Day #4

Discussion in 'Early Access' started by Anashel, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Anashel

Anashel Puppet Master Staff Member

Hi everyone!

Password: tbw-10

2. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

My update is queued, downloading now!

2 people like this.
  3. Konmael

Konmael Senior Agent

4. Konmael

Konmael Senior Agent

Part 1 completed. Really easy. Paint help a lot :)

2 people like this.
  5. Sonne

Sonne Division-79

Steam client was running in background while in another online game (Entropia). I am able to log into 5.04 right away with no difficulty. Apparently Steam pushes the update when I'm not looking?
    Anyway, on my 1.5Mb connect, I still get stutter but it is much improved. Stutter began at 36 seconds and extended duration of the video from 44 to 57 seconds.

2 people like this.
  6. Konmael

Konmael Senior Agent

Part 2 completed. Easy too.

2 people like this.
  7. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

I really like how the reading is sort of "off to the side" on this one, exposition, but not mandatory. While those of us here know about the significance of BDNF, I think it's a great introduction, such that when it appears in the future, new players will recognize but not really know much about it.

2 people like this.
  8. Konmael

Konmael Senior Agent

I do not have a problem with the videos now . This is good!
    Regarding the response of the second part of the mission, I think it should be accepted even if the player writes "#" before writing the ID.
    The instructions are : "Retrieve the photo ID"
    All photos ID included in the Black Watchmen records begin with "#" , as was evident during the Previous mission.
    The error was probably for me : I did not count the number of characters to write.

Well, I quibble . This mission is very successful : faster, easier , it introduces Agent to using other tools.

4 people like this.
  9. Sonne

Sonne Division-79

I agree with Konmael. Does the answer verifier allow for [containing] matches? That would fix most problems with mission 3 and Konmael's point here.
    Here I was all worried I'd be needing a lot of caffeine tonight. This was quite easy and might as well be a training introduction to using tools not provided by the agency.
    But as Nikel points out, this begins a story arc.
    BTW, the wheatfield in the video, I may need a second look at that crop circle.

2 people like this.
  10. Tyryt

Tyryt Senior Agent

Finished off, and it was fairly easy (but I would expect it to be for a recruit level mission). On this one, since it is still kind of a "training" mission, you may want to include a note about using an image editor, maybe put a link to GIMP or some other tool? (I used Photoshop as I find it easier than Paint) Granted, with these none of that would really be required, you could eyeball it, but just a thought.

2 people like this.
  11. Sonne

Sonne Division-79

I checked briefing videos for Missions 2 & 3, they are much improved as well, completing probably 90% before beginning to stutter.

12. kelbris

kelbris Senior Agent

Definitely an improvement on the mission videos, no stuttering at all.

13. kelbris

kelbris Senior Agent

I did notice one strange thing with the steam update, the size said 3.4MB however it said it was still downloading after it was at the 3.4MB mark. Not sure if it is meant to do that or not.

2 people like this.
  14. kelbris

kelbris Senior Agent

Well, I just finished mission 4. I found the mission easier using paint then GIMP, a bit easier to find things but everyone has their own tastes. I must say that I loved Morpho and it is a shame to see them go, but who knows? We may see them again for what they really are (I mean torture...seriously?)

2 people like this.
  15. Rohva

Rohva Gold Member

Video is excellent! I no longer have any video stuttering at all while running client in a remote VM using Fastest mode, whereas before it was unlistenable. This works even with the music and sound effects running. Fantastic mode still has some stuttering, but even that is not too bad. Strangely, the game’s intro sequence with the exploding eye still stutters some even in Fastest mode, but just a bit, and I can live with that anyway. I would have thought that sequence was baked into the client.

I still encounter some minor dropouts and jump cuts in the briefing video like I do with most video things in RDP sessions, but this about the best quality as I have seen from a remote VM. It worked great connecting to the VM from my ASUS Transformer, which is what I actually plan to do at times. I may have sounded like a broken record with my previous posts about needing a way to run a client while going mobile, but now you guys have delivered. Thank you!

And if you ever move me on the map from Toronto back to Texas I won’t have anything to complain about at all (hint, hint)

Steam must have updated in the background, because I noticed nothing. It just seemed to have worked.

Steam streaming to my other computer is still excellent.

Will we need the Steam client to play the game? I ask because I had tried to use Litecam to capture what was happening in my game client in my remote VM so I could send it to you. To do this properly I needed to run TBW in my remote VM but Litecam on my local computer. Since I had purchased Litecam through Steam I could not do this. Steam would not let me log into both computers simultaneously. Any time I launched it on one computer it logged me out and killed any running Steam apps on the other computer.

2 people like this.
  16. Rohva

Rohva Gold Member

I used Paint.Net for this. I use GIMP when I want to do more serious graphics work, but I find Paint.Net much easier to use and prefer it whenever it is sufficient to do the job. GIMP does have the advantage of offering both Windows and Mac versions, so if you decide to provide a link to an external app, perhaps it may be the better choice for that reason.

I know there are some people who are looking for missions that require more graphics skills and less crypto skills. I think they would consider this on the level of a training mission but will definitely love that you are giving them something like this.

2 people like this.
  17. Maurna

Maurna Gold Member

Heya,

Video, no stuttering for me! Sidenote: If I replay the mission, there's no way to tell it NOT to load the video.

I like the mission, I also used paint as it is, for me, quick and easy to select and click drag. My accuracy took a huge hit when I typoed the first answer (even though I knew it!, teach me to slow down before clicking yes) and then second, I realigned sections in the wrong order and got one of those, "well maybe?" And then I reloaded, realigned in a different order and tada!

Sidenote: Did replay the mission, 100% accuracy, no overall accuracy gain.

All in all I like it but I agree that it did feel like a training mission as it introduces a new skill to the toolbox but it's not a bad way to start off a storyline.

2 people like this.
  18. kelbris

kelbris Senior Agent

Don't worry about it adding new stuff, I have seen other ARG games that do a similar thing part-way through the story. In Memoriam for instance.

2 people like this.
  19. Eternimus

Eternimus Gold Member

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party today, had a few things to do. As for the puzzle, it was quick and simple. I never had a video issue before and it's still just as flawless. Although since I just fired up paint and did my thing, it brought another memory to mind...

I don't suppose any of you played an old game called JD Spy? It was kind of like this, but from a decade or two ago. Every time you loaded it there was a scripted game crash. And if you went through the crash info there was a message broken up in two character sections that told you how to run the game. There was a whole story, lots of puzzles, even scripted sequences where you were in a chat window talking to other "agents" or being taunted by them or the enemy.

You used old telnet commands, it even had a built in fake email server. You had to go through fake websites, even reading the source code. One of the steps was a picture file of an email recovered. You simply opened it in paint and flood filled the screen with black. It had certain parts of the letter like one point value off the color for the rest of the picture that gave another message. I loved that game when I was a kid. And the more of this I play the more it reminds me of JD Spy.

2 people like this.
  20. Zargh

Zargh Moderator

Hi all.

Due to the 50th anniversary of my mothers hospital event (grmlbfx!) i was not able to do my job here...apologize...grml
    So i did it now, must say, everything is working fine and smooth, no problems to report. Good work, Divisons!

Only one thing: If you start the game with the created desktop icon you won't get an update. Only after starting the steam client it says there is an update in the queue. But that was small and fast done, to Version 5.04 staging.

Greetings

2 people like this.