AITDW Mission 7

Discussion in 'Missions Center' started by codex-13, Dec 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. codex-13

codex-13 Archivist

Please use this thread to discuss Mission 7 of the Alone in the Dark Web DLC. Feel free to post theories, hints, and nudges here, but please do not post the answer!
    Spoiler tags are your friend.
    Code:
    [spoiler]Spoiler tags are your friend.[/spoiler]

Cevern likes this.
  2. Jimbo9

Jimbo9 Senior Agent

IMPORTANT: If you cannot solve 7.1
    please enable the third-party cookies for that site.
    Don't be like me.

Anashel likes this.
  3. Anashel

Anashel Puppet Master Staff Member

@Jimbo9 - I should indeed add a warning for that.

4. exibition

exibition Senior Agent

I think that referring to
    refresh
    is easier than mentioning
    cookies

5. zaelong

zaelong Division-79

oh.. i thought there already was someone who mentioned that...
    well, it is now :p

6. exibition

exibition Senior Agent

Another advice for 7.2: everything is provided is useful!

7. PRODIGY

PRODIGY New Agent

I'm stuck on 7.2, if someone could help me out that'd be fantastic.

I've found the password-protected archive file, but I'm still not quite sure how to find the password. I know that U+2020 is the Unicode character DAGGER, but when I try to find a connection between DAGGER and Cuba all I can find is a book called "Dagger In The Heart: American Policy Failures In Cuba," so given that and the method being "same as image" I've tried multiple times to use the scientific name for the Bald Eagle (which appears on the cover of "Dagger In The Heart") as the password but that doesn't seem to be working. Not sure where I've gone wrong here.

8. Jimbo9

Jimbo9 Senior Agent

Try to remember where you can see the exact same "dagger symbol". It has also another meaning, and quite often there are some numbers or place (like Cuba) following it.

PRODIGY likes this.
  9. exibition

exibition Senior Agent

The
    unicode character
    is a symbol. Try researching for what it is used, and associate the meaning with the other information you have
    (Cuba, the drawing)

PRODIGY likes this.
  10. PRODIGY

PRODIGY New Agent

I figured it out guys, thank ya kindly for your help. ^-^

11. osudvm17

osudvm17 Active Agent

What else is it used for?
    I was thinking annotation or footnote, but that's not working.

12. exibition

exibition Senior Agent

You are on the right track. What does it indicate?

13. osudvm17

osudvm17 Active Agent

Got it, thank you! Just went down the wrong rabbit hole for awhile!

14. kmls

kmls Active Agent

Any help with 7.2?
    So I got to the 2nd set of archive files, the one with instructions from Azuro. Since the footnote/annotation thing didn't work out super well for me, I tried other things relating to Cuba and 'death' (one of the more common alternative uses of the dagger). The names of the people associated with a Cuban memorial obelisk (alt. name for the dagger) did nothing. Famous dead Cubans? Also not a great help. Extinct or living Cuban parrots also seemed to be a dead end, even when I used their scientific names.

15. Jimbo9

Jimbo9 Senior Agent

You need to find an original artist of something...look at what you have at your disposal right now :)
    And regarding that "dead end", you might want to check again...

16. NomenLuni

NomenLuni Senior Agent

Totally stuck on the start of 7.2 for months now. I need a hint.

I've tried everything (every name, place or code) I can think of relating to Standard Chartered, Dormouse and UNECLAC. I've examined the image in GIMP, tried steganography programs, examining and extracting the watermark in the Axuro file. Nothing seems to work.

I really don't know what else I can do

17. zaelong

zaelong Division-79

interesting; you should be able to solve the first part with paint or GIMP
    i asume you tried to overlay the images?
    remember the languages azuro speaks

18. evamouse1

evamouse1 New Agent

OK, I am beating my head against the wall for the second part of 7.2 Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I figured out the call number that got me the parrot image and instructions from Azuro. I know the original artist's full name, but that takes me to an error page and I cannot get any relevant information there. I can't figure out the significance of the blue and yellow (tried all kinds of flags including going down a rabbit hole of nautical flags that spell things, very cool but irrelevant) I know the species of the parrot, and it's connection to Cuba, I know what a dagger can indicate (footnote, annotation, obelisk, death date), but I fear that without the info at that url I can't go forward. Why does entering the url with the full name (with and without middle name) get me nowhere? I must be doing something wrong but I sure can't figure out what.

19. Kestrel

Kestrel New Agent

Case matters, always.

20. evamouse1

evamouse1 New Agent

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Now to work on the password...