[confused] Unsure About Buying Stuffs...

Discussion in 'General' started by unMadeMan, Apr 8, 2015.

1. unMadeMan

unMadeMan Senior Agent

So with the "new" shop, im slightly confused.

http://www.blackwatchmen.com/product-category/virtual/
    Are the things in the link below in addition to the things you can buy above?
    http://forums.blackwatchmen.com/index.php?account/upgrades
    Some of the things you are buying seem to overlap.
    Like if I paid $125 for the Spec Ops package, I receive:
    Season 1 of The Black Watchmen, including access to the game client for 1 year and your chosen level of immersion, limited edition Div. 66 dog tags and a physical mystery puzzle by mail.
    But if I want to upgrade to Gold Member I have to pay $100, and I receive:
    Gold Member Virtual Pass to the Black Watchmen PARG that will grant you 1 year access to the Gold Member club including early release and private forum with the dev team.

So do I get 2 years of access? or...

Also @Anashel could there be a package like the Spec Ops one, but without the dog tags :) I already won the dog tags at PAX East, but that physical puzzle sounds super neat!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2015
  2. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

The Gold Member upgrade (and all other account upgrades through the forums) are only forum specific and do not affect your game at all. So if you want gold access, you will buy it separately from the one year game access, giving you season 1 and gold forum access for one year.

The first link also isn't working for me. 404, and the 'virtual shop' doesn't appear as a link from the shop page. They might be redoing descriptions now?

3. unMadeMan

unMadeMan Senior Agent

I fixed the links.

Ok, I guess my concern would be more with the subscriptions packages and De Vermis Mysteriis.
    Im absolutely interested in De Vermis Mysteriis, but Im also interested in Spec Ops subscription page (mostly the physical puzzle... ok, JUST the physical puzzle), but I don't want to buy both, that seems silly and redundant (no offence guys, I know the money helps the game etc, but... that's a lot of money)

4. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

It isn't exactly redundant but another way to support development. Access to the game will always be the most important aspect, and de vermis (Gold Access) provides "behind the curtain" insights into the production of the ARG. So far gold access has given reports on planned mechanics, pre-access to beta clients and previous of comic pages, none of which are really necessary to enjoy or play the game but certainly interesting for a certain subset of people to read.

I don't think you should feel pressure to pay for de vermiis, it is a pretty big sum of money. Maybe gold access will be available by some other method down the line? I think they should consider that.

2 people like this.
  5. Santiak

Santiak MIA

If it's just the Gold Access to the forums you're interested in, I believe there's also the "Gold Member" option?
    Can't check it as I've already bought one of them, which, for some reason, removes the other from view.

However, if memory serves, the "Gold Member" option gives you access to the same areas of the forum as the De Vermis Mysteriis pack, at a reduced cost due to it being subscription based (1 year for 100$, I believe), and the lack of some physical rewards.

Or to do the list-dance:

De Vermis Mysteriis -- 250$:
    - Lifetime Gold Member (Private sneak-peek sub-forum primarily)
    - Multipass (Was also available as an add-on during the KS campaign, and as a reward for some early backers during the MMORPG.com campaign)
    - Physical copy of First edition Comic (Was also available as an add-on during the KS campaign)
    - "Yellow Access" (unsure what this entails exactly, but if memory serves, it grants instant (not exclusive!) access to sub-sections that will be added to the forum later - needs confirmation though)

Gold Member -- 100$/year:
    - 1 year Gold Member

2 people like this.
  6. Bats

Bats Division 93: Covert Grammatical Ops Battalion

Silly, maybe. Expensive, definitely. Redundant, no.

The Gold & De Vermis account upgrades are selling something entirely different from the Spec Ops & other shop packages - they only provide forum upgrades (and, in the case of De Vermis, the multipass and comic) not game access, while the shop packages provide game access but not upgraded forum access.

Also worth noting, the "Level Yellow access" referred to in the De Vermis description is not the same as the Red/Orange/Yellow/Green clearance/immersion levels described on the Kickstarter page - it's the remnant of an entirely unrelated level system that just happened to use the same colors.

-Bats

2 people like this.
  7. unMadeMan

unMadeMan Senior Agent

@Anashel is there any way you guys could make a package like the Spec Ops one, but without the dog tags :) I already won the dog tags at PAX East, but that physical puzzle sounds super neat!

2 people like this.
  8. Bats

Bats Division 93: Covert Grammatical Ops Battalion

And I still don't have mine from the MMORPG.com campaign *pout*

There'd been some rather confusing discussions about this one, and whether it was the same comic as the Kickstarter add-on, a different comic, or a different version of the same comic... I never saw an answer that was entirely clear on the issue (sorry), although I can't see De Vermis memberships bringing in enough to fund the creation of an entirely separate comic)...

The Red/Orange/Yellow account upgrades, like "Active Agent" and "Senior Agent" (referenced in upgrades that've since been removed) were never clearly defined. I suspect the "Yellow Access" is just a legacy of that, and can probably be ignored... but it would be nice if it could be clarified.

-Bats

9. Khalm

Khalm Gold Member

Think I brought Red then De Vemeris somehow, so long ago I can't quite remember, didn't get a multipass for De Vemeris (yet) but did get one for my KS stuff. Confuses the hell out of me, but I do like the Gold forum, and I think I am due at least 2 copies of the comic book too :D

10. Anashel

Anashel Puppet Master Staff Member

Let me see what I can do. =)

11. Khalm

Khalm Gold Member

Ah but did the Pax East dog tags have the Agent name on them?

12. unMadeMan

unMadeMan Senior Agent

Touche...

However, my actual dog tags have my name on them, and I never wear those either haha

3 people like this.
  13. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

On the topic of "things included in the new passes," I note that the almanac and comic book .PDFs are not a part of the store but included in all kickstarter tiers. Was this an oversight or intended? I was sort of under the impression that the almanac would contain details required for missions, along the lines of the contact list in mission 2, in addition to story elements.

14. Anashel

Anashel Puppet Master Staff Member

The almanac have too many spoiler in it from behind the scene to be release before the end of Season 1. :(

2 people like this.
  15. unMadeMan

unMadeMan Senior Agent

@Anashel Any word on this?