Creators Or Mods - Not Friendly For New Players

Discussion in 'General' started by fijibound, Jul 4, 2016.

1. fijibound

fijibound New Agent

So I'm a new player. This game is on sale on Steam so new players should be expected.

I'm stuck and I feel like people joining now who didn't know about this game previously are just left behind to rot. I want to collaborate but I can't, and I also can't ask senior players, because 'the group has been dissolved.'

Yes I can go on the IRC chat but I'm talking to people a wehole season ahead of me who take an age to respond in a normal chat and are helping me look at something a little differently but this really isn't enough.

There is so much I know I haven't seen and what I really need is people like me who are coming at this fresh but have a different perspective to me and who I can work with toward an end goal. But these people are not available to me.

Don't you think that some kind of warning on the Steam page that this is the experience we will face would be appropriate before we waste our money for an advertised experience which we cannot actually partake in?

2. Anashel

Anashel Puppet Master Staff Member

Hi Agent Fijibound!

Playing past season is indeed a different experience compare to a live season, but I don't consider it a total waste of money as you say. I am sorry you did not enjoy your experience, If you wish a refunds contact me and i'll help you out.

Some players like the challenge of doing the investigation alone, other play with friends, some use the forums to get help or use the walkthrough, it vary from one person to another. There is a lot of ressource to help and many veteran agent will be happy to give you a hand, starting with me!

3. Kakuzen

Kakuzen Gold Member

Sorry you feel that way, FijiBound. I am one of the more active players at the moment, and a lot of the other players would be glad to help you, but especially since we are between seasons, it will be way slower response-wise.
    I usually do a PM with one of the players in the IRC. @dylanamite is a good person to ask, as well as @themadhuman, @nikel, @Santiak, @codex-13, and many others! If you have any questions for me, feel free to PM me. I am currently running on coffee shop internet, so I have severely limited connection right now lol. Tuesday I will be available for a large stretch of the day, probably and hopefully I will be getting connected on Wednesday, though, so that'll be good!

5 people like this.
  4. fijibound

fijibound New Agent

Okay so first off to both, let me apologise for my original tone - I was feeling quite mislead, and as a result upset and angry at the time of posting.

I'm in a bit of a bind now. With a fresh day I've solved mission 3. However because of my concerns I'm considering whether to request a refund through Steam. I am still within the 14 days/less than 2 hours played. I've played 104 minutes, although had I known the Steam refund rules before today I would not have left the interface open in the background while searching online.

So this leaves me 15 minutes of playtime to decide from mission 4 if I want to keep the game. So as that is next to nothing (although I could probably get the mission brief and close the game in that time and commence web searches), I'd like to make the following points and ask some questions I feel are relevant for some feedback:

* So my big area of contention was no transparency on the Steam page that the collaboration aspect within game/with people on the same mission as me was no longer available. To me this working together/social aspect was a big pull as it's not common in most types of games.
    * I was also upset because I've always been interested in playing an ARG for a long time but this is the first time I've found one I thought would suit me and had available time for it.
    * I'd like to know how other aspects of the experience will be for somebody in my position. I'm specifically talking about receiving communications via e-mail and phone. I went into this expecting not to have any real world/in person missions as I knew the game was a year old and these types of things require organisation. However can I still expect communications by e-mail and phone for missions in the first episode?
    * Is there any talk with or thoughts by the devs of allowing the collaboration aspects again for new players? As stated originally the game is on sale on Steam as part of their summer sale, and in this scenario all games should expect some new players.
    * If I kept the game, enjoyed it, and later purchased episode 2, am I going to run into similar issues? So is collaboration still working there? If so, at what time can this be expected to get cut off?

Those are some initial things that spring to mind so if anybody has some thoughts in returns it could prove helpful in my decision.

5. Anashel

Hi Agent Fijibound!

Don't worry about steam refunds, take the time you need to see if you like the game and if you don't, you have my word I will give you a full refund if you want one.

Point taken. We don't have much control over when players are available at the same time to work together, but I do understand what you mean. I will try to update the steam page accordingly. I can tell you:
    • There is tons of resources for you to get help in the forums in the form of progressive hidden spoiler
    • There is a lot of people who are here and wish to help you have fun
    • There is almost always someone in the IRC that can give a hand
    • When new content and new missions are released, you won't have to complete all the 30 missions of Season 1, or Season 2, in order to jump right into the new content.
    As for collaborating with another player on missions for the first time, in real time, that I can't guarantee. In wow Vanilla, I used to wait 4 hours asking people to join me for a dungeon and this was a game with 10 mil subscribers. You may login one day and find someone right away that is at the same mission as you and will be able to progress with you. In the last couple of weeks, I can tell you that about 400 new people started playing mission 1 trough 3. I really want you to have a blast playing Black Watchmen, but I know I can't give you that kind of guarantee.

Past season still have all the aspect of the ARG components minus the live event. We price them 50% less (about 70% less during a sales) because we understand there is less novelty in replaying the ARG, but all the components, mini-game, hidden website and puzzle are there. There is still email and social media interactions with NPCs in both Season 1 and Season 2.

In an active season, you have a chance to get Orange (phone) and Yellow (mail) interaction during live event. The normal mission focus on interactions with email, website, chatbot, online investigation, etc...

Right now we are deploying a welcome campaign for all new player, inviting them to join the forums and share their progression with each other. We also are working to implement a welcome kit that will help you get trough your first 6 missions and point you where you could get help and resources in the community. In the meantime, you can introduce yourself on the IRC and in the welcome thread Go here.

Season 2 is also a completed season. If you enjoy season 1 the way it is right now, you will have a blast with season 2. Between seasons we have sandbox missions (mission created by the community) and we sometime have surprise live event. (Halloween 2015 for example)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2016
    4 people like this.
  6. Castilion

Castilion Senior Agent

Im still mad I didnt get in on the Halloween event :/

4 people like this.
  7. codex-13

codex-13 Senior Agent

@Anashel and other devs, I suggested this in chat at one point but I don't think anyone was present. I think a 'matchmaking' thread in the 'welcome new recruits!' forum may be prudent. That way new players can buddy up with one or more other players who are just starting out, and get that team solving experience (while simultaneously building relationships with their fellow agents that will prove useful in upcoming live events).

@fijibound, if you are EVER stuck in the game, I use a bouncer to stay connected to the IRC and it pushes notifications to my phone/watch. So if you need help and you've been banging your head against the problem for a while, log onto IRC (the link is in my signature) and send me a message.

7 people like this.
  8. Anashel

Hey @codex-13 !

A matchmaking system is an awesome idea to replace the Call for help system. It could also point to the forums when people are not logged-in so they can catch-up when it's a good time. I really love the idea and it may not be that hard to integrate!

2 people like this.
  9. codex-13

codex-13 Senior Agent

@Anashel I didn't even think of integrating it in the client! You mean like possibly providing a way to contact other players who are currently on the same mission as the player seeking a match? That's clever indeed.

2 people like this.
  10. JantsoP

JantsoP Division 88 Manager

Not sure why to only point to forums? We have also IRC and if you post something to forums, you might still have to wait for the response.

11. codex-13

codex-13 Senior Agent

The forums are more static, as well as having the mission hints written up in them for season 1. More people monitor the forums while they're not actively involved in solving a puzzle than the IRC, I think.

2 people like this.
  12. mgelles

mgelles Senior Agent

[
    Hi,
    I know this is like a full month after you posted but I bought the game via the steam sale as well. I just completed mission 7 9now backtracking to find the hidden clues for the puzzle pieces) If you would like to collaborate(though I suspect your further than I am by now), let me know.

All: I'm noticing a few posts like this one similar to the one i posted in the in the intro thread last week. I have to agree that a matchmaking thread would be super helpful in helping us sync up. The Game is great and the threads with the puzzle hints are incredibly helpful, but working through them collaboratively is far more fun.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2016
    2 people like this.
  13. Zekh

Zekh Dimensionaut

When i'm in your situation, and i don't feel like asking for answers on the IRC or the clues given on the forums can't help me out, i do what i'd do in any other case, i ask around myself for help. People not linked with the game but that could give me a fresher view of my puzzle and possibly trigger an idea or suggest me leads i didn't think of. Don't stop at the first hinderances or this game will be indeed very painful to you, i wish you courage and determination ;)

14. TheGrigori

TheGrigori Senior Agent

Sorry to dig up an old post, but I thought I would add my two shekels in case a newbie came along and felt the same way as Agent Fijibound.

I am a full on hermit. I don't like to socialize in games, and I don't like to play with other people in games. I just don't. So the Blackwatchmen was the same for me at the beginning. I joined roughly around the end of Season 1 if not after Season 1 was done and all the Live Events over. I played the demo to see if I liked the game and it was a blast, so I bought the game.

Fast forward to the nightmare that was solving ghost stuff and I still didn't reach out to my fellow agents for help. I love the game for this so much. I can play the game at my pace, never feel like I'm being rushed, and I don't have to talk to people if I don't want to.

Then after the Almanac came out, I realized we have an impact on what happens to the story. We're not just players we are the story. We are the Blackwatchmen. The people here are always happy to help, and there are more than enough resources to help solve clues. It falls upon each and everyone one of us to reach out to our fellow Agents for that help.

As you say, there's always going to be an influx of new players coming in, but we aren't just a bunch of people playing a game. We're in this together. Reach out, find those people who are in the same situation as you. Whether a Senior Agent comes or a fresh recruit, either way there is always work that needs to be done. Either from new recruits or from Sandbox missions, or even discovering the secret missions.

No matter when you join, there will always be something to do.

</preaching>

9 people like this.