Concerted Advertisement

Discussion in 'General' started by Santiak, Jul 9, 2014.

?

Should we help in the advertisement of TBW?

1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Santiak

Santiak MIA

Heyho folks,

While it is very unlikely that the funding will fall short this time around, I thought that the notion of us players helping with the advertisement of the game, as opposed to more conventional means, was an intriguing one.

As such, I thought it prudent to begin the discussion of whether or not we should - as well as how we should - help spread the word about TBW, before the fundraiser has already started, instead of during the fundraiser, risking that the whole process ends up being rushed.

For now I've kept the poll focused on whether or not people think we as players should make a concerted effort towards advertising TBW, or if its better to let HE handle that part, and have us spread the news the usual word-of-mouth way.

While that poll simmers to a result, I encourage you to voice any ideas you might have about how we can best help spread the (viral) word.

To reiterate some previous ideas, just to get the creative juices flowing;
    - Posters/business cards at Universities/Ingress portals
    - Obfuscated introductionary fARGs
    - Either by lawful advertisement around your city
    - Or by in-game events in other games (a previous example by Shahmeran in Second Life)​
    - User-made content (youtube videos, ala Arawn82's videos found here)

In any case, I personally feel that a concerted effort by us to spread the word, is well in line with the spirit of the game, as well as a good introduction for those who happen upon these efforts - making the whole introduction to the game a true "rabbit-hole" experience, so to say.

So, what's you take on it? :)

2. Vismal

Vismal Gold Member

I'll be printing a bunch of TBW logos and put the papers around a few spots in MTL. Maybe with a code underneath or QR.

9 people like this.
  3. Kle

Kle Senior Agent

I think that part of what has made the previous ARGs so successful is the sense of community. Having community produced advertising would help to create that and also show potential players that we are welcoming to new and old alike.

I would suggest that it may be worth setting up a section on the forum for potential adverts to be "moderated" (for want of a better word) to help ensure that they are good quality and also in keeping with the cannon/ timeline etc. It wouldn't neccaserily need to be HE doing the moderating but a space for people to share thier creations before unleashing them on the public.

5 people like this.
  4. Santiak

Santiak MIA

Ah, coolio. Still have the old one gaffa-taped onto a nearby lamp-post outside my house. ;)

Good point. :)

As for the "moderation" aspect; that was more or less my aim with this thread. By sharing and focusing on the ideas that people agree on - outside our own easier-to-manage projects, we can also more effectively co-operate on making something that is even more likely to attract people.
    Think of it as an attmept at "homing in on where to spend our combined effort now rather than mid-fundraising".

I'd say that any small personal project, as long as they adhere to that quite vital prerequesite that it is legal, is A-okay, but if someone's sitting with an idea thinking "This is awesome, but I have no idea how to do it :eek:", this would be the place to share that idea, and pool our efforts (as we so often do), and go a bit insane in the process (as is the norm). ;)

5. Ugly

Ugly Senior Agent

Don't see how it could hurt, more people that know about it the better. Haven't played Ingress for a long time, but seems like advertising around Ingress portals would give exposure to what seems like a great target audience.

You have to create an account, but you can see portals on a map here: https://www.ingress.com/intel

Is there a Black Watchmen press package or high def logos hanging about somewhere? I was thinking putting a few of these about with the URL to the teaser or maybe something more tricksy... but judging by my uarg, maybe just the URL;)

http://www.buynfctags.com/nfc-tags/cards/custom-nfc-pvc-round-card-ntag213.html

6. Anashel

Anashel Puppet Master Staff Member

Yes, Div66 will assemble a community package with logo, propaganda material, etc...

11 people like this.
  7. thatangryviking

thatangryviking Viking Turkey | The Bot Slayer

Looking forward to this. :)

8. MochiInvasion

MochiInvasion Senior Agent

i like the idea of spreading the word personally, 'advertising' i guess - it feels like a community thing and i think between us we could come up with some good stuff!

that said, i'm fairly certain i still have the designs for the 'cards' i distributed before, i could post them up, and the b/w/r version i made of the large logo from the large image (reward from the last mission - i have it set as one of my backgrounds :p)? i have a con this weekend so i'll be handing out more if the opportunity strikes.

9. Asariel

Asariel Division-79

I think feedback on adverts is a very good idea. I would like to be able to get my hands on some stickers, for my car and my carry around items.

Since we are just throwing out ideas, what about a podcast, similar in tone to 'Welcome to Nightvale' ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014
  10. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

Please let me post. Oh thank god I have no idea what was wrong, but turning off adblock worked.

Anyways, I'll help out as much as I can, but I'm not a good salesman. I just can't put myself out there to advertise something as a player. So I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and help people as they come in.

11. VGG

VGG Executive Producer

Hey,

We will assemble a community kit for sure! We're thinking about
    - Logo
    - Stickers
    - Facebook and Twitter background/cover
    - Flyers...

Do you have any other ideas?

GG

5 people like this.
  12. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

If it could include a small introduction to the story that we could use to get people interested, I think that would be cool. I ended up on the ARG subreddit by accident yesterday, and somebody made a rant in response to a player trailhead about how the hook should be just a piece of story to make them want more.

5 people like this.
  13. Santiak

Santiak MIA

I agree that a small introduction might be preferable, but I also think we should be careful not to flood people with story.
    3 sentences of introductory text and then springle with a bit of mystery should be enough in my opinion;
    "> Global Rupture activity unprecedented.
    > Origins unkown. Purpose unkown.
    > Help us; before the unkown consumes us all.
    "
    To give a short - albeit bad - example from my sleep addled mind.

As for Ruke's puzzle, which is the one the person links to in their rant, I actually consider that a good trailhead to lure in new players. Had I fallen over it without being aware of the story so far, it would be just accessible enough that I'd love putting in the 2 - 10 minutes (depending on proficiency) to copy/paste the pictographs from the description into google translate, and rewrite them into their numerical translations.

From the looks of the persons post, and the ones on the youtube comment section ("Alien text", stopping after scanning the QR code), I'm not entirely sure how soon they gave up, because the very next step is a link to the background story of Division 66. But now I'm just getting defensive about Rukes puzzle, and somewhat off topic. ^^

In any case, going off the reddit rant, my personal preference would be "short trailhead -> story", as opposed to "short story -> trailhead", because the former feels more like diving into the proverbial rabbit hole, and the latter more like being given a demo. I do agree, however, that both have their merrits. :)

5 people like this.
  14. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

In my mind, the story bit would be like DaedaIus' intro mission's pastebin. A couple details with the promise of more. It raises questions, what is this group doing? What is a rupture site? And immediately there is a puzzle to be solved. It's short and to the point. Trailhead and introduction are one in the same. I'm not sure the decimal code that brings people to the pastebin is really necessary to hook people, but it serves a purpose in teaching people about decimal code to be used down the line.

Giving a blurb will also allow us to be unified in our advertising. 'What is the black watchmen? Let me tell you!' Instead of 'well it's like a... It's kinda a...' This kind of statement is also easy to utilize in a press release when the kick starter is released, sent off to all the major sites.

I don't agree entirely with that rant, but I wanted to point it out, because I agree with the last line: "Ease them into your tricks and puzzles. Make them want to work for the answer to that riddle. Then when they get it, they're even more hooked." In my opinion, it depends to whom you are advertising. In this case, on the ARG subreddit, people go there and find pages and pages of trailheads. The story is necessary to make this particular one stick out. When it comes to a random person on the street, maybe they'd be more interested in the puzzle first, story second. It depends on the person.

BUT, in that case, the puzzle has to be comparatively simple. I think that when we're at the level where we're trying to attract anyone who will pay for the game, accessibility should be a high priority. Not to the point where it would mislead someone about the game itself, but I'm having difficulty thinking of situations where the answer to "Is this too easy?" is yes. Somewhere higher than Gosseck Circle, to around Mission 4 minus 1 step, would be a perfect level to strive for I think.

And sorry if this is incoherent, I'm pretty tired and started writing it 4 hours ago.

15. Vismal

Vismal Gold Member

I feel Gosseck Circle would be great for start-up. As long as you write that the mission level is easy, that was if people yell that it's too easy, well...it *is* an easy mission lol.

2 people like this.
  16. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

I guess in retrospect Gosseck circle was only that easy because we had the context from the previous mission, the clues were presented in exactly the same way. I actually recommend to people when they say they're going to do the beta missions that they do it in the order 2 -> 1 -> 4 -> 3, never get feedback on that though :p

17. Santiak

Santiak MIA

I reckon this is the age old question in terms of advertisement; what reaches out to most people?

There are those who like to be lured into something - for lack of a better word. And there are those who like discovering something.
    I agree that for official, preview-esque advertisements, a coherent narrative is vital to not only ensnare the reader, but also to give an air of professionality; a very clear goal, albeit in a very unfamiliar envelope.
    Primarily because those who would be reading these official advertisements, or listening to a pitch, are expecting that kind of sales-pitch - which includes people browsing forums specifically targeted towards something. In other words, the "unfamiliar envelope" loses it's pull in an "unfamiliar envelope forum", because everyone's familiar with it; they're looking for interesting addresses.

*bludgeons that envelope metaphor a few more times for good measure before moving on*

In terms of getting the attention of the "Average Jane & Joe", however, the converse is true, I feel; they're looking at so many different titbits of story and narration, that the envelope it's written on is what gets lost in translation, but shouldn't.
    In those cases I feel that - much as is the case with DaedIus' missions audio number-sequence leading to the pastebin - a small, relatively easy mission is called for to lead into the narrative.
    It lures them in through the door before they have a chance of going "Oh, some super-hero thing?" - an oversimplification, of course, but one that people might easily arrive at in the 10 - 20 seconds they might spend looking at the flyer.

To put it in other terms;
    I can remember countless times I've stood at my Uni, browsing the plethora of flyers and posters plastered on the wall; but I can not remember a single one of them. I might remember a general theme; for example "summer jobs!", but I can't recall any specific job out of the myriad of posters there.

On the other hand, I can also remember countless times browsing the Steam store for new games to play. There's plenty of genres to flag, but even then, finding a story I might find somewhat interesting is - to be honest - quite labourious. Getting through all the "co-op! Multiplayer! Catch-phrase!" just to find out what it's about even more so.

Two sides of the same troublesome coin; one environment overloaded with information, and another overloaded with presentation.

I reckon my main point is, beyond the fact that I really like the sound of my mechanical keyboard, that I agree; narration is required, especially if we're targeting people already looking for unfamiliar envelopes (*grabs bat*), but if we're also targeting those unfamiliar with *tightens grip* unfamiliar enveloped, we should consider teasing them the game as well as the story, but as Nikel says, in a very short and concise manner.

Something that doesn't require careful listening, but something that will still feel like a discovery, albeit a very small one.

Summa summarum, aye, target the audience, with a mix of story and gameplay (missions), the ratio depending on the specific audience targeted. :)

2 people like this.
  18. thatangryviking

thatangryviking Viking Turkey | The Bot Slayer

I know the team is wicked busy on getting things in order for kickstarter and whatnots, any progress on the community kit ?

19. VGG

VGG Executive Producer

Hey Guys,
    Here are some of the propaganda kit. Download the kit here: http://bit.ly/1n7SE5L
    Including
    • Cover Social Media
    Other elements will follow in the coming weeks. Recruitment season begins!!!
    Also, if you had to describe the game / project in 5 sentences max, how would you do it?

13 people like this.
  20. Santiak

Santiak MIA

Oh my, nice kit - and with a few smalls snippets of new information, I see. ;)

This being my first venture into using propaganda kits, should we, for example, just plaster this over our Facebook profile? Use the banner and what not as our facebook/twitter banner, or should one go about it differently than that?

As for describing the game/project in 5 sentences:

Imagine a rubiks cube in one hand, and a video game in the other.
    Now take out all the puzzle and thinking required to play with the rubiks cube, and take out the interface required to play the game.

You now have a rubiks cube without a cube, and a videogame without an interface;
    Now, imagine the world is the cube, and you are the interface.
    Finally, imagine the whole world is now your puzzle to help solve, and the whole game is played through, by, and about, you.

6 people like this.