Anyone Able To Read Chinese?

Discussion in 'Division-66' started by left_sock, Jan 10, 2015.

1. left_sock

left_sock Senior Agent

Begun poking at an old thing again. Generic-brand netbook -- unknown origin, got it from a relative a couple years back. Sometimes the speakers hiss on startup. Don't think it's properly shielded, either. Cursor tends to jump around so it's a pain in the ass to use.

[​IMG]

It purports to run Windows CE. There's a lot of odd stuff going on with it, but one of the more interesting things is that there are a couple of really massive (in terms of scroll) .pdb files buried down in the filesystem.

They exist as walls of ascii gibberish until I set encoding to GB2312, then this happens.

[​IMG]

Small portion of the enormous wall of characters. Sorry about the quality, I couldn't get a clearer picture.
    Normally I'd just copypasta this stuff into a translator and see if I can get an accurate gist, but for hopefully understandable reasons, I'm reluctant to actually connect this thing to the internet, or any other machine I own. I joke about having no desire to be eaten by a bootleg shoggoth, but sometimes jokes are surprisingly accurate.

I'm also considering putting this on a flash drive and using it to delve the registry for interesting stuff, though that'll have to wait until I have a USB stick I'm ok with not using again.

I've developed kind of an affection for the thing and I like to call it the Notbook. Thoughts?

((OOC: This is a real computer that I own, under exactly the circumstances described. All of this is true. Yes, including the hissing speakers -- don't ask me what that's about... It seemed like a fun thing to make an IC post about, and I might have been encouraged by some no-good inhabitants of the IRC.))

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2015
    3 people like this.
  2. Bats

Bats Division 93: Covert Grammatical Ops Battalion

Those are its attempts to communicate.

Be thankful you can't understand it.

Yet.

-Bats

3 people like this.
  3. Vismal

Vismal Gold Member

I'm with Bats on that one. I do not speak/read Mandarin/Cantonese. I can officially not translate this and hold on to my sanity a little longer. :p (Also, probably not even running Windows...it runs on Widows Chaotic Evil edition.)

4. Kle

Kle Senior Agent

I can just about translate the first line (although not entirely I can't translate the square character).

I've managed to get "life for you" although it is debatable how accurate it is as it's Google Translate at work and my drawing skills are not amazing :p

5. Bats

Bats Division 93: Covert Grammatical Ops Battalion

Your first line "今生只为你" ("life just for you") and the second line "江青云一向讨厌雷拓。" ("Jiang Qingyun hated Leituo") got me to http://www.yqxs.com/data/book/5564/book5564_1.html - apparently we're looking at a Chinese romance novel by Xi Juan.

It does not, at first glance, appear to contain any shoggoths... but it's possible I just haven't read far enough.

-Bats

2 people like this.
  6. Kle

Kle Senior Agent

Now I am curious about the contents of the book...

7. left_sock

left_sock Senior Agent

That seems like a very odd thing to be in a pdb file.

I still haven't gotten around to getting a spare USB key to risk contaminating, but it was vaguely unsettling to learn that CE natively comes with neither registry editor nor task manager.

The other pdb file looks pretty similar -- numbers and all, although there's a #1 instead of a 1 and the text is different. Presumably it's another, different book.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
  8. Kle

Kle Senior Agent

Running the picture through my Google Translate App provided very odd results. Its the first time I've used an image translation. My last attempt was hand written into Google Translate. I'll post them all the same...

# 1 courage to Say I Love You (Cassia) the courage to love you (Cassia) Rubao hair, dress should not appear in the neutral sweet smile to the face of the man who still exudes a delicate fragrance --- ---- This, in the end is a kind of man ah? "The Queen by a friend that he was one hundred percent BL manga but ...... the best of the best man, but yeah a confession to her stunning beauty sportsman of all ages, although she was flattered She did not dare let myself wallow in the joy of "casual" for fear that this is just another thing just because of the sympathy generated seemed beyond her expectation "makeup emperor, there s -. D lid brilliant play hero to the rescue This elegant set that is not accustomed to "battered Princess" learn to fight evil ... turn to be brave Palace ---

9. left_sock

left_sock Senior Agent

Got the registry editor and task manager on a stick. Looks like the clock has bloomed since I last booted this thing up.

[​IMG]

Task manager won't work -- the Notbook hissed at me when I tried to run it. Apparently CE is real picky about software compatibility, and it doesn't look like anyone's written a task manager for 6.00 specifically, so so much for that. There's another one that might work and I'll try it later.

Registry editor works fine, though.

10. left_sock

left_sock Senior Agent

I sure do wonder what happens if the Notbook is brought to a site displaying strong signs of occult activity.

I have an opportunity to do this lined up at some unspecified point in the future.

11. papertiger

papertiger New Agent

This is another romance novel written by Jue Ming (the 决明 as in Chinese), title being "Calling up my courage to say I love you".
    The Google Translate is awful and doesn't make any sense.

Just too strange to see novel text in a PDB file. What a novel geek this programmer is... :)

12. thebunker0424

thebunker0424 New Agent

I can speak Chinese and can fully read and understand what the letter is saying, and let me tell you ...... I think it is pretty boring
    what kle translated is some what correct, but because of the the different grammar between English and Chinese so if use google translation it will come out ......a bit odd

I can still translate it for you if you still want to know this love letter is saying, let me know if you guy are still interested