AITDW Mission 8

Discussion in 'Missions Center' started by Andronimus, Dec 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Andronimus

Andronimus Active Agent

Mod message
    ---
    Please use this thread to discuss Mission 8 of the Alone in the Dark Web DLC. Feel free to post theories, hints, and nudges here, but please do not post the answer!
    Spoiler tags are your friend.
    Code:
    [spoiler]Spoiler tags are your friend.[/spoiler]
    This thread was originally scoped for Mission 8.2, but I expanded it to encompass all of Mission 8.
    ---

Realize not many may be this far along yet, but I have a question about AITDW Mission 8.2 -- I'm stuck at the very end and have been banging my head against this for a couple days now. Full spoiler up to the point I am in mission 8 below:

I'm at the part of the mission where you have to track the Crimson Library through its replication and it's on the Barbizonhotels.com website. I've already got the codebook from Wheeler, found the code on the Royal Suite, translated it, and noticed that the attached image is called "nevermore." The translated code is "find report at image author hidden name."

Nevermore immediately brings to mind Edgar Allan Poe, who was a fan of cryptography and hiding messages and names in his work, and I've spent several hours looking for every single message and name in every poem that he ever encoded; nothing works (I'm entering things at barbizonhotels.com/xxxxxx/ where the answer has 7 letters as that's the format shown on the initial link. I've tried names he hid in the acrostics, the names of the poems themselves, other stories, etc. etc.

There's also a possibility (though I thought this way less likely) that it's somehow referring to the actual story "Nevermore," which is some teen fiction written a few years ago. Didn't spend too much time exploring this possibility.

Anyone got a nudge as to what I'm missing here? Great DLC and would like to get it finished up and not sit here indefinitely! Thanks in advance.

-Andronimus

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2016
  2. LionOfComarre

LionOfComarre Senior Agent

Poe had a hidden name.

3. Wojteknology

Wojteknology Active Agent

I've been gone for quite some time and I'm playing catch up right now with AITDW. I am stuck on 8.3

I realize that all of the people on the list died in September of 2004 but past that I am lost. I initially thought that the Funeral NO.#7 on the wall had something to do with it but that didn't help at all either.

Any nudges and or hints would be greatly appreciated.

4. Joris

Joris Active Agent

you might wanna count how many people are on the list

Anashel likes this.
  5. kmls

kmls Active Agent

I'm having a strange problem. I have 100%-ed Missions 1-7, but mission 8 didn't unlock. I restarted my client and mission 7 was marked as 0% complete, so I clicked into it. Instead of the inconcessus link being
    kaitse
    , it is now . I was wondering if someone could confirm if that is the mission 8 link?

(Admittedly this might be a thematic fake-glitch, or a real glitch, I'm not sure.)

6. Jarobi

Jarobi Puppet Master Staff Member

That is the correct link for 7.1
    kaitse is the link for 6.1

7. osudvm17

osudvm17 Active Agent

I'm stuck on 8.3. I have the list from the hidden file, and
    I thought the next clue is 9/14/04, but not sure what to do next
    Any other nudges?

8. Joris

Joris Active Agent

the client gives 2 links to solve the mission, you need both

9. osudvm17

osudvm17 Active Agent

Sorry, I was off a bit on the last request.
    I have the date from the list of people.
    What other link? I have the archive code which gave me the list, but I don't see another link.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  10. Joris

Joris Active Agent

archive.blackwatchmen.com/

11. osudvm17

osudvm17 Active Agent

I saw that link, but I am still unable to make the connection.
    I have tried
    archive.blackwatchmen.com/ ,
    , am I on the right track or does the page just give the hint about the
    funeral
    and that's the track I should be following?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  12. Joris

Joris Active Agent

you have everything needed to complete the mission. Also, you might want to remove the numbers from your comment since people who read it would be able to skip a large part of the mission.

13. Grey Ronin

Grey Ronin Active Agent

Stuck on 8.2, right where Andronimus was in the OP...
    Was certain I had the right answer a dozen times, but, nothings clicking. We ARE talking about Poe, right? And the answer should be a 7 character extension to the www.barbizonhotels.com/ web address, right? Where am I going wrong here?

14. kmls

kmls Active Agent

If by
    'extension' you mean something after the '.com/', yes. Are you sure you know ALL of Poe's ...um... features? One is especially pertinent.

15. Grey Ronin

Grey Ronin Active Agent

*shrug* aaaand, which feature would that be...? I'm getting nowhere on this.

16. kmls

kmls Active Agent

I can't answer that question without spoiling things. Check the clue again and think about what might be directly related to
    the person & that particular work in question
    (as opposed to that person's works or life in general) that fits both halves of that clue
    (the image name, the text)

If that doesn't help:
    What might be a general term for an author's hidden name?

17. Arhoolie

Arhoolie Active Agent

I've tried several variants of
    9/14/2004
    as well as several events from that
    date
    in the
    archive search box
    and the
    URL
    . At this point, I feel like I've done most of the logical work to get this far, and this last step feels like trial-and-error. Got any more tips to put me over the finish line?

18. codex-13

codex-13 Archivist

don't worry about looking it up in the archives. what you need to find you'll find with google searches and wikipedia trawling.

19. Arhoolie

Arhoolie Active Agent

OK, time for a big spoiler thingie so I can try to understand this last bit for 8.3:

I went to the link, got the archive code, looked it up, found the list of names, discovered the common link, and the conspicuously missing date. At this point, I'm right where osudvm17 was a few posts up. The response to his post was to go to the 'other link', i.e. the archive page. I've already spent a bunch of time on the archive page, but now I'm hearing that I shouldn't look anything up the archives. I can do google searches and wikipedia trawling, as suggested, but I have no idea what to even search for. I have a date, and no context for it, so the options are exceptionally broad. I've searched the date, but nothing from that date stands out as worth pursuing.

Is there an actual logical next-step here, or just a large field of possibilities that I need to grind through? If it's the latter, can you narrow down the possibilities slightly?

20. Arhoolie

Arhoolie Active Agent

OK, found it. Sometimes these things are called ARGs for a reason. I had to use a reference mentioned in another hint and the IRC channel because I never found it on my own. Where is the
    funeral #7
    reference everyone talks about? They say it's
    on the back wall of the archive screen
    , but I'm not seeing it.