Agent-created Arg Tools

Discussion in 'General' started by Vicarne, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Vicarne

Vicarne Senior Agent

I'm curious if there is going to be a public API or SDK? I know that some of us have development experience and could generate some player made content that interacts with the agency servers. Is there a plan to make it available or will we rely solely on A&S?

5 people like this.
  2. Anashel

Anashel Puppet Master Staff Member

That is interesting. What kind of data or information would you like to be exposed that could help you out in an API? We could easly expose data in JSON so you could map out some interesting information outside the situation room.

3 people like this.
  3. Bats

Bats Division 93: Covert Grammatical Ops Battalion

Ooooo... *bashes repeatedly on the 'Like' button*

But I'd have to know an awful lot more about what the interface is actually going to be showing before knowing what data to expose. Except, well... all of it.

-Bats
    (and then a little more, too)

3 people like this.
  4. Anashel

Well we do have a lot of data. Couple of idea quickly:

User Level:
    • User activity (login, time spent, etc)
    • User location (we could limit it by city so no details information is reveal, like street address, etc)
    • User mission progression and status
    • User basic character info (Classes, mission done, "battle scars" - trophies, skills like apm, etc...)
    Puzzle Level:
    • Agent deploy
    • Agent active
    • Puzzle Stage
    • Puzzle Strength (when APM involved)
    World Level:
    • TBW Coverage area (based on number of situation room active)
    • Rupture site located
    • Rupture site activity level

I invite you to visit cartodb.com, some cool stuff could be made out of it. We could make an open data initiative at The Black Watchmen.
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  5. Vicarne

Vicarne Senior Agent

One thing that immediately comes to mind with cartodb is the location of all rupture sites with a color gradient on how recent they occurred. There could also be a distribution map of agent locations (by city) so we know which agents are closest to the site for field work.
    I had also envisioned an IM mode for agents in the field so that they could report into the situation room "live"

Just a few of my initial ideas.

6. Santiak

Santiak MIA

Great suggestions, Anashel. Hard to think of anything to add, but I'll give it a shot.

While I have no experience on the programming side of things, I assume an API could also be used to send notifications under certain circumstances?

Say, for example, when a new mission is activated, along with the requirements of said mission, such as distance from the agent to the target location and class - assuming there might be some class specific missions.

Other things I can think of, off the top of my head, could be things such as:

Agent Operation Range (User level): The area within which an Agent moves, both in terms of the user, but also in terms of other agents (adding some degree of deviation, or an option to set the deviation within a certain limit, or have it not show up for other agents at all -- tie in to clearence level?). Would be a superb way to allow two agents or more to possibly interact with each other, without actually knowing or meeting each other directly. And a grand way for Div66 to set up missions that would require the co-operation of them.
    Could possibly colour-code an area according to how active an Agent has been there - think EVE onlines starmap and the "Times visited" system display.

Agent Replay Engine Activations (User Level): Number of unique activations, number of total activations, number of activations of a specific "engine".

Global Replay Engine Activations (World Level): Much like Vicarne suggested above, the ability to see how often a Replay Engine has been activated on a particular mission (EVE again), and more interestingly, perhaps, how often a specific "closed Rupture" has been revisited.

And a few (one, for now) I'm hesitant about personally, but thought I might as well include in this ever-present brainfart that is my cognition:

Number of Missions discovered: Assuming some missions won't magically "pop up", but require some digging by the agents themselves to uncover.

4 people like this.
  7. Ugly

Ugly Senior Agent

I like it! Will give me another use for my server. Sounds like all the data would be there to create a script that runs every hour and lets you know if there are any new ruptures within a certain distance, any changes to existing ruptures, and any agents who entered the area. Do ruptures have types or levels or some such that could be part of the data as well? That way, if a rupture needs a certain class, the net could be broadened for incoming agents of that type.

I would also love to see a way to send messages to agents via the API, however, that would have to be done very carefully to avoid spamming and unwanted messages and the like.

2 people like this.
  8. Anashel

Yes, maybe with a limit of message by hour by api key. Could be as simple as that.

As for the data, it will be almost real-time, you will simply going to query the slave server so you don't affect our performance. Memcache caching could be done to the minute.

9. Santiak

Santiak MIA

Depending on who would be sending the messages, couldn't one allow the Agent to set a filter?
    HQ (A&S broadcasted messages only), Sub-sectors (Division 66, Situation Room, TBW Agency - the RP sections, basically), Region (Messages sent by agents within the operating-sphere of the API holder, or city/country/set distance), Global (with the option to split it further into, say, class-specific groupings), and, albeit I'm not too fond of the possibility of it fragmenting the community; Friends-list?

That way, you can also allow agents to communicate effectively via the API in times of high-pressure, without exposing them to the risk of being flooded from unrelated messages.
    Say, for example, there's a huge break in something Situation Room related, HQ sends out a notification, and all interested parties unblock the Situation Room, if they had it blocked to begin with, of course.

10. Anashel

Oh, from our side, that's not a problem. It's more about someone initiating such a communication. I think a player should not be able to do anything higher then Region (city / km) when needing help or relaying information. The limit is to avoid someone to flood everyone. I am not too found of the friend list either. I think if you play, you play to be part of the community, or else do the solo mission. (Maybe I'm too harsh?)

11. Santiak

Santiak MIA

Sounds good. :)

And no, I personally do not think you're being too harsh - then again, I am biased, seeing as I mentioned I wasn't much for that one either, but thought I might as well put it forward, just in case.
    I agree the risk of fragmenting the community should be as low as possible, and adding the support for communicating with friends only (and in supporting the option, encouraging it), the risk of tightly-knit cells of Agents operating outside of the main community would be too high, and contrary to what makes ARGs so great - in my opinion.

2 people like this.