Early Adopter - In Need Of Your Opinions

Discussion in 'General' started by Anashel, Jun 20, 2014.

?

Should we invite the 3k newsletter

Poll closed Jun 27, 2014.
  1. NO!

63.0%
  2. Yes...

37.0%
  1. Anashel

Anashel Puppet Master Staff Member

If you are here it mean that you have either found the forums before the announcement (grats) or that you opt-in to a shady research clinic... (really? You trusted them with your email?!?)

This weekend, if we feel we have settle and the beta is solid enough, we will send an invitation to all member of our mailing list. (close to 3k) I am hesitant since for now the top quality made it's way and maybe we just want to contant the 3k mailing when kickstarter is on. So, should we open the door to everyone?

We also going to need help with moderation and forums rules, so if any of you dream of becoming a forums moderator, and have the credential to to so (master in diplomacy, troll detection and bipolar disorder management), please give us your sales pitch and apply right now in this thread!

The pitch who gather the most "likes" will get moderation powers... but beware: with great power come yeah yeah, just kiss the girl already....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2014
    5 people like this.
  2. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

In reality, most of the 3k were of the lurker type. The IRC has been the most active method of communicating between all of us and I think many of us shunned the MMORPG forums to some extent. I'm sure that some will come over and be upset about one thing or another, but they'll run out of ammunition and energy before long. If even 50% of pledgers come over, then we're over halfway to the goal, and in my opinion, the pros outweigh the cons.

As far as moderation goes, I work with with 5-18 year olds and I spend time I'm not working with children on the internet. There's nothing I haven't seen before. But I will be going back to the EU in September, so not sure if that's what you're looking for.

8 people like this.
  3. Azylach

Azylach Active Agent

Master troll reporting in, takes one to know one right? Would have loved to help with moderation but I no longer have the copious amounts of free time I had last year, though I have had some experience before and wouldn't mind helping in my free time until full-time mods are found.

4. Vomher

Vomher Senior Agent

I didn't shun the MMORPG forums, however I was inactive on IRC and forums during a period of time. IRC is too hard when you're on the go.

As for moderation, if you really need some people during the summer while this starts off, all I can say is that I have a lot of time for the next three months to lurk about and check threads. Afterwards I resume the quest for my degree. I would, however, love to help out when able! I volunteer as aid and tribute. Come, throw me to the masses.

5. Santiak

Santiak MIA

First bits about the vote, second bit's about Forum moderator:
    I voted "NO!", and in retrospect, I'm a bit unsure if that was the right choice or not, but I'm leaning towards being a bit patient.

The primary reason for this, is Crowdtilt. If this issue is still ongoing then, before the kickstarter is starting, people might get the same impression as if the kickstarter was to start while the refunds still hadn't gone out - regardless of the fact that it's entirely Crowdtilts fault, as we all know.

Waiting a bit won't hurt, I feel. Those that are involved enough to not care about Crowdtilt's half-arsedness are likely to find their way here, and those who do not, are in the risk group for those who might jump ship if they start sensing somethings off on the funding front.

That being said, I'm not adamently opposed to sending out mails, I just consider the risk of people getting the wrong impression by moving forward too fast to be a bit too prominent, but not overshadowing.

Forum Moderator:
    Well then. I guess I'm not stepping out of the shadows at this point, so I won't bother too much with the introductions, other than the most relevant ones:
    - I've never moderated a forum officially before.
    - I very, very rarely lose my temper (see MMORPG.com forums ;S)
    - I tend to spend quite a bit of time (robot and all, girlfriend still confused as to whether or not my interest is a job or a game)

Despite my inexperience as an official moderator, I'm very much aware of my own activity here - to the point it's starting to embaress me, actually - and felt that I might as well try to put that activity to good use.
    That of course leaves a very big "Are you a megalomaniacal arse when you come into power" question-mark hanging, and to that, I can only say; I don't think so.
    In the past I've lead a Tribes 2 14v14 clan (was 16 at the time, I think?), as well as an EVE-Online corporation, but never felt at home at the rudder, so to speak. I was happier as the proverbial Field Chaplain offering advice and mediating disputes; which was where I'd much rather be - on the sideline as opposed as one of either party.

I'm not that fond of confrontation, but primarily if I'm either at the giving or recieving end of it all. That dislike of confrontation, however, translates to me not liking seing others having a confrontation either, so I'll usually step in and try to either mediate, or if I feel there's a strong case towards one side, help that party out.
    That's not to say that someone else sharing my opinion automatically equates to me being hostile towards the party that does not agree with me - but whether or not that's true is something only you as the observer can say, as I'm bound by my subjective views - the very reason why I strive not to be hostile towards anyone, regardless of how wrong I feel they are.

On a more personal level, I study Japanese Area Studies - which I've just completed my Bachelor in - and will be taking my 1 year elective course in Cognitive Semiotics after summer, as I did a brief course on Cognition and Language, and thought the whole "how we understand our surroundings and each other" bit was fascinating - and something close to my world-view - but that's perhaps getting a bit too esoteric for an application.

On a final note, as you can see, I tend to write more than most want to read, and that's perhaps my strongest and weakest point as a forum user (depending on who's doing the reading).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2014
    12 people like this.
  6. Azylach

Azylach Active Agent

I totally didn't read that Santiak but you're getting a like from me because as far as I can remember you've always been around to help and keep newcomers updated.

7. Vorticity

Vorticity Senior Agent

If, by the time the forum has settled and the beta is sold enough as you say, there is also some content on the forum to entertain the people visiting and at least one moderator has been assigned then I would say: open the gates!

One thing I would like to see is a table of what items/features are available with check marks for the subscription/member upgrades that include those items. I think this will be clearer than adding more text. Maybe also some explanation of how this relates to what can be expected on kickstarter.

8. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

I want to echo the statement that you shouldn't invite the hoard before crowdtilt refunds. It can certainly create ill-will to see that you've moved onto the next step before the last one has completely finished.

9. Inanna

Inanna Active Agent

Mmm, i voted no. it's not that I don't want people to know that this is here, or that we're amazing. Rather it's that until the Crowdtilt thing gets cleared up I feel it a bit ill advised. Last thing a new forum needs is a whole bunch of shade that isn't able to be resolved.

And no I'm not moderating. I'm having a heck of a time as it is between trying to get the gamer guild here to look at this game and engineering school. Also I am too lazy.

10. thatangryviking

thatangryviking Viking Turkey | The Bot Slayer

There's a part of me, that wanted so much for that to end in... Well.. yes.. Yes. I do. ;)

Either which way...you got my like.

That being said, I would like to throw in my hat to give a hand as well, I work as an Senior IT Consultant and have many clients that I deal with on a daily bases through email / phone, and if there is anywhere I have to be diplomatic that would be it. and I'm even running on maybe 2 hours sleep right now.. so I'm already in ARG pre-game mode..

As for inviting the hoard, I echo the statements, with the let's wait..

7 people like this.
  11. Zerosh

Zerosh Sleeper Agent

As many of you said, I would wait a bit longer to lauch the 3k mails. As mentioned above (I think), the ones more engaged with this project are already here and to catch the attention of those others I would wait util we have something more mature: Kickstar On, Forums settled, etc.

As for moderating, my f*ing engineering degree doesn't grant me any spare time so I'm afraid I'm not suited, but I think there's a bunch of people around here very capable ;)

12. Bats

Bats Division 93: Covert Grammatical Ops Battalion

Oh, is that what I was signing up for? I thought sure it was the entry form for the "Dream Date With A Probably Plot-Related Research Assistant" drawing. Maybe that was a typo.

I voted 'no'. Like Santiak, I'm worried about the potential fallout from promoting a campaign on one platform while people are still waiting for refunds on another - if I were looking at it from outside, it's something that would tend to raise a red (well, maybe dark orange) flag for me. My bigger concern is that it only takes a couple people with suspicious minds, slow refunds, and big mouths to turn things hostile in a hurry - and that sort of damage is hard to repair. Somehow the posts reading "Oh, oops! I guess Crowdtilt was just a little slow. Sorry, my bad!" never propagates as fast or as far as the ones reading "HUMUN ECUASHUN R SCAMMERS!!!1!!1!"

I'm also inclined to think that, to maximize the impact, it would be better to have as much as possible ready to show when that first email goes out... and that everything should be ready and waiting for them to throw money at, while they're still in the throes of that initial rush of excitement.

I'm a disordered bipolar troll, who can occasionally detect diplomacy. Is that close enough?

I've also admin/mod/spam-hunted an assortment of mailing lists and forums (with an actually rather depressing lack of banhammering and gratuitous abuse of power, now that I think about it), have far too much time on my hands, and near-constant net access... So I figure I'm pretty well qualified to vote for Santiak.

-Bats
    (...and to feel just a little bit guilty about it, too. poor bastard.)

6 people like this.
  13. Bats

This is the real reason I voted no... But typing all that wordy stuff looked more impressive.

-Bats

14. Oneiropolos

Oneiropolos Active Agent

I agree with Inanna's reasoning on why to vote no for now. I was torn at just reading the question, but it does seem like something that those HERE will spread by word of mouth and slowly build, but until everything is cleared up, it does look more alarming like Bats said. I think going kickstarter is entirely the right way to manage it, but I'd wait for the water to clear up before inviting everyone into the pool. The algae is not nearly as bad as straight up swimming in a lake but that doesn't mean people are capable of dividing it that way in their heads. ESPECIALLY with certain companies causing a ton of controversy lately in how they're handling their games and hiding information from players. I think the gaming community as a whole is just very skeptical right now. To be fair, this isn't a bad thing, but all it takes is a little muttering for lots of misinformation to spread. If it can be cut off before it begins, all the better.

15. Vicarne

Vicarne Senior Agent

I voted yes because of the last failure in funding. I had planned on donating to the kickstarter even if I hadn't received my refund from the first attempt. This is just too good to pass up! However, delaying until refunds have been dispersed is probably the best thing to do.

16. Bats

As I read it (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, before I make too much of an ass of myself based on false assumptions), the kickstarter campaign is a given, and, regardless of this choice, is still going to start on... umm... whenever it is that it's going to start. The question is whether to go and announce all this to everyone now, or to wait on the big reveal until the kickstarter campaign is actually ready to... well... kick off.

*duck*

-Bats

17. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

Well, first part yes: kickstarter will happen. I originally interpreted it as 'Do we send an email to everyone or just launch when we're ready and let them find it on their own.' I may have been mistaken there :p Consensus appears to be that once Crowdtilt is all sorted out, rules and moderation is established here and full details of the kickstarter are prepared/kickstarter launched, only then anashel should send an email to the 3k about the kickstarter.

18. Inanna

Inanna Active Agent

That is the basic consensus, yes. People also do not like to wait, and it's easier to convince people to make a Kickstarter donation to something when the Kickstarter is actually up. Alert them before that and they might just, well, forget.

2 people like this.
  19. Vicarne

Vicarne Senior Agent

You're right Bats. I hadn't read this thread before answering "yes" I was just explaining why I thought the email should go out. That's what I get for not reading ahead :p

20. Vismal

Vismal Gold Member

I voted no.
    Subjective versus objective views. Outlook from a 3rd person view to see the bigger picture. I see you mentioning crowdtilt refund wait times, and yes; however, I don't *feel* it to be yet time. Just *feeling* wise. Not yet. Establish solid foundations for the kickstarter.
    The only other side of the medal that irks me is that Lore/RP wise, having agents get in before the kickstarter is marginally (ie; slightly, don't know if it fits here) more exciting than joining from the kickstarter...right? Secret Society you joined before the mainstream secret agents? I'm not sure how to word it well. Bah, just understand that I feel emails should go out before the kickstarter, but after the crowdtilt refund/establishing solid base for welcoming sandbox.
    As for moderation, I am a horrible power hungry fascist. My rule would be terrible and absolute. Therefore, I am not a good candidate :p .