the forums, I don't have easy access to the alerts. The pop up in the corner but from the front page, the only option is the profile menu button.

13. Santiak

Santiak MIA

Are you by any chance browsing while holding the phone vertically? The resizing on mine compacts the Alerts tab in under the profiles tab when vertical, but if I hold it horizontally the Alert tab pops out for easy use.

14. TheChosenOne

Yeah same thing here. If I flip it I get easy access to the alerts. ;)

15. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

I usually turn auto flip of because it's super irritating, but I'll do that now I guess.

16. Catalyst

Catalyst Gold Member

On my Nexus 5 using the Comic Book Theme I have no problem accessing the alerts menu.

17. Anashel

@Catalyst Did you meant that saw some bug with the other theme on mobile? Or just that you use the Comic Book theme?

18. Catalyst

Catalyst Gold Member

@Anashel I meant that I was not experiencing the bugs @nikel was, and that I am using the Comic Book Theme.

3 people like this.
  19. Santiak

Santiak MIA

Thread titles: They are quite insistent when it comes to capitalization. :)
    Not Only In Regards To The Dreaded "Capitalize Every First Letter Of Every Word"-Disease, but also in terms of "Faac", or "Failure to Apply Acronyms Correctly" ;)

2 people like this.
  20. Catalyst

Catalyst Gold Member

I thought titles required capitalization of most words. :p