A Test.

Discussion in 'Fan & Sandbox Missions' started by Redfly, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Redfly

Redfly Active Agent

I received this today...

[​IMG]

I will post any more communications as I get them.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2015
    9 people like this.
  2. dylanamite

dylanamite Moderator

2 people like this.
  3. Zekh

Zekh Dimensionaut

Mythological references certainly, or religion, sigils maybe ?

Edit : Cosmology perhaps, with constellation names.

4. Reynard

Reynard Senior Agent

...Well, this was my awful meandering into a dead end. Hopefully it'll serve the purpose of saving someone else the time and effort.

I'm personally betting on the moon from a more poetic/archaic understanding of solar relations. If going on purely scientific terms, could be referring to Jupiter as there is the endless debate on whether or not it's an extremely low-end brown dwarf, making it a 'failed star' and thus a 'sibling' to Sol (our sun) in some respects. Then, there's Alpha Centauri (or depending on the prevailing theory of the day, Proxima Centauri), the closest star to us.

Sticking with astronomical phenomenon, tried to find any relationship between the numbers, spiders, Jupiter and/or the Moon and came up with very little. There is no spider constellation (Aranea) anymore, seems like its constituent parts got re-allocated elsewhere. There is a wolf constellation (Lupus), but they don't seem to have any meaningful overlap either with each other or with the moon (that I can see). The numbers I thought might be dates in 2015 that coincide with astronomical events (full moons, convergences, lunar eclipses). The problem of course being no clear way to decide if either number is the day or month, so I tried both.

Day First:
    03 01 (January 3rd): Quadrantids Meteor Shower, obscured by the near-full moon. Full moon doesn't happen until the 5th, but a nickname for it is "The Full Wolf Moon." Of course, that doesn't help since the date is off.

06 02 (February 6th): Jupiter is at its closest approach to Earth and its face fully illuminated by the Sun.

01 04 (April 1st): Nothing significant (beyond the typical prank shenanigans).

Month First:
    03 01 (March 1st): Nothing interesting.

06 02 (June 2nd): Full moon. "Full Strawberry Moon" or "Full Rose Moon" or "Full Honey Moon."

01 04 (January 4th): I return you to the January 3rd entry.

5. wyrme

wyrme Active Agent

there is a defunct "spider" constellation, and a southern sky "wolf" constellation. The spider seems to have been created almost satirically, as the man responsible also named the slug, limpet, leech, and nearly a dozen more. All lesser appreciated creatures.
    EDIT: There are spirit/totem animal connections as well for both. Subtle differences in interpretations. here is one such site. www.spiritanimal.info/

6. Felicity

Felicity Senior Agent

I think it would be disingenuous to think the answer to the 'sibling' is anything or than the moon without more context. The moon is the occam's answer, and without more context, it's just guessing if you go with anything else; plus, the part about the wolf heavily implies it's referring to the moon.

"All keys are in place." sounds like it's related to the puzzle.

Wolves howl, but what do spiders do? Vibrate? Drum?

There are spiders that make noises but they're the exception. That seems too literal an answer, though.

7. dylanamite

dylanamite Moderator

Arthropods have no vocal cords, so a spider couldn't "speak" to anything..

The numbers seem confusing. My first assumption was dates, but another agent looked at that. They could also be a cipher but it doesn't seem likely yet.
    Alphanumeric leads to CAFBAD which doesn't seem relevant.
    Hmm

8. wyrme

wyrme Active Agent

Style of wording, or approach could be a "speak as" The spider is receptive/passive, where the wolf is outgoing according to the sites I found on the totems/guides. Just grist for the thought mill.

2 people like this.
  9. Stigmata

Stigmata Senior Agent

So I did a lot of the same research and looking around as some of you did with no luck, but then I took a step back and looked at the name at the bottom of the message.

At first glance it looks like something maybe french or so, but then it looked forced to me. Boneours. Bone Ours. I dont think it directly relates to solving the riddle, but I did decide to plug it in to an anagram solver and it spit out, Osbourne - a very specific last name.

10. Khalm

Khalm Gold Member

2 people like this.
  11. Stigmata

Stigmata Senior Agent

So I'm pretty sure I got the first part solved.

The name part I discussed above is connected for sure.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2015
    2 people like this.
  12. Redfly

Redfly Active Agent

I got another communication today.

On my way home from work, I stopped to pick up my dry cleaning. As I was hanging up my shirts, I found a bunch of these in one of the pockets.

[​IMG]

I called my old University and spoke with my Professor in the computer sciences lab and lucky enough they still have a machine that can read these old punch cards. Below is the direct output of the machine. The blue squigly line means nothing - it was just really old paper.

[​IMG]

I have not solved any of this yet. I will post more communications as I get them.

13. Stigmata

Stigmata Senior Agent

Has anyone made any progress on this? I am totally stuck

14. Redfly

Redfly Active Agent

Whoever they are, they are monitoring our agents attempts at this. I got this on my phone today. Im wiping my laptop and phone tonight.

[​IMG]

15. Stigmata

Stigmata Senior Agent

Well crap, that last communication made all the difference to move on...