Deadbolt [sandbox]

Discussion in 'Fan & Sandbox Missions' started by Stigmata, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Stigmata

Stigmata Senior Agent

MISSION FOR: ALL AGENTS
    MISSION ID: MTD3Y91 - CODENAME: DEADBOLT
    AREA OF OPERATIONS: Worldwide

BACKGROUND

There have been a string of robberies, 12 to be exact - High security banks, world class jewelers and jewelry stores. All victims at the scene (including security personnel) report a mental haziness with physical paralysis. They described a dreaming state in which they could see some of what was happening but could not move. A phenomenon which seems to be much like sleep paralysis.

One victim did not seem to suffer from this paralysis and was able to give law enforcement at the scene an official statement. Upon reviewing the statement it seems that this individual gave law enforcement officials a fake identity.

ACTION REQUIRED

Find out the true identity of this informant and gather as much information as you can about the robberies.

NOTES

We suspect that agents taking this mission should have a background in the occult/paranormal and an aptitude for history.

21 people like this.
  2. Stigmata

Stigmata Senior Agent

Awesome! One more! Im excited to get started on this one...

3. Stigmata

Stigmata Senior Agent

I have altered this slightly to simplify it. Anyone stuck should re-try certain steps.

4. dylanamite

dylanamite Moderator

EDIT: I just solved it :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2015
  5. Misslemike

Misslemike Active Agent

Well, I'm completely lost.
    Did a bit of digging into Helena Blavatsky, the Theosophical Society, Annie Besant and what not and I still couldn't figure out who the witness is. I have the string aWlpc3NoZXI= as well, but no idea where it goes. Tried Pastebin and various other sites of that kind. Also looked into light emitting relics that relate to sleep paralysis, but didn't get much.
    Could I get some hints?

EDIT: Figured out the relic, but still need to work out who the informant is. Any clues?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2016
  6. Drakhan

Drakhan Senior Agent

I'm stuck here, too.

This may be a technical glitch or photomanipulation fail on my part. I get a much different result with the photos in Photoshop than I do in Gimp ... but neither result actually gives me anything useful. In gimp, I see yellow shapes that almost seem to be numbers in letters. In Photoshop, I don't even get that using the same technique.

7. Misslemike

Misslemike Active Agent

Which portion of the mission are you having trouble with?
    As I recall, there was no need for photo manipulation in the second or third parts. Unless you are attempting to find the informant's identity with photo manipulation, I would dare say you have pursued the wrong path. In the case that you are indeed using it to find the informant's identity, I sadly cannot assist, for I myself haven't found that out yet.

8. Drakhan

Drakhan Senior Agent

I'm having trouble with both parts. :>

I thought of several obvious answers for the item but none work and I have no clue for the person's name. I was mainly wondering if I was wasting my time with the photo analysis since there seemed to be something there but couldn't manipulate it into anything meaningful. I wasn't sure if I was chasing shadows or if my skills just weren't up to the task.

9. codex-13

codex-13 Senior Agent

If I recall correctly...

Doesn't the = at the end of an encrypted string indicate that it is encrypted a certain way? Try plugging the string into asciitohex and other decryptors to see if anything pops up.

10. Misslemike

Misslemike Active Agent

The item is a relic that is essentially purposefully designed for thieves to use. Multiple can exist at any time. As for the string, I plugged it into base 64 and it gave iiissher. No clue what to do with it now. Tried plugging it into an anagram solver and got a few interesting results that didn't lead anywhere.

11. Sanner

Sanner Active Agent

Stucked on 1st two. Any clues?

12. zaelong

zaelong Moderator

I really dont know what im supposed to do here;
    i got the base64 thingie (whoever thought using that font for using this encryption deserves to burn in hell) but im still clueless as to what to do with it.
    i dont think i can actually find something in the images and im not even sure what im supposed to look for;
    apparantly im asked for a name or whatever gives her the immunity (those are two entirely different things?)
    and the other mission apparantly refers to files i should already have...
    likely to be hidden behind some encryption, which i dont yet have access to...

13. Misslemike

Misslemike Active Agent

The other mission doesn't require any locked files. It's interesting because I completely stumbled upon the answer by accident.
    After all, there aren't all that many relics designed specifically for thieves and crooks.
    Still clueless about the Jane Woe part though.

14. Treppengeist

Treppengeist Active Agent

Also stuck on the first two parts.
    Got the iiissher thing, no idea what to do with it. Also, adjusted brightness and contrast on the camera images, I see the dude has got...a glowing ring on his finger.
    Well...now what. :confused:

15. zaelong

zaelong Moderator

@Treppengeist its not what you got,
    its actually "imissher", the font makes it very hard to distinguish a '1' from a 'l', so its very easy to mess that up...
    but i still dont know what to do with this intel yet

16. Treppengeist

Treppengeist Active Agent

Maybe, just maybe...
    imissher refers to the person's sister (the witness statement letter mentions "all I can think about is my sister")
    ?
    Also, another idea, not sure if relevant:
    A quick wiki on H. Blavatsky reveals her birth name to be Helena Petrovna Von Hahn... The "von Hahn" sounds familiar, doesn't it?
    However, this still doesn't fit the 4-2-2-8-3 answer pattern...

17. codex-13

codex-13 Senior Agent

Combine that information.

18. codex-13

codex-13 Senior Agent

For people stuck on Jane Woe:
    The b64 decdes to 'imissher'
    The false identity given is H Blavatsky
    Her sister was Vera Petrovna
    Go back to the b64-- note that's an email address.
    You have to send an email.

Aaaand I just realized this mission is broken. Damn.

19. zaelong

zaelong Moderator

i guess this is still broken?