Agent-run Wiki

Discussion in 'General' started by Santiak, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Santiak

Santiak MIA

Heyho folks,

Thought this suggestion/offer by Bats was worth discussing, so figured I'd give it its own thread - as per request - and keep the previous one more or less on-topic. ;)

I opted to not do a lazy copy/paste like I did previously, as that gets a bit messy (sorry about that).

Basically, the discussion/offer is for an off-site, agent run TBW ARG wiki, and a search for people who might be willing to manage it.

For good measure, and so my paraphrasing doesn't end up proposing something else than what was intended (do correct me if I'm wrong on some accounts, Bats ;)), here's the original quote from the ARG Hub Discussion thread:

(No worries, have to do something to earn that fancy title ;))

6 people like this.
  2. Zerosh

Zerosh Sleeper Agent

I volunteer!
    I'm also kind of "back-end-ish", but I think I can lend a hand with the managing and the wiki-work in general. But, since my college duties doesn't grant me much spare time, it would be nice to have some minions coworkers :) *wink* *wink*

4 people like this.
  3. Gr3ylok

Gr3ylok Senior Agent

"For good measure, and so my paraphrasing"
    I do know all the words you used, I do understand what they mean...but as English isn't my first language I'd never think of using such words.
    Therefor I think you need to have a look at people's spelling before you assign said volunteers, just to keep make/keep it more "professional".

4. Kle

Kle Senior Agent

I would offer but my spelling is atrocious and even though I've been here for the ride I have to admit to huge chunks having passed me by. I doubt I would be a great deal of help other then to check over articles submitted by others for general style and content.

I love the idea though.

5. Santiak

Santiak MIA

I'm assuming that it doesn't have to be a one-agent show, so to speak, so spelling proficiency, grammatical aptitude, general sense of style, and so on, can be co-operated on. Even if a single person was eloquent, articulate and concise, they'd need at least one other pair of eyes to look things over, so don't let reservations about those skills hold you back. :)

Likewise, if you're interested, but feel you haven't got the encyclopedic knowledge to fill it all out (do keep in mind that what will become the main bulk of the wiki hasn't even come to pass yet), working on the wiki would eventually fill in the blanks - and as mentioned, more than one person could contribute/maintain.
    Add to that the fact that there's a possibility that each of us might experience different paths, on account of the whole possibility of a class-system approach to missions, by which we'd probably need multiple contributers maintaining it either way. :)

In other words, willingness is paramount, and ability will surely follow.

3 people like this.
  6. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Active Agent

I wouldn't mind being a minion and filling in the blanks. It's gonna be a very busy year for me, but I'll see what I can do. We should also talk to Crygaia about maybe using their pics from previous TBW ARGs that are no longer available or try to find our own.

4 people like this.
  7. Kle

Kle Senior Agent

I'd be happy to lend a hand then. If it helps people find their way I'm all up for helping.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014
    7 people like this.
  8. Anashel

Anashel Puppet Master Staff Member

I feel we (A&S) have a responsibility to safeguard the history of TSW ARG involving The Black Watchmen. In the upcoming weeks, we will put an official Wiki open to anyone who wish to participate and fill in the blanks. I will start from the template used for Qadhos. Many template where already created, like puzzles, characters, timeline, etc...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014
    7 people like this.
  9. Zerosh

Zerosh Sleeper Agent

Umm... templates, I like templates xD
    So... We have an official TBW wiki and everything :D

10. nikel

nikel Lab 1852 - Neurals

I'll help out when I can. Not sure of my future timetable though!

11. Kle

Kle Senior Agent

When it comes to character histories, some payers are going to appear in the comic and possibly in missions so what sort of character history would we be looking at? The one created by the player, the one created by A&S or the one that is perceived by other players?

And if anyone can potentially be part of a story what is to stop everyone putting their own character up there even if it hasn't actively been part of a mission or comic on the basis that it "may be in the future" or was present during mission one?

Or am I asking the wrong questions?

12. Vismal

Vismal Gold Member

Thinking it's all going to link up.
    Otherwise, we'll have alternate realities that we'll be dealing with (likely scenarios). It's not something that is anathema to The Black Watchmen; we probably have a division that handles inter-dimensional/inter-reality paradoxes.

2 people like this.
  13. Santiak

Santiak MIA

While I imagine the wiki would mostly be about the world around the Agents, not the Agents themselves, I agree it is not entirely out of the question that Agent histories could be part of it as well - but as I assume further down, those aspects of the game lore would be better suited for the RP forum, than the official wiki.

I imagine it would apply that, any player-created backstory about their agent, would have to fill some criteria.
    For example that they can't write a backstory that is in contradiction with the current canon of the game, assumes or expands the role of other characters (be it PC or NPC), and that it cannot impact the storyline directly.
    As such, they would be free to write what would essentially be backstory and side-stories to their characters, so long as the above criteria are adhered to.

As for the "official stories", the part that's not so much written by the agent themselves, but by how they participated in an event, and the possibility of players inserting themselves into the story although they never took part in it (which would be against the criteria mentioned above); it would have to be "policed" by other agents, and if it becomes a huge problem, those managing the wiki.

I imagine, then, that it would be a consortium of all 3 perceptions:
    How the player describes themselves (created by the player); back-story and side-story; non-impact on main story.
    How the player acts in the game ("created" by A&S); mainstory, 3rd person narration.
    And How the player interacts with others (percieved by other players)

Albeit the last point would not really have any place on a wiki, I imagine, and the first one quite unlikely to - they would fit more in under the RP section here on the forums. :)

14. unMadeMan

unMadeMan Senior Agent

@Anashel

You had previously (6+ months ago) mentioned A&S creating a wiki for The Black Watchmen (see below).

To my knowledge, this has not yet come to pass. Is there an update to this? Or even a possible ETA?

Agent unMadeMan
    Division-42
    Lovecraft Sector

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015
  15. Anashel

Anashel Puppet Master Staff Member

@unMadeMan Truth, I did say that. Let me talk to the team to see how we could get a wiki up and running.

6 people like this.
  16. Asariel

Asariel Division-79

Well, if nothing else, I can contribute a list of agents. I have creepily been writing them all in my book of madness. I would also very much like to be a part of this: still hoping for a Librarian class, this would be in line with my talents.

4 people like this.
  17. Mustafa Said

Mustafa Said Senior Agent

Just saying...I'd like to work in that division. Alternate realities....sounds fun. :)

Also, for a college student I've got quite a odd amount of free time. I don't mind contributing.

3 people like this.
  18. WarHound

WarHound New Agent

19. zaelong

zaelong Moderator

There used to be an official forum, but it got taken down after a year or so?